Photo

Mental Omega News Bulletin #17 (29/06/2015)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 29 June 2015 - 03:33 PM

It's happening. Mental Omega is finally expanding with the addition of a brand new side.

logo_allfactions.png

Finding out about Red Alert 2 having its expansion pack back in 2001 was a big deal for me. It was a time when access to the internet for me in my country was limited and the press wasn't all that keen on keeping up with the announcement so it wasn't until I checked price tags for various games in one of the PC gaming shops that I learned of Yuri's Revenge existence. By chance I had the opportunity to enter a well-equipped shop a few days after and I found a copy of it on the shelf.

When I put my hands on the Yuri's Revenge mission disc back then I realized I still had a day or two before I'd actually be able to install the game and play the thing since the shop wasn't at my hometown but in one of the bigger cities in the country. I spent some time carefully reading the manual included with the game, all translated in a weird way with some of the unit names localized in a hilarious way ("Czołg Rębajło"). Right after I was done reading I took a piece of paper and thought I'd come up with a faction of my own, inspired by the addition of Yuri's side to the game. You don't want to know what kind of a faction idea it was though. Well, maybe you do but I'm not telling, it was that silly.

This goes back further to when I was a Command & Conquer player. With the battle between GDI and Nod going on, I had the idea of introducing new sides with weird-sounding acronym-ish names like FIX or ZAP, the first having a tornado on a diamond as its logo, a grey/purple color scheme and air manipulation technology, while the second one's logo was WinAmp and was all about electricity and lightning, obviously. I had weird ideas as a kid but that was long before I even tried modding. Later on there was also a stage when I almost added Axis as a new side to Mental Omega 2.0.

Now, the 4th side is actually happening. My first idea for the game is taking shape.

Behind the #ControlMOre hashtag hides this new and large part of the project - a fully functional new side with its own subfactions, units, heroes and superweapons. Its own bases, airforce, navy, Engineers (surprise!), soundtrack and story. Your choice of arsenal grows from the 9 subfactions you are already familiar with to 12. While Mental Omega may not be the first to add a new side, it'll be done in a way you probably haven't seen before in Yuri's Revenge modding, for a simple reason - it will actually be done and released. For you.

The introduction of the new side will shine a different light on what you might have expected from Act Two so expect surprises in the campaign. I have seen that you are already trying to figure out the fourth faction's identity and origins, something that has already been hinted in Act One since the idea has always been there. Popular guesses so far have been: Aliens, Atlantis, "side from a different dimension", GDI/Nod, FutureTech beta, GDI or Nod. For some reason some of these always come up when there's discussion about adding potential new factions to Red Alert 2, I wonder why?

As we continue working on Mental Omega, we will reveal the features of Side 4 bit by bit.
Stay tuned for MOre MOnday News Bulletins and pre-release streams to follow.

If you want to post your ideas or share what you'd like to see for side 4, you can do it in this thread.

news_follow.png
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_ds.pngbt_tch.pngbt_right.png
controlmore.png

Edited by Speeder, 05 July 2015 - 02:44 PM.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

Heh, as a born modder, who actually started with Red Alert 1, when Yuri was released, and learned about its modding scene, I also started thinking of new sides, right from the start. Indeed, when I found Mental Omega 2.0 and played it, I was so inspired, that I decided to make a sequel to it, with two new sides: First, a robotic army created by the Allies against the mindcontrol tech of Yuri, that soon went out of control (and I even added the Cyborg Commando from TS), focusing on powerful bases that needed a lot of energy, and as such, had three tiers of power plants. Second, a GLA copy from Generals, a weak, but spammy terrorist organization that needed no power for their bases. Obviously, as I was just a kid back then, the units were overpowered and the graphics was either one of those free ones, stolen from mods, or made with MS Paint. I made quite a few missions too, but in the end, I never finished the mod and lost my work.

Later, I was thinking about returning to RA2 modding, now with a new, more unique style that would have been technologically advanced Egyptians, born out of a time machine accident, focusing on Ancient Egyptian inspired visuals mixed with High Tech, their superweapons actually shot from pyramids and the side being led by a pharaoh, but the idea never went anywhere, because shenanigans happened and I took hiatus from all modding for 5 years.

Following Mental Omega for god knows how many years now, and inspiring both my old and my current works (even if not modding RA2 anymore, or any RTS games), I'm actually kinda glad to see the project take this turn. Cannot wait.

(Btw, they are totally Kanagawa Industries. Because Future Tank.)

Edited by Solais, 29 June 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#3 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:51 PM

My prediction was it had something to do with Rashidi and/or Scorpion Cell. Rashidi seems to be a little too smart and manipulative to be Yuri's "yes man" sidekick. I was further convinced with one of the ACT 2 previews with the damaged Scorpion Cell Amplifier that's "acting funny." Second guess is Kanagawa, given their products, the building designs in Singularity, and general hi-tech robotic theme.

#4 MrFreeze777

MrFreeze777
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

I was as expecting the 4th side to be an overpowered boss faction that was only available in the campaigns, but now that  the 4th side having their own 3 set subfactions, soundtrack, heroes, superweapons, etc. is confirmed on skirmish/multiplayer. That took me by suprise. I can't wait until all this epic content from this new 4th faction is released.  :w00t:

Edited by MrFreeze777, 01 July 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#5 MrFakeSmile

MrFakeSmile
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

Side 4 = Global Allied Pacific Empire of the Zion Covenant :thumbsupxd:  :thumbsupxd:  :thumbsupxd:

a300625c0cbeafe695a2a08d5c1b5016o.jpg

#6 Asylum

Asylum
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

CABAL?  GloboTech?  Morlocks?  :p 

I'm guessing the new faction might help to explain why technology is already so advanced in the MO3 timeline (or just raise more questions...), so perhaps a certain amount of time-travel is involved.  

Something tells me the actual answer is going to be totally unexpected though. 

#7 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

No, no time travel. Time travel just makes everything confusing and messes up chronology.

#8 DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

title available

• Banned
  • 589 posts
  •  Mr. Socialite!

Posted 04 July 2015 - 02:27 AM

ITS THE KHAZARIANS! 

Holy FUCK! Supreme evil (and supreme cool) is here!

Dayum, sun! This looks intense!

#9 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

Mental Omega APYR 23.0

Don't mind me, I am trying to make APYR mean a different thing so as to make 'sense' what the fourth side is.

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

#10 embryo666

embryo666
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:50 PM

The colored APYR means:

Blue color is allied
Red color is soviet
Purple color is epsilon
Teal color is atlantis

#11 Yusuf Dayson

Yusuf Dayson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

LOL,I did not see this coming from the mod......... :w00t:

Anyway cool! :thumbsupcool:

Its must be Kanegawa Industries or Globotech! :xd:

Or may be there aliens or from another dimension! :huh:

(can't wait for the next release) :crazed:

#12 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

The colored APYR means:

Blue color is allied
Red color is soviet
Purple color is epsilon
Teal color is atlantis

Blue A = Allied

Red R = Russia

Purple Y = Yuri

Teal P = ???

Also, YR are together, as Yuri came from inside the Russia faction, so P might come from the Allied faction.

Polynesia?

Edited by Solais, 05 July 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#13 Yusuf Dayson

Yusuf Dayson
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

may be they are from the future since they are high-tech

#14 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

Compared to which side?

The Allies who got lasers and prisms beams and time manipulation tech and weather manipulation tech?

The Soviets who got cyborgs and tesla coils and advanced nuclear and earth breaker technology?

Or the Epsilon with their toxic tech, gene modifying tech and mind control tech, not to mention, anti-gravity tanks, UFOs and a giant flying fortress?

As far as I go, the P side is not higher tech than any of the "old" factions.

Edited by Solais, 05 July 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#15 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Compared to which side?

The Allies who got lasers and prisms beams and time manipulation tech and weather manipulation tech?

The Soviets who got cyborgs and tesla coils and advanced nuclear and earth breaker technology?

Or the Epsilon with their toxic tech, gene modifying tech and mind control tech, not to mention, anti-gravity tanks, UFOs and a giant flying fortress?

As far as I go, the P side is not higher tech than any of the "old" factions.

But makes more use of high tech weapons. Allies and Soviets still use conventional tanks and regular soldiers armed with rifles and machine guns. The new side seems to have basic infantry use lasers and power suits, and mechs as standard vehicles.

#16 Ultron's Legacy

Ultron's Legacy
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

Here's my theories on the Fourth Faction:

They are a conglomeration of both SteinsTech and Kanegawa working with Soviet scientists who defected to the Allies, their intent is save the world from Yuri and to end the threat of his psionics once and for all. By merging both their technological advances together (Allies: Prism, Chrono, Aeronautics; Soviets: Cybernetics, EMP, Heavy Armor), they unite to form said faction

Or...

They are from a parallel timeline where Einstein prevented both the original and the great WWII, ending with the Allies evolving into the fourth faction. Fast forward to the events of what would have been WWIII, where it is the Free World against Yuri's Epsilon resulting in his inevitable demise. A few years later, Einstein builds a device that travels through various timelines and stumbles upon the Mental Omega timeline in which Yuri is still around and winning. He goes back to his time line and warns the fourth faction of Yuri's imminent victory in the other time line resulting in reinforcements being sent in to Yuri once again.

#17 embryo666

embryo666
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

A = Allied
R = Red
Y = Yuri
P = ???

#18 Meyerm

Meyerm

Commisar

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

A = Allied
R = Red
Y = Yuri
P = ???

Pacific Union? I get a Japanese mecha vibe from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users