#1 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

With work on Hungary nearing completion my thoughts have wondered to other countries that could possibly be added to D-day. So I've dug through all my reference material to see what could be done & have come up with three possible additions to D-day. I've updated the unit list with info on these three new sides, but I doubt all the names & numbers mean much to most of you so here is a brief description of each of them. Click on the countries name to go directly to their section in the unit list

China:
Posted Image
People have been bugging me about adding China as a playable side for years & my stance has always been that they didn't have any of their own equipment & used a random assortment of units from other countries so they weren't feasible.

Well I decided to turn that from a negative to a positive view & have come up with a multi-branched tech tree that allows the player to pick & chose what countries they can "buy" units from. The unit list is split into three parts (Ground, Air & Heavy) at these points in the tech tree you can choose which countries units you'd like to use. So you could have British ground, German Air & Soviet heavy units, or you could have all three American etc.

I feel this set up best represents the fractal nature of China at the time & how different warlords had different equipment & so in-game different players can have different units. Post-war also benefits from this as depending on what tree you choose you can either play as PRC or the ROC forces in the Chinese civil war.

Some units of note are the Type 59 which will be know to any one who plays World of Tanks :p The P-40 Warhawk which was famously used by the American Flying Tigers. Also ROC F-86 Sabre's where the first aircraft to use homing air-to-air missiles while in combat with PRC Mig-15's.

Poland:
Posted Image
There has also been some interest in adding Poland in the past & while they produced many of there own armaments there defeat at the beginning of WW2 meant that development stopped. Unlike France who had many prototypes & projects which could be used they don't have enough ground units to fill every time frame. With the idea of a multi-branched tech tree still fresh in my mind I decided to fill the gaps with Allied & Soviet Free Polish ground forces.

So in the Pre/Early-war time frames the units are all of Polish origin, in the Mid/Late-war periods you can either choose to use Allied or Soviet equipped Polish ground forces. However to make things interesting both have advantages & disadvantages.

Allied:
Pro.
Better anti-aircraft unit.
Mobile artillery.
Con.
Weaker Medium tanks.
No Heavy tanks.

Soviet:
Pro
Better Medium tanks.
Can use Heavy tanks.
Con.
Weak anti-aircraft unit.
Uses towed artillery that needs to be deployed to use.

In the Post-war period Poland came under the Soviet sphere of influence & built locally produced copies of Soviet equipment, so their ground forces are very similar to the Soviet unit list.

Unlike the ground forces the Polish air industry was quite active before the war designing several prototypes & concepts to fill the Mid/Late-war period. After the war they continued developing & building there own designs, so all of the aircraft are of Polish origin across all time frames.

Some units of note are the 25TP heavy tank project & the TS-11 Iskra which is still in use today!

Sweden:
Posted Image
Sweden the greatest country to never fight in WW2... they have been neutral in all major conflicts for the past 200 years but to call their armed forces weak or insignificant because of this would be extremely wrong.

Even tho they tried to stay out of the conflict as much as possible they still prepared to fight if they had too. Swedish military spending drastically increased during WW2 to keep their military forces on par with other European nations.

Some of their designs did see action tho, the Strv L-60 & L-62 were built in Hungary as the Toldi & Nimrod. Of course they also designed the famous Bofors 40mm which was used by nearly every country during WW2 & is still in use today!

So far no work has been done in D-day on these countries other then these preliminary unit lists. I first wanted to get some community feedback & see if there is any preference to a specific country or even if there is objection to adding a new side, any & all thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Are you considering to add Brazil?
I know we didn't have any special equipment, but our guys did see a lot of action in the Italian Scenario. Our Airforce was commended by the US command.

Worth investigating, if you feel like :p

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#3 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

All of the Brazilian equipment was given to them by America, so they would be same as the US minus all the heavy & special weapons.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Interesting thought.
I feel that, Pacific thearter sides like China and Japan shall have more versatile infantrys, as historically the battles in Pacific focus much less on armored units than in Europe. I think China shall have some guerrilla riflemen/mortar/minelayer, being stealth and good to harase enemy miners. And Japan shall have suicide bomber/body trap/bicycal troops, to represant their fast moving and suicidal infantry doctrine. And both Asian sides may have some horse/donkey towed light artillery, perhaps built from barracks?
And, for China's Air unit list, don't you think it's a little strange to have P-40 and I-16(!!) in late war? Historically Nationalist ROCAF have P-51s in late war. You may be right that air war was not decisive in China thearter and ChiComs didn't have an air force anyway, but gameplaywise its another thing.

And for Polish, I'd like it as they have some nice early war designs. However, the most interesting unit for Poland shall be, perhaps, anti-tank-cavalry? :thumbsupxd:

#5 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

The unit list is split into three parts (Ground, Air & Heavy) at these points in the tech tree you can choose which countries units you'd like to use. So you could have British ground, German Air & Soviet heavy units, or you could have all three American etc.

One problem: like this, everyone would choose Soviet Heavy and US Air, no doubt.

#6 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

P-51's didn't reach ROC forces until the last few months of WW2 & weren't really operational until after the war. The same can be said of the Yak-9 too which didn't get to PRC forces until the 50's.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

P-51's didn't reach ROC forces until the last few months of WW2 & weren't really operational until after the war. The same can be said of the Yak-9 too which didn't get to PRC forces until the 50's.

Well that depends on how you define "ROC forces":

http://en.wikipedia....ki/P-51_Mustang

In China and the Pacific Theater

In 1943, P-51B joined the American Volunteer Group. In early 1945, P-51C, D and K variants also joined the Chinese Nationalist Air Force. These Mustangs were provided to the 3rd, 4th and 5th Fighter Groups and used to attack Japanese targets in occupied areas of China. The P-51 became the most capable fighter in China while the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force used the Ki-84 Hayate against it.
Chinese-American Composite Wing

In addition to the core Fourteenth Air Force (14AF) structure, a second group, the Chinese-American Composite Wing, existed as a combined 1st Bomber, 3rd Fighter, and 5th Fighter Group with pilots from both the United States and the Republic of China. U.S. service personnel destined for the CACW entered the China theater in mid-July 1943. Aircraft assigned to the CACW included late-model P-40 Warhawks (with the Nationalist Chinese Air Force 12-pointed star national insignia, rudder markings, and squadron/aircraft numbering) and B-25 Mitchell light bombers. In late 1944, USAAF-marked P-51 Mustangs began to be assigned to CACW pilots—first P-51B and C models followed by, in early 1945, D and K models, which were reduced-weight versions sharing many of the external characteristics of the D model aircraft including the bubble canopy. All U.S. pilots assigned to the CACW were listed as rated pilots in Chinese Air Force and were authorized to wear the pilot's wings of both nations.

If you count AVG and CACW, which are technically part of the ROCAF combat order, then it is yes.

Despite I agree with you that ROCAF on its own wasn't capable enough to handle and maintenance the expensive Pony.

#8 Enrico Satria

Enrico Satria
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Then theres that question have anyone did the Dutch/Netherlands units yet? 

They have tools since the prewar and there are several examples of their home built, aircraft, ships, and aircraft since the prewar until the post war, checking from my Indonesian History they have their own aircraft though in the mix of a allied aircrafts and captured aircraft ..... 

#9 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

The Dutch Pantserwagen M39 has been in D-day for a while & I plan to make a few of their aircraft but they are just bonus units, the Netherlands has no where near enough units to make a whole side

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users