• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

rosbnr01.jpg

Return of Shadow

theadbar.png

After more than 7 years I am finally dropping the Lone Wolf title for this mod and changing it officially to Return of Shadow.

It's time for a change and the old Lone Wolf name is no longer right for this project since it's no longer just me working on it.

This is something that's been gradually coming for a while now.

The transition

theadbar.png

With Beta 0.15 I'm essentially finalising the transition between the old Lone Wolf and the new Return of Shadow.

I'll be making a gradual transition over the coming weeks to the new Return of Shadow.

That means unfortunately my long faithful wolf logo is getting retired and there'll be some new banners, signatures and promo designs coming that are similar to the Age of the Rings style and match the mod's UI more closely.

Beta 0.15

theadbar.png

Beta 0.15 has been pushed back to the 5th of January.

Beta 0.15 of course adds Dunland but also many new balance changes and also serves as a lead up to Beta 0.2.

Lorien has received a lot of work since Patch 0.145 rebalancing them and fixing some issues.

With Beta 0.15 the first 5 factions will essentially be done.

The beta will come with around 7 new maps and updates to existing maps.

Thrain's Vale, Vale of Wulf, Northern Dunland, Wilderland Plains, Glanduin (by Fredius) and Helcaraxe (by MattTheLegoman).

Announcements

theadbar.png

Since I'm making big changes and announcements.

Return of Dawn AKA Lone Wolf 2 is once again cancelled but it maybe revived in the future if I can find an ideal coder to port it.

Age of the Rings/Beta 0.999 has also been cancelled so that I can better focus on Return of Shadow.

Age of Numenor is currently on ice, not entirely dead but not a priority, work is done on it occasionally but since it's a submod of Return of Shadow once the prerequisite work has been done I can finish it.

Chocolate and Onslaught are being pushed back a bit further to allow me to focus on Dunland and Rivendell but I'm looking at releasing at least one of those with the patch after 0.2.

Through the shadows and onto the future.

theadbar.png

I'd like to thank everyone who has supported my efforts with this mod and especially those who've worked on it and stuck around for a long time.

I look forward to keeping things going into the future with Return of Shadow.

I also hope to interact more with you guys and get some discussions.

If you have ideas and suggestions, want to share feedback, report bugs and balance issues or just want to talk about all things Return of Shadow be sure to join in on the conversation because the more people who take part the more interesting things are.

2014 should be a big year and with the new year upon us I think it's a perfect time to shake things up.

theadbar.png

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#2 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:26 AM

Just thought I'd post aboit your mod. I had a chance to skim through a few skirmish games and had a great time with all that you've done. I've never played your mods before so this was a real treat.

Being somewhat picky, I want to offer some thoughts. I feel like the new factions castles shouldn't all be round. Also I think dunland shouldn't have a walkable castle wall, they seem like they should have a larger palisade wall with plots for sentry towers.

Lorien, needs more graphical polish for their buildings and bibs - the bright colors stand out quite a bit and its just a touch over the top.

I like the new gondor wall textures and building textures bit they are just a bit too washed out and lose much of the detail when zoomed out, not too mention some of the harsh angles on the models stand out more.

The other complaint is a lack of good art for some of the units. The weird cartoony ones are terrible.

All in all I've found myself saying "what a great mod" many many many times while playomg and I'm lookimg forward to further updates

#3 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

Dunland originally had a basic palisade wall for their castle but not long before the beta I wanted Dunland to a bit "bigger" a bit more detailed and bit more like Rohan.

That way their castles weren't too much like Rohan's.

The palisade versions are still there in a form for map making.

Castle designs have limited options because of map designs but not all will have round bases, Dale's will be more squarish like Rohan's and Erebor's is an octagon.

You can't really do much else without having to adjust a lot of the maps to have more space which is a pity.

Something I wanted to with this mod was to hand draw the profile images but obviously it's very time consuming but still maybe one day it'll get done.

Thanks for the feedback glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by Radspakr, 10 January 2014 - 07:08 AM.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users