Photo

Dawn Of Skirmish DC v2.20 AI Mod is now LIVE!

89 replies to this topic

#1 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:31 AM

Dawn Of Skirmish *DARK CRUSADE EXPANSION ONLY* V2.2 RELEASE and Acknowledgements (Feb 2007)

Download Link #1
Download Link #2
Download Link #3
Download Link #4

Meet the Cast:
==============

Thudo (Thudmeizer)..>> Team Lead/Scripter/Bonafied Cheerleader
ArkhanTheBlack......>> Lead Coder/Scripter
LarkinVB............>> Lead Coder/Scripter/Beta Tester
Corsix..............>> Coder
Zenoth..............>> Beta Tester
Malkor..............>> Beta Tester
Markoso.............>> Beta Tester
Troubadour..........>> Beta Tester
Serpentofshadow.....>> Beta Tester

Introduction
============

Prepare for a more enhanced Dawn Of War - Dark Crusade skirmish experience!

This project started after the release of Dawn Of War with the intent to bring to the global DoW community a more intense and satisfying AI opponent on the field of war. We hope you will agree

that has been achieved with the understanding more is to be done in the future. Our work continues to evolve and in the coming months will make current efforts pale in comparison. However, you

have to start somewhere and hot damn what a jumpstart!

Its been a slice from start to, well, continuing! We're so looking forward to enhancing the AI even further in the coming months!

A Personal Thanks
=================

At this time I would like to personally thank all the participating members of the team:

ArkhanTheBlack, LarkinVB, Excedrin, and Corsix, as well as our beta testers (all who keep our work in-perspective" and "on-track" with our ultimate goals of achieving the most competitive DoW AI

opponent we can create!).

Its through your dedication, patience, and technical expertise that allowed the work to commence and prosper. Without you fellers, there'd be a pittence of work compared to the greatness this

project has become. We've come a long way and do sincerely hope to continue our expert correspondance into the future of the product.

Disclaimer
==========

This is to acknowledge that we take no personal responsibility for any hardware damage or data corruption brought forth by the use or installation of this DoW modification. As used, this

modification works "as is" and has been thoroughly tested and should not cause any major problems. In the event, however, that something serious does occur, it is up to the user(s) of their

computer(s) to make appropriate backups before any attempt is made to install the following DoW modification. Use at your own risk.

Whats In The Package?
====================

o Main Installation Package containing the Enhanced DoW AI scripts (contains ONLY those .ai files that our team altered)
o Dawn Of Skirmish DC V2.2 dowai.txt (what your reading)
o Doc folder containing information how to add your own faction to the AI project.

Installation
============

Piece of Cake! Run the executable and it will extract to where your <installed Dawn Of War folder> is.

Once installed, run the newly placed shortcut on your desktop "DOW Skirmish AI V2.1" or from StartMenu/Programs/"Dawn Of War Skirmish AI Mod". You will know if the modification is running when on

the top-left section of the Dawn Of War Main Menu it will display: Dawn Of Skirmish V2.1.

To uninstall this modification, go back to StartMenu/Programs/"DOW Skirmish AI Mod" and choose "Remove Dawn Of Skirmish AI Mod" to remove the modification from Dawn Of War.

**NOTE**

This version of the AI mod will only work with the Dark Crusade Expansion.

What's new in Dawn of Skirmish DC AI 2.2?
=========================================

o Rework of large parts of the code to increase the performance, get rid of lags and and fix the MP sync problems
o IG bunkering (Only with activated 'AI SCAR support' option in the game options)
o Transport code (Only with activated 'AI SCAR support' option in the game options)
o Units enter buildings for deepstriking
o Improved capturing, jumping, harassing, attack and defense behaviour
o Race specific build order and tactic improvements
o Lots of bug fixes
o Includes Heroes Special mod, which allows units to gain experience levels (Activate 'Heroes' in the game options to use that)

AI Highspeed Setting
====================
Option set in the game mode panel at the setup of a game.

People who experience heavy lag and sync problems in multiplayer should try this option.
Some AI calculations are simplified or skipped to increase performance.
But beware, the AI could be slightly weaker because of that.

AI SCAR support
===============
Activates AI donations, IG bunkering, support for transport vehicles

Heroes Special
==============
Activates the Heroes Special mod which is a rework of CutterShanes exceptional Heroes mod, that specializes
only on the unit experience system. Have a look at the Heroes Special readme file for further information.
There's also a Heroes Special modding document which describes the inclusion and modification of Heroes Special
for other mods.

AI Donation System
==================
Option can be toggled in the AI Config Panel

- All races donate requisition if they own more than 800

- All races demand requisition if they own less than 200

- All races donate power if they own more than 600 (Necrons: more than 1100)

- All races demand power if they own less than 200 (Necrons: less than 400)

AI Config Panel
===============

There are several options you can change for each difficulty level to adjust the AI behaviour to you liking.

1.) Dancing
~~~~~~~~~~~
Dancing is the ability to run away with ranged units if they are attacked in melee.
There are three possible settings:
a) Off => Dancing is not used at all
b) Standard => The AI is restricted to only dance with one unit at a time
c) Godlike => The AI will dance with several units at a time if necessary

2.) Attack Delay
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This forces the AI to wait with an attack until a specif time has passed.
You can adjust this time in two minute steps from 0 to 20 minutes.

3.) Tech Speed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With an increased teching speed, the AI will spend its resources more on teching than on building troops.
With a decreased teching speed, the AI will spend its resources more on building troops than on teching.

4.) Teching Handicap
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A handicap will slow down the teching of an AI. It will also hoard more ressources
instead of spending it immediately for units or buildings.
You can give allies an handicap or opponents. If you give allies a handicap, all
AI's allied with a human player are affected. If you give opponents a handicap, all
AI's not allied with a human player are affected. You can use this behaviour for
example to weaken AI opponents if you don't feel good enough to face them at full
strength. Or you want the exact opposite, a real challenge, and weaken your own
allies, so you have to do more yourselve.

5.) Allow alternative strategies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All AI's have 4 different strategies:

- A solid allround strategy
- A special ranged strategy
- A special melee strategy
- A vehicle fast tech strategy

If alternative strategies are activated, the AIs will choose one of those strategies at the start by
random, though the chances of each strategy are influenced by opponent and map size. If deactivated,
the AI will always choose the solid allround strategy.

6.) Early Harassing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This allows commanders and combat troops to make an attack at an extremly early state to
avoid opposing scout capturing strategic points. If successfull, this can severly cripple
the opponents ressource income and decide the game at a very early state. On the other side,
harassing can also lead to a quick sacrifice of troops, which gives the opponent an advantage.
Harassing is only possible in the first 4 minutes.

7.) Multiple Troop Production Buildings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The AI normally builds more troop production buildings if it has excess ressources. This allows
often an outproducing of the opponenr who can't replace its losses fast enough.
Bear in mind that the AI might still build more troop production because of other reasons. IG for
example need to build them to increase their squad and support caps. In this case those buildings
are normally only built a bit later. This can also hurt the balance between the races since some
of them are affected more and others less of it.

8.) Allow Relic units
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If deactivated, the AI won't build any Relic units like the Baneblade from the Imperial Guard or the Chaos
Bloodthirster.

9.) AI donations
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allows the AI to donate resources.

Comments?
=========
Visit us at our home base: http://forums.revora...p?showforum=478
You can also drop by the official Relicforums here: http://forums.relicnews.com/

Thanks to everyone on the team for you incredibly hard work getting this compatible with all the major balance changes in WinterAssault and thanks to you, the community, for your patience!

We'll be watching for your general comments and experiences. Enjoy everyone and get some serious battlefield ownage going on! :thumbsupdrool:
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#2 Dralafi_XIII

Dralafi_XIII
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:45 AM

OMG! I was just gonna do a quick check to see if it was up before I went to bed, and HERE IT IS! Looks like I'm not getting any sleep tonight... :thumbsupdrool:

EDIT: P.S. You guys rock!

Edited by Dralafi_XIII, 19 February 2007 - 04:46 AM.

#3 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

:thumbsupdrool: Enjoy! The Advanced Ai team is proud of this one x 10,000 !

#4 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:11 AM

Where is the AI donation switched on/off. With AI SCAR support ingame or with config panel or both ? Readme is not clear about this.

#5 Valkirie

Valkirie
  • Project Team
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

NICE !

#6 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

Where is the AI donation switched on/off. With AI SCAR support ingame or with config panel or both ? Readme is not clear about this.

You need both. It belongs to the SCAR section, and so it needs SCAR support, but you also have to select it in the AI control panel.

#7 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

I only had time for one game with 2.2 AI Mod and the 1.71 UC Mod combination, but what I have seen was wonderful stuff.

Congratulations again, on yet another wonderful success!

And thanks for NOT waiting until Relic released the next patch. Who knows, that might be six months or a year from now, for all we know. It's nice to have 2.2 AI Mod now.

#8 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:45 PM

Thanks everyone!

#9 mdcertainty

mdcertainty

Sage-Otaku-Monk

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

Whoa, usually i only read posts and collect information :evgr: . But this time i MUST contact you guys. I just gave your new AI a try. This AI enhancement is incredibly, its excellent. I had a battle some minutes ago with 1 vs 1 on a little 257 sized map and the AI played like never before :) .
What an amazing experience, THANK YOU for developing and sharing such a great program.
With this AI mod it´s really a new challenge to win... GREAT :crazed: . I´m looking forward to the ucoming AI Battles from now on.

By the way is it possible to use the AI mod without Problems on Custom Maps?

Greetings
mdc

ec-sig-early.gif

#10 Maktaka

Maktaka
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

You guys ROCK! Thanks for your continued work on this excellent mod.

By the by, I see you finally broke 1 MB on the download size. Either you've got an insane amount of code in there or the installer graphic has more detail than I thought.

#11 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:20 PM

Depends on what customizations the map has that could conflict with the AI? Watch out as some maps do funky things our AI would have a hard time doing. If the map causes an AI error then we don't support the map.

#12 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

Thank you, guys! I think the inclusion of the Heroes mod in this mod is brilliant and it will probably make the AI even harder to beat at harder difficulties. We are 2-7 friends that often play online as well as LAN games and the AI 2.1 mod just made it so much easier (and FUN!) to match our teams up... Or we even enjoyed going 3vs3 on three hard comps. They are just insane on a large map! I heard myself say "Game over, man! They're just gonna come and they are just gonna come and..."

Are Donations still a no-no in mp? How about mp and SCAR/Heroes?

Thanks again for "fixing" the lame AI and taking it far beyond any current game with this version! I mean bunkering, transports... deepstrike!! It just sounds too awesome to be true! :crazed:

Edited by Inquisitor, 19 February 2007 - 09:18 PM.

The Emperor knows, the Emperor is watching.
Want to zoom out further? Try this camera mod.

#13 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

We're doing more testing in the multiplayer side of things.

Try to ensure when your playing multiplayer with our MOD + SCAR and HEROES enabled that:

1) the machines connected in the multiplay session are fast computers and
2) don't stay in the game lobby too long before starting a game. Its been reported that the longer you stay waiting for the game to start the more likely a synch error can occur. Try limiting your game lobby time to under 30-40second. Again.. I need to test this here.. I'll post my results.

#14 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

Are Donations still a no-no in mp? How about mp and SCAR/Heroes?

The AI performance was increased by a large amount, therefore it 'should' work without problems. The only critical time is directly at the start of a game. I get a 10 sec lag even with vanilla AI and a testers reported problems only at this time. Therefore just try it! If you don't get a sync error at the start, then you shouldn't have any problems.

#15 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

Alright. Thank you for your replies!

We will test mp with 2.2 one of the next days and I will post my experiences. :crazed:
The Emperor knows, the Emperor is watching.
Want to zoom out further? Try this camera mod.

#16 mdcertainty

mdcertainty

Sage-Otaku-Monk

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:48 PM

Depends on what customizations the map has that could conflict with the AI? Watch out as some maps do funky things our AI would have a hard time doing. If the map causes an AI error then we don't support the map.

Ah, i see thanks for your respond thudo :crazed: . I´ll try some custom maps than too. :)

ec-sig-early.gif

#17 Serpentofshadow

Serpentofshadow
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:53 AM

Hey Arkhan, is it possible to activate the Heroes mod in the campaign? I tried out the Heroes stuff in MP and a Skirmish game and love it, works fine. However, in the campaign I don't see the "Regular", "Experianced", etc on the right side when selecting a single squad. That of course leads me to believe that it isn't on. I would love to see it in action in the campaign, can it be done or am I just missing something?

#18 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:22 AM

As mentioned yesterday I started a Campaign with Chaos, on Hard difficulty. I first conquered an Imperial Guard province, and then moved on against the Orks. But I got a Fatal Error after reloading the game (which in turn makes my Campaign progress null, but I shall get over it). I know that the A.I Mod implementation to the Campaign is still at its early days and quite experimental though.

Note that I had no errors at all during the game. It occurred right when the game began after I reloaded my Saved Game to resume game-play. However I had no errors after reloading my game when I faced the Imperial Guards one mission earlier. It probably just has something to do with the Orks, or not, I'm not sure.

Here:

Error occurs upon reloading the game ...
Posted Image

Error seems to be explained partially in the console messages ...
Posted Image

#19 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:21 AM

Well I finally got around to running some Advanced AI LAN tests between 2 computers:

First Computer:
P4 2.8 Oc'ed to 3.1, 1gb PC-3500 RAM Dual Channel, MSI Neo Mobo, ATI 800XT w/latest ATI drivers, SCSI U-160 drives + WinXP w/ServicePack1 only (bought in June'03) - running game @ 1600x1200 with all max details (no AA or AF)

Second Computer:
Conroe E6700 Oc'ed to 3.66Ghz, 2gb PC2-8000 RAM Dual Channel, Asus P5W DH Mobo, Nvidia EVGA 8800GTX w/ACS3 cooling w/latest drivers, all SATA2 HDD system + WinXP w/ServicePack2 (bought mostly in Aug'06) - running game @ 1600x1200 with all max details (AA and AF are all maxed!)

Played 9 games. 1vs1 on 2p_BloodRiver and 2p_FallenCity and 2vs2 on 4p_MountainTrail.

Game modes running: Annihiliation, SCAR Support, and Heroes

The result?

All but one game of the 9 worked flawlessly. It de-synched 5-8 mins in one game on 2p_FallenCity between a Necron and Tau Player. That was it!

All other games worked fine as I tried to break the multiplayer game.

So I don't get it?! We have to figure out if it has something to do with a slower computer OR slower laggy connections.

Just as a reference I checke the connection speed and each game of the 9 was xferring data @ 1kb/sec both up and down. :scars: Damn thats slow.. wish there was a way to speed the game up so the lag between issuing commands was as good as Warcraft3. :scars:

#20 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

@Zenoth
Thanks for reporting, I wished I would have known that earlier. It seems that the ability ID's can get lost after a a game was reloaded. I've a quickfix which I'll test with dowxp first...

@Serpentofshadow
Hmm, not as easy as in skirmish mode. I think a SCAR script has to be started by the map setting. Therefore all campaign maps would have to be modified. But maybe there's an easier solution I don't know. Maybe you ask around in the Relic forums modding section. I think the people with the campaign mods should know such things.

Edited by ArkhanTheBlack, 20 February 2007 - 09:53 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users