Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

In this week's update, we'll be showcasing a few excellent new maps, exclusive to The Dwarf Holds. Our very talented mappers have been working hard to create more interesting and visually-stunning maps for you to wage battles over, and the latest three certainly don't disappoint. Added to the increasingly long list of TDH's player-made maps will be Carnen by m@tt, and Minhiriath and Lossarnach by _Haldir_.

Posted Image

Carnen
Carnen, or the Redwater by its Mannish name, flows from the Iron Hills on the borders of Rhovanion and Rhun. Eventually meeting with the Celduin, the River Running, the river flows into the Sea of Rhun. The large amount of iron deposits carried from the Iron Hills gives the river a reddish tinge, and hence the name 'Redwater'.

Posted Image Posted Image

The map has a 1 vs 1 layout with castles, and contains several outposts, settlements, towers and strategic river crossings to control. Players can launch direct offensives through the centre of the map, or flank their opponent using alternate crossing points.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Above, Dain and troops from the Iron Hills cross the Carnen, and swiftly slay an orc raid. Dain and his bodyguard then defend the area against the combined forces of Mordor and Harad.

Posted Image

Minhiriath
Minhiriath lies in Eriador, forming the large expanse of land between the Greyflood and Brandywine Rivers. It was once populated by those travelling between Arnor and Gondor, and scattered tribes of wild men. However, the ruin of Eriador, and the fall of Arnor, have seen Minhiriath become desolate and ruined. Only remnants of it's former usage now remain.

Minhiriath is a 7 player castles map, the only one of its kind. Interesting as a free-for-all or a 3 vs 4 map, players will be able to fight over two central outposts, and numerous settlements and towers. The central bridge also allows players to pass both under and over it, making it a crucial strategic point to control.

Yeoman archers guard the entrance to the bridge, whilst the Rohirrim recover at the nearby outpost. Elfhelm, Theoden and Eomer then lead the Rohirrim under the bridge, whilst the archers keep watch from above. Lastly, Theoden rallies his Royal Guard by the shallow stream that meanders through the land.

Posted Image

Lossarnach
Lastly, but certainly not least, is Lossarnach, one of Gondor's southern fiefdoms. Located within the vales of the White Mountains, the River Erui flows through the centre of the town. Its mountainous woodlands are lush and green, and are filled with flowers in the spring. Lossarnach is home to many of Gondor's people, and its lord led a company of men to the defense of Minas Tirith during the War of the Ring.

The map has a 6 player castles layout - perfect for 3 vs 3 matches with teams each side of the river, or for some intense free-for-all matches. The town occupies the centre of the map, and is spread across the central river which is spanned by two bridges. There are two outposts, one on each side of the town, which players will find fun trying to defend amongst the narrow town streets and turns. The river is also forded on either side of town, providing various flanking options.

In the town streets, Boromir and Faramir defend a nearby settlement against attacking forces of orcs and haradrim. Gondor forces hold the south bridge against an orc incursion, and Boromir sounds the Horn of Gondor, quelling a raid on Lossarnach's outskirts.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#2 Nick-SoD

Nick-SoD
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

Wow...I can't believe you guys are still putting out quality material. I thought once RA was canceled that TDH was just going to put out what was closest to being finished and be done with it...Obviously not the case! :lol:

Kudos to the mappers, these look like some awesome locals and the layouts' variety is much appreciated; You guys are top notch! I'll be sure to stay more updated with this mod and anticipate the next release (still have BFME installed just for this mod ^_^ ).

...BTW, is that Denethor outside the castle I see there? :p

#3 Guest_ACDC_*

Guest_ACDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:30 AM

Awesome, keep up the good work :lol:
Can't wait for the next patch ^_^

#4 Guest_Grucha3_*

Guest_Grucha3_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

Wow ... awesome map, your work is great :lol:

#5 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

Beautiful maps, M@tt & Haldir.

A few notes of topography:

On the western part of Minhiriath:

The most western part of Minhiriath was the cape with the old forest of Eryn Vorn (literally translation 'Dark Wood' ('Mirkwood'!?)), which is another of the TDH maps. From a Dwarven perspective this part is interesting, because just to the northwest (about 100 miles from the river Baranduin, or Brandywine) is situated the old Dwarven city of Belegost, the renowned Gabilgathol ('Great Fortress') of the First Age:

Posted Image

[Baranduin is the river in the lower right corner of the map; the cape of Eryn Vorn can be seen south of the river.]

Above is an extract from the socalled 'First Map' (because it's the first map in the published LotR) - this was Tolkien's working map throughout all the years when he wrote LotR, and contrary to what the name suggest never replaced by a second version (although redrawn several times); This means that Belegost as shown on the map of the Third Age is safe lore, and it is also referenced several times in the texts, cf.:

Christopher Tolkien in History of Middle-earth VII: The first Map

... Very notably is the appearance of Belegost (L 5), which is marked on the 1943 map also ...

The coordinates corresponds approximately to the position of Belegost on Karen Wynn Fonstad's map of Beleriand in the First Age.

from LotR /RotK /Appendix B: The Tales of Years
Second Age, c. 40:
Many Dwarves leaving their old cities in Ered Luin go to Moria and swell its numbers.

from History of Middle-earth VII: The first Map [reference to Unfinished Tales, History of Galadriel and Celeborn]
... There were and always remained some Dwarves on the eastern side of Ered Lindon, where the very ancient mansions of Nogrod and Belegost had been ...

from LotR /RotK /Appendix A (iii))

... At its greatest Arnor included all Eriador, except the regions beyond the Lune [...] Beyond the Lune was Elvish country, green and quiet, where no man dwelt; but Dwarves dwelt, and still dwell, in the east side of the Blue Mountains, especially in those parts south of the Gulf of Lune, where they have mines that are still in use ...

The phrase "especially in those parts south of the Gulf of Lune" refers to Belegost.

The scale of the map is approximately 100 x 100 miles for each square.

On the town on the Lossarnach map:

Lossarnach is the name of the fiefdom around the river Erui ('first'), so called because it was the first (counted from Minas Tirith) in the region Lebennin (Land of Seven Rivers) - Tolkien cartographers usually name the main city of that fiefdom Arnach, cf.:

Neither Hirluin the Fair to the hills by the sea,
nor Forlong the old to the flowering vales
ever, to Arnach, to his own country
returned in triumph; nor the tall bowmen,
Derufin and Duilin, to their dark waters,
meres of Morthond under mountain-shadows.
red fell the dew in Rammas Echor.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...

#6 SoulFox

SoulFox
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

My God! Incredibly nice maps! very carefully HD and shiny maps! :popcorn:
I can not wait now! I very hope Merry and Pippin get new armor!
But one of dwarf units name two grenn dwarf units pikeman and shiede area't dwarf faction SAD!!! :thumbsupsmiley:
I hope good work longe future later unite 100.00 version :thumbsupsmiley:

#7 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:38 AM

Thanks everyone :popcorn: And thanks as always Namo.

#8 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Excellent new maps. :popcorn: I particularly like the small town layout and design in the Lossarnach map.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#9 Guest_CarlosMagno_*

Guest_CarlosMagno_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

When you release the next patch?
everything is so wonderful ^_^ that I need him now ^_^

#10 Legs

Legs

Shipwright of The Teleri

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

They've already said that it'll be released when it is done.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Utúlie'n Aurë! Aiya Eldalië Ar Atanatarni, Utúlie'n Aurë!

#11 SoulFox

SoulFox
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Release done but when march or april or may? :xcahik_:
I may be allowed to ask you. That one of the units in Erebor faction.
Two dwarf grenn dress with pikeman and sheid. I do not remember the name. ^_^
Why not two dwarf with pikeman and sheid get to Erebor faction? ^_^

#12 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

@SoulFox: You begin to ask intelligible questions - well done, young fellow. I guess you'll know the answers to those, when you've grown a beard as long as a spear. :)

Sigin-tarâg / Baraz-tarâg ! ... Tarâg-udrig / Rakhâs-ûdrig !!
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...

#13 SoulFox

SoulFox
  • Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thank you for you say to me. I wait several months have a beard! :)
I find the name of the dwarf is Vault Warden. Units from Khazad Dum. Now I remember! ^_^
I will be happy to come film The Hobbit, we can see real Erebor, Dale and goblin! :lol:

#14 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

In general, because adding them would add approximately one month to the map build time.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#15 {IP}Solstice

{IP}Solstice

The Relayer

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:24 PM

Intresting maps. I should probably reinstall bfme 1 when this comes out.
my political compass: http://www.political...-4.75&soc=-5.69
my website: http://future4.weebly.com/ (out of date)

#16 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Any chance of an update 'round these here parts? ;)

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#17 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

Fiiiiiine, but only because I'm procrastinating some ugly rigging.

sig.png

#18 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:10 AM

Any chance of an update 'round these here parts? ;)

It's only been 2½ weeks since this update came out, and this is the 3rd update in a row that you've asked Nertea for another progress update. Relax Yarrum, srsly :p.

#19 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:18 AM

Fiiiiiine, but only because I'm procrastinating some ugly rigging.

Yeah, about that...

;)

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#20 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

Any chance of an update 'round these here parts? :grin:

It's only been 2½ weeks since this update came out, and this is the 3rd update in a row that you've asked Nertea for another progress update. Relax Yarrum, srsly :p.

I'm just making sure the team stays on their toes. :huh:

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users