#1 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

This thread is not really meant for a 1000 replies, but rather to state my "Disclaimer" and views upon the matter of LAW vs Modding! Posted Image

Ever since I started this mod back in December 2006 I've occasionally read about what is legal and what is not, when it comes to modding...

1) Using stuff from other modders (without credit or permission) is not illegal "per sé", but it's definitely bad etiquette and behavior, and it will most likely have the thief lynched by the modding community (with all right) and the person will have a hard time ever getting back and becoming accepted. And if you wanna take things to the extreme, all creators of whatever it is actually have copyright (by law) if they can prove that they were the initial creators... This is however not pursued by any modder as far as I know, since telling people not to steal their stuff is usually enough, and I doubt a modder would take another modder to court over this. Hence the "not illegal per sé" comment... even if it actually is "on paper".

2) Using stuff from the game you are modding is naturally the whole purpose of modding, but it's only allowed as long as you use stuff that is in some way included in the game, and then modified by you or your team, or not. Some modify stuff to the extreme, others only make some slight changes. It's all still modding though off course, and it's all allowed as long as the game manufacturer INTENDED the game to be modded and thus programmed the game in that way.

3) Using stuff from OTHER games (in the series naturally) is not allowed, since it could interfere with sales of the products. If we would for instance use a lot of stuff from the expansion RotWK, it might interfere with EA's sales of the RotWK game, and that is naturally something that has to be respected. If not, in theory we could get prosecuted - and we would lose, BIG time!

Now to the personal views...
It's just that I personally dont think that EA Games gives even the slighest piece of interest about the modding community! EA is, as far as I know, the worlds largest developer of games and they have a REALLY impressive track record with games such as the incredibly successful Sims-series. Usually I find 90% of their productions to be 100% good, but just in the case of Lord of the Rings, they made me incredibly disappointed. Hence the mod! :p

Now, considering how incredibly BIG they are, and how insanely many titles they have, I highly doubt they have the time or interest to care about mods, even if the mods reach very high in popularity, I think that what matters to them is:
- Keeping deadlines!
- Raising sales and keeping them up as long as possible!
- Produce new titles that fills the sales chart when the older titles die and fade away...

So, if we take BFME1 for instance, that game is no longer available. It's gone/obsolete/expired/discontinued or whatever you wanna call it. In other words = no longer buyable! Still, some people are saying that this falls under category 3 anyways. I have no idea if that is so, but logic sorta tells me it can't be. If a PREVIOUS game that is no longer in production, is used for material, I personally fail to see how that could be illegal in any way. Why? Cause EA wouldn't loose sales of BFME1 since it can't be bought any longer anyways? It would instead improve (for some) the current title that is being modded, and since you can't run the mod without the original game, it should help them sell even more games of the modded title? Right? ;)

I'd like to use some stuff from BFME1, like other mods have, but when I started by using the ShellMap and Intro Movie from BFME1, I got some hard reactions. I'd also like to use some minor stuff from RotWK, but I wont off course cause logic tells me it collides with Copyright and might affect sales of RotWK. BUT it would still be VERY interesting to see some kind of document from EA stating the obvious and not so obvious concerning these matters... It is ALL based on logic and forum members views and posts, and it would feel a lot better to have a real EA document that tells us the REAL rules of modding EA games ;)

I have the deepest respect for EA as a developer and company, even if I didn't like what they did with this license in particular, but I'd surely like to hear/read about their views upon these matters than simply reading what other modders think/beleive...

That's all :blink:

Edited by Nazgûl, 23 July 2007 - 10:45 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

EA's stance:

NO PART OF THIS FILE OR THE SOFTWARE MAY BE COPIED,
REPRODUCED, TRANSLATED, OR REDUCED TO ANY ELECTRONIC MEDIUM OR
MACHINE-READABLE FORM WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF
ELECTRONIC ARTS.

And yet, EA is entirely aware of our modding activities, and even supports The3rdAge (Apoc wrote about us a while back in the BfME1 Newsletter!) as well as the rest of the community (as proven by the Mod SDK).

We are playing on a very gray area here. Clearly, no BfME or CNC mod has ever received EALA's disapproval (AFAIK), so we should consider ourselves free to play with their creations.

However, I would personally never go and fiddle with different titles without EA's consent. Should they not express their discontent, then I would consider this as possible. That being said, I'm modding for the pleasure of modding and would therefore attempt to recreate what I'm after myself :p (leading to miserable failure I'm sure).

S.E.E. so far is a great mod, and this little discussion should not interfere with your ideas Chris. This subject of modding's legality pops up every now and then ;)
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#3 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

EA's stance is like most PC games stance on mods. They claim they don't want modders in their games, but they support them. Most want modders because certain mods (SEE and RA are great examples of this) bring people who don't like the normal game, but do like the changes.
Posted Image

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:37 PM

Yeah and a part of the motivation for me is giving something back to the developer in terms of possible raise in sales of the original game. I've gotten loads of comments like "Wow finally I get to enjoy this game that has been in my shelf for ages", and even better "My friend has this game, but I never liked it until now, so I'm gonna go buy it too so I can enjoy this mod". That is really inspirering and motivating and it makes me feel like this hobby is giving something back to EA too. I don't wanna mess with them, just cause I didn't like how BFME turned out, I just wanna make the game better for me and as many others as possible. That can in no way be a bad thing for anyone, and about me adding BFME1 stuff, I still stand by what I said ^

But I will compose a nice email and ask them. If they answer I will eat my socks (well maybe taste them, lol) :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Garrison Nomad

Garrison Nomad

Bringin' in Da Boyz

• Project Team
  • 608 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for SEE
  •  I'm in your closet...eating your clothes.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

I've always wondered if...say, RA comes out next year, and suddenly the retired BFME1 community explodes with players. U ever think EA would try to "buy" a mod, or is that even legal? Technically, anything they added doesn't belong to EA. Still, the world of production is a danegrous place, lemme tell ya.

Wish u could use RotWK stuff....it's pretty funny, to me at least, that RotWK is doing pretty well for an EA title. It's made a lot of people go "mhmmmm, i'm getting this" with its flashy new units, but of course they don't show you the important things, like the fact that wall are made of paper. I've actually spread the word that the game has terrible balance, and dropped "Go download a mod" several times. =)

I've always wondered that if certain mods (like this one) progress so far as to be absolutely incredible, if EA will find some mediocre illegal flaw and attempt to flush the whole thing. Course, they'd contradict themselves and become an embarrassment to all other major Game developers (blizzard, whooo!), but what do they care.

Rock on T3A. :p
If I were you and you were me I'd have a different face.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"The only real things are imaginary..."

#6 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

If they decided to find a illegal flaw in the modding process and try to "flush" to modders, they would spend millions of dollars on laws, protection software in video games, etc that they would rather keep.

I don't actualy think BFME1 is not "buyable." BFME1 and 2 are still availble side by side on the shelf. I bought BFME1 long after 2 came out. Also, Lauri and mh_gollum do BFME1 stuff, and probably a few more folks. Elvenstar is also still kicking [img]http://www.bigscreen.se/forum/phpBB2/images/smiles/vader_fight.gif[.img]
My friend likes playing games at my house because 1) I turn graphics as high as possible, while he doesn't care about his own games 2) I always have lots of mods that expand on games he has :p
He even bought a game because I owned it, so its true that they can make money off games that have mods running around.

I would also say to not try to get files from ROTWK and BFME1 becuase, technically, is illegal. As long as they don't have the little 'registered' mark, I don't have a problem with anyone making their own :p *hint*

Stealing other modders stuff is NOT illegal (in fact, you'd loose in court if you were the modder, but it is rather rude/mean/foolish), but stealing/sharing/giving music IS illegal. So LotR music that's avaible for d/L is illegal...

This post doesn't really have a point I'm trying to make, I'm just commenting on stuff...So if you thought I was trying to say something, I'm not :p

#7 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

It's all about making money. If EA could profit from a lawsuit, or reduce damages to their sales, they would do it.
But. Modders usually don't have much money, unless they run their own company. Also someone would need to collect all the sales data and identify a negative correlation between raw sales numbers and (hard to quantify) game modding numbers.

Sounds to me this is never going to happen. The moddability for games exists only for the purpose of keeping up the interest in the game, either to stabilize current sales, or to keep buyer interest for further titles in the series.

Big companies are naturally not big on the 'Information is free' front. They try to keep it to themselves and maximize profit. If they DO make stuff accessible, believe me, making money is what is driving this.

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#8 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

@ GN: Just as a side note... and reply to what you was saying:

- If I was an EA producer, I'd keep my eye on the modding community REALLY hard! Why? Simple - cause we represent the DIE HARD fans of their products. And even though we don't like them enough to not mod them, we still like them enough to buy them AND take the trouble of modding them :p

Now, with all the fans of the mods that actually go buy the game "only" to play the mod, or mods for that matter, I'd keep my eye on which mods do extremely well and in the case of RA and TEA I'd even consider, like you say" "buying" the work and make it an official EA endorsed expansion, complete with package and manual and the works! This way EA would send signals to their customers that they DO care about what people think about their products, and not only that they get them sold. And also, the cost would be nothing in relation to the sales. Printing 100 000 DVD's that goes for @15-20 in stores and getting the material from people that have worked for months/years for free.

I know this is silly and they would never do it. I'm just saying I would consider it ;) I would even consider hireing people like Cahik, Ched, Celeglin, Sûlherokhh, Nertea and similar talents if I was a top EA producer... That's the way to find the righ man for the job :p

@Clone: you're wrong, it IS (technically) illegal too, cause Copyright applys to eveyone, from a minor photograph on the Internet to a skin in a mod. It's just that noone would ever go through the trouble of prosecuting. Since I'm a journalist I do know a thing or two about Copyright ;p And it would also be loaded with discussions who has the original copyright since all things LOTRs is actually Tolkien Enterprises, as we all know, I mean originally =p

I S.E.E. the blurr - do you? :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 24 July 2007 - 03:59 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#9 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

Woah, looks like this one has turned into a bit of a discussion :p

1) Using stuff from other modders (without credit or permission) is not illegal "per sé", but it's definitely bad etiquette and behavior, and it will most likely have the thief lynched by the modding community (with all right) and the person will have a hard time ever getting back and becoming accepted. And if you wanna take things to the extreme, all creators of whatever it is actually have copyright (by law) if they can prove that they were the initial creators... This is however not pursued by any modder as far as I know, since telling people not to steal their stuff is usually enough, and I doubt a modder would take another modder to court over this. Hence the "not illegal per sé" comment... even if it actually is "on paper".

Stealing other modders stuff is NOT illegal (in fact, you'd loose in court if you were the modder, but it is rather rude/mean/foolish), but stealing/sharing/giving music IS illegal. So LotR music that's avaible for d/L is illegal...

@Clone: you're wrong, it IS (technically) illegal too, cause Copyright applys to eveyone, from a minor photograph on the Internet to a skin in a mod. It's just that noone would ever go through the trouble of prosecuting. Since I'm a journalist I do know a thing or two about Copyright ;p And it would also be loaded with discussions who has the original copyright since all things LOTRs is actually Tolkien Enterprises, as we all know, I mean originally =p

Just to clarify, seeing as there's a lot of contradiction in here, that last quote is pretty much the correct one. The moment a person creates anything that can be deemed creative, be it the written word, a photograph, a piece of music or in our cases, maps, models, textures and such, then it's automatically granted a small manner of protection in the form of the owner's copyrights.

The real trick of course with copyright, is being able to prove that the content was actually yours in the first place. A good technique for that, if you have something important is to seal it in an envelope and post it to yourself - because then you have a date-stamped, and sealed piece of evidence.

Although I can't really see anyone doing that for mod work.

As for the last bit - Tolkien Enterprises own the rights to the names and likenesses (appearance) of the characters and locations in LOTR - but if you make a 3d model or something based on those, that model is actually yours. They own the copyright for the basis, you own the copyright for the mesh / textures etc. They can of course, actually demand you never distribute / display the model, but the likelihood of that is pretty remote, as it's quite a pointless thing to do.

2) Using stuff from the game you are modding is naturally the whole purpose of modding, but it's only allowed as long as you use stuff that is in some way included in the game, and then modified by you or your team, or not. Some modify stuff to the extreme, others only make some slight changes. It's all still modding though off course, and it's all allowed as long as the game manufacturer INTENDED the game to be modded and thus programmed the game in that way.

This isn't always true - you could for example take a game like Unreal Tournament 2004 and completely throw away the entire UnrealScript code basis, and all of the media, and start from absolute scratch using just the renderer, but that's a really minor point.

There is a bone of contention with that though, for example the propensity for 'Halo Trial' modding using the toolset provided and intended for use with Halo Custom Edition. Doing so is actually in violation of the demo and toolsets EULA, and distributing that content is a big no. Because of that, there are actually more players playing the damned demo online than the original game, because modders have ripped the content out of the original game and made it available to those without. I'm personally quite surprised that Bungie or Microsoft haven't put an end to that yet - although perhaps the game is reaching abandonware status and it's just assumed to not be economically viable to pursue the dozens of 'Halo Trial' modders.

3) Using stuff from OTHER games (in the series naturally) is not allowed, since it could interfere with sales of the products. If we would for instance use a lot of stuff from the expansion RotWK, it might interfere with EA's sales of the RotWK game, and that is naturally something that has to be respected. If not, in theory we could get prosecuted - and we would lose, BIG time!

It's not just sales, consider that by taking something out of one game, and making it available for download for another, you've actually just allowed someone content from something that they haven't paid for. There's also a matter of it being able to affect licensing, and there's the want for companies to protect their properties in matters of presentation to the public, and they'll behave like three year olds guarding a new found treasure in order to do so, or more often than not, in a way that'll seem completely illogical to you and me.

You'd be surprised just how much impact user generated content can have. Do I need to remind people of Hot Coffee, the Oblivion ratings scandal, or even the Sims 2 hamster virus?

It's just that I personally dont think that EA Games gives even the slighest piece of interest about the modding community! EA is, as far as I know, the worlds largest developer of games and they have a REALLY impressive track record with games such as the incredibly successful Sims-series. Usually I find 90% of their productions to be 100% good, but just in the case of Lord of the Rings, they made me incredibly disappointed. Hence the mod! :p

Now, considering how incredibly BIG they are, and how insanely many titles they have, I highly doubt they have the time or interest to care about mods, even if the mods reach very high in popularity, I think that what matters to them is:
- Keeping deadlines!
- Raising sales and keeping them up as long as possible!
- Produce new titles that fills the sales chart when the older titles die and fade away...

EA's stance is like most PC games stance on mods. They claim they don't want modders in their games, but they support them. Most want modders because certain mods (SEE and RA are great examples of this) bring people who don't like the normal game, but do like the changes.

This is kind of a very unfair (and perhaps a little misconceived) comment to make, because EA Games isn't one big development team frittering away endlessly to produce enormous quantities of games - it's a large company who have a number of smaller subsidiary companies under their payroll, some of whom are entirely owned by EA Games, some of whom are partially independent, and some of whom are completely independent but have publishing relations with EA Games.

EA Games is in fact for the most part, primarily a publisher and not a developer of games, although they are certainly developing a lot more than they used to.

EALA (CnC Generals / CnC 3 / BfME Series) are by no means the same as Maxis (Sim City / The Sims) and are by no means the same company. Even if they're both published by EA Games, they're produced by different developers, who will have entirely different stances to modding and user generated content.

As it happens, EALA aren't enormously protective of their content, and they have a fair track record when it comes to providing for their respective modding communities. Did they not release a toolset for use with all of their released games thus far? Did they not release a number of high-quality models for use by Renegade modders to use in their work? Did they not allow Red Alert: A Path Beyond (originally a total conversion for Renegade) to release their work as a fully downloadable standalone game? Sounds like very good support to me, and a lot better than many other games and developers.

However it should be noted that it's the developer that cares most about its properties, and they don't have the multitude of titles to look over that the publisher does - EALA has only four released games under its belt (and an expansion pack), so they don't have to look very hard to find things they don't like. Generally, they let the mod community be.

A company like Blizzard however is a different story - they will actively pursue people who even use names and locations in their mods, let alone actual content. A StarCraft mod for a game like Generals for example, will definitely see legal action, even if they created all the content themselves. Blizzard are pretty aggressive in their property protection policies.

So, if we take BFME1 for instance, that game is no longer available. It's gone/obsolete/expired/discontinued or whatever you wanna call it. In other words = no longer buyable! Still, some people are saying that this falls under category 3 anyways. I have no idea if that is so, but logic sorta tells me it can't be. If a PREVIOUS game that is no longer in production, is used for material, I personally fail to see how that could be illegal in any way. Why? Cause EA wouldn't loose sales of BFME1 since it can't be bought any longer anyways? It would instead improve (for some) the current title that is being modded, and since you can't run the mod without the original game, it should help them sell even more games of the modded title? Right? :p

I'd like to use some stuff from BFME1, like other mods have, but when I started by using the ShellMap and Intro Movie from BFME1, I got some hard reactions. I'd also like to use some minor stuff from RotWK, but I wont off course cause logic tells me it collides with Copyright and might affect sales of RotWK. BUT it would still be VERY interesting to see some kind of document from EA stating the obvious and not so obvious concerning these matters... It is ALL based on logic and forum members views and posts, and it would feel a lot better to have a real EA document that tells us the REAL rules of modding EA games

It's still available in places, but it is hard to get hold of. In any account, it's not yet abandonware so that just means don't touch it. EA Games might not lose sales, but they still have all manner of other reasons such as those I briefly skipped over above that they'd uphold. At the end of the day, it's all about asking for permission. If you'd tried to make them aware of what you're up to, they can't do much other than say 'No.' After all, you wouldn't want to be the next Halogen, and be forced to remove the mod from the web and cease distribution entirely on account of a simple content swipe - and they likely wouldn't allow you to just remove the offending material either.

EA's stance:

MACHINE-READABLE FORM WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF
ELECTRONIC ARTS.

And yet, EA is entirely aware of our modding activities, and even supports The3rdAge (Apoc wrote about us a while back in the BfME1 Newsletter!) as well as the rest of the community (as proven by the Mod SDK).

We are playing on a very gray area here. Clearly, no BfME or CNC mod has ever received EALA's disapproval (AFAIK), so we should consider ourselves free to play with their creations.

However, I would personally never go and fiddle with different titles without EA's consent. Should they not express their discontent, then I would consider this as possible. That being said, I'm modding for the pleasure of modding and would therefore attempt to recreate what I'm after myself :) (leading to miserable failure I'm sure).

That's pretty much the jist of it, although there's nothing wrong with distributing 'Third Party Software Components' that are all your work - EALA can't actually touch people for making, distributing or using them, although in terms of BfME, I'm not sure it's possible to actually produce a mod without distributing files based upon the originals.

I've always wondered if...say, RA comes out next year, and suddenly the retired BFME1 community explodes with players. U ever think EA would try to "buy" a mod, or is that even legal? Technically, anything they added doesn't belong to EA. Still, the world of production is a danegrous place, lemme tell ya.

Welcome to what I like to call 'Valve Theory'. Yes, a company can merrily buy a mod for one of their games if the developers are willing to sell it. In fact, Valve has done this many times in the past - Valve themselves have only ever produced Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (and Episode One) - all their other released games are in fact mods, and remakes of mods produced by mod teams that they've bought and sold as a Valve product. Yes, that includes Counter-Strike, Portal and Team Fortress amongst many others.

If they decided to find a illegal flaw in the modding process and try to "flush" to modders, they would spend millions of dollars on laws, protection software in video games, etc that they would rather keep.

It's all about making money. If EA could profit from a lawsuit, or reduce damages to their sales, they would do it.
But. Modders usually don't have much money, unless they run their own company. Also someone would need to collect all the sales data and identify a negative correlation between raw sales numbers and (hard to quantify) game modding numbers.

Generally, a company isn't willing to expend money to squash fan made productions that are otherwise promoting their products, but it can happen, especially when it may be considered that a project is in bad taste. I recall a Half-Life mod a while back that had an incredible amount of racist content (the objective of the game was to persecute 'Niggers') and was offered up with a cease and desist order. Whilst the mod itself was in very bad taste, they hadn't stepped on the toes of sales - but a mod like that would have been terrible for the image of the company had it ever gotten anywhere.

Usually, an official looking email with a cease and desist warning is more than enough to get modders to stop their mods, and they don't cost anything. If those warnings are ignored, then legal action really ensues. It has happened in the past, and a company will spend money just to make sure their warning shots are never ignored.

The moddability for games exists only for the purpose of keeping up the interest in the game, either to stabilize current sales, or to keep buyer interest for further titles in the series.

Big companies are naturally not big on the 'Information is free' front. They try to keep it to themselves and maximize profit. If they DO make stuff accessible, believe me, making money is what is driving this.

User generated content has driven the sales of a fair few games. The Creatures series is one in particular that I can think of, as well as to a lesser extent Unreal Tournament 2004. Such content vastly improves the shelf-life of the product, so it's often worth the developer investing in.

But it's not always the case that money is driving companies to allow third part development. iD Software is a big example of this - they've made three of their engines completely open source for non-profit projects to dive into and explore. Not because there's a financial investment in there, but because of the nature of the company. iD Software was partially founded by John Carmack - who has a vested interest in open source software, and started out into programming as a hacker.

@ GN: Just as a side note... and reply to what you was saying:

- If I was an EA producer, I'd keep my eye on the modding community REALLY hard! Why? Simple - cause we represent the DIE HARD fans of their products. And even though we don't like them enough to not mod them, we still like them enough to buy them AND take the trouble of modding them ;)

I know this is silly and they would never do it. I'm just saying I would consider it ;) I would even consider hireing people like Cahik, Ched, Celeglin, Sûlherokhh, Nertea and similar talents if I was a top EA producer... That's the way to find the righ man for the job :)

We return to iD Software again - did you know that a large part of their staff are in fact people that stood out in their modding communities? iD took them on board when they had vacancies to fill and jobs to be done, and there's no better place to look for people familiar with your tools and workflow than your hobbyist modding community. iD are by no means alone in that policy either, Epic and a number of other companies work the same way.

Whew. That post took a good few hours...

Edited by ambershee, 24 July 2007 - 05:59 AM.

#10 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:54 AM

I'm impressed... Posted Image Well put! As a journalist I must ask - are you one too? :p You surely go about things in the same way as a journalist with hands on experience... or maybe you're even an employee within the gaming industry, or have been? You sure sound like you have some major first hand knowledge about these matters and one can't help to wonder where you got them.

My views are no more than my views, and are not to be read as "I know best", but I guess you understand that was not my intention. Not saying I don't stand by them, I do, I'm just saying they're simply my personal views and thoughts and I didn't take time to go as in depth as you did. And yes, this HAS taken a major turn after your initial popst in the "Intro" thread :p

Forgive me if my answer is short, but it took me quite sime time to read all that, but it was surely interesting...

Edited by Nazgûl, 24 July 2007 - 05:56 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#11 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

Haha, thanks. It was quite a lot, I actually had to deliberately curb myself, because I can rant, froth and rave about things like that for hours.

As it happens, I'm a Games Programmer, although I'm currently job-seeking - I also started out via modding, although it was Creatures 2 that got me into it to, followed by Quake 2. I'm also in the process of writing the 3rd draft of a book aimed at modders (the publishers keep making me revise it..) - Advocacy is a subject that crops up in that a lot too. I've also done a bit of technology consultancy for MMO projects and worked as a designer / scripter in the past :p

But mostly, I just rant, froth and rave about games.

I do really push the legalities of modding quite a lot. It's a very grey area, and I've run into trouble myself on two occasions, the first being an actual suit due to accusations of leaking non-public source code and the second being given a cease and desist order on the basis that a plotline of a project I was working on was too similar to that of a certain recent game involving a psychic commander and an army of clones...

Edited by ambershee, 24 July 2007 - 06:08 AM.

#12 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

MACHINE-READABLE FORM WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN CONSENT OF ELECTRONIC ARTS.

There ya go. I won't need to say more. The best you can do is write a mail to EA, and if they don't give permission (or most likely won't bother to read it), respect their license agreement. No matter how hard the current intro-movie sucks, nothing except permission gives you the right to grab the BfME1 intro movie and put it into your mod.

Take as example that I create my own mod and grab something from SEE. Although you don't lose money/earn less money because of it, you won't like what I did, because you set up rules and I didn't follow them, and I simply grabbed something YOU made, and YOU worked hard for.

So, the best thing you could do without permission from EA is write a tutorial for the ones who got BfME1 to use that intro movie.

Edited by Allathar, 24 July 2007 - 03:52 PM.

It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#13 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

If you take the quoted hardline approach, no modder is allowed to upload publicly any mod, unless it contains only files without content from the game files. Since we are modding and EA has not attacked us, hell, they even say that modding the games is something they support, we actually are in the contradictory grey area.

Sounds like life, really. :huh:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#14 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

I would think lawyer, not journalist when seeing that response! Wow, that was indepth (and rather interesting).

This kind of subject is one where you can tell me I'm wrong and won't get annoyed...legal stuff...I love legal stuff (my dad thinks I'll be a judge someday, hehe)

Now, I don't know how copyright laws differ from country to country....But from what I gather, the copyright if you change something does not apply to you...wait a second, just caught this quote:

cause Copyright applys to eveyone, from a minor photograph on the Internet to a skin in a mod.

You don't get a copyright by making something. You have to apply for it.

EDIT: Oh, my gosh!!! :huh: It just deleted half my post!!!!!!! :p ^I had more than that...but I suppose it sums things up.
Maybe I shouldn't use fast reply...

Edited by clonecommand, 24 July 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#15 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:31 PM

everything you make is your Intellectual Property copyright. Posting things on the internet automatically give you this no matter what country you live in (International law).

Now if you take someone else's IP and add your own things to do (ala Halogen) you own what you added, but you can not sell your product because it takes someone else's property.
Posted Image

#16 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

If you take the quoted hardline approach, no modder is allowed to upload publicly any mod, unless it contains only files without content from the game files. Since we are modding and EA has not attacked us, hell, they even say that modding the games is something they support, we actually are in the contradictory grey area.

Sounds like life, really. :huh:

Depends on the EULA. There's likely a few catch clauses that allow modding to a reasonable extent, so long as that the distributed product contains only modified BfME II material, and doesn't allow the downloader any ability to use said content without owning the original game. I haven't read it myself, so I can't be very specific. Nevertheless, it's tolerated.

Nope. Copyright is intrinsic - it's the most basic level of protection, and you get it automatically for anything you produce. No applications, registrations, or anything like that. The laws are generally the same globally.

Trademarks and other forms of protection however, are different, and vary from country to country.

#17 cahik_

cahik_

Sage engine ruler

• Project Team
  • 1,896 posts
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member and Crazy animator

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

I would even consider hireing people like Cahik, Ched, Celeglin, Sûlherokhh, Nertea and similar talents if I was a top EA producer... That's the way to find the righ man for the job :huh:

gotta agree with you here. seeing that RotW looks more like a mod then real expansion to me they could try to get some modders to work on it. supporting some of those biggers mod would be more than we can expect.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

My thoughts exactly... RotWK does not feel like an expansion, but much rather a mod! :huh:

You're thinking about Patents... :sad: Those you have to apply for...
And please don't try to teach me about Copyright clone... I knew all this when you were a sperm, hehe :p I wrote my first public article in 1997 and one of the first things I learned about (had too) was Copyright. When I write an article for a magazine for instance, they buy the rights to publish the article ONCE, and once only. If they use the article again, without my consent I can basically press charges (if I think it would be needed/gain me something =p). So Copyright I know...
Modding I do not know more than I have learned in 6 months at T3A, and this whole matter is REALLY a fuzzy blurry concept that noone really knows to 100%... most things are interpretations and some are hard core facts. But I also think it differs from developer to developer (I know EA mostly buy titles and distribute them, but I wanna keep it simple :sad2:). I know for instance that Microsoft has crushed some modders in the past, but I doubt EA even cares. But hey, maybe I'll just take my chanses? What can happen? FBI tracking my IP and I end up serving 12 years in maximum security prison for using BFME1 intro movie in BFME2? I doubt it :grin:

We'll see...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#19 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

I was just about to say that (I rationalized/understood it as I was getting ready this morning)...Patents you apply for. As long as you can prove that you made something you get protection, but not hardcore protection. There you go! We were all misunderstanding each other (including myself :) )!

Btw...technically, the FBI shouldn't do anything to you...Its SUPPOSED to be the CIA (which is creepier), but then again, the CIA isn't SUPPOSED to operate on U.S. soil Posted Image :xd:

EDIT: The sniper smiley and the :) are supposed to seperate, not shooting each other :lol:

Edited by clonecommand, 25 July 2007 - 02:37 PM.

#20 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

My secret dream is EA organising a competition for the best BfME mod, with the reward being a license to the engine.

Epic did something like this a while back, titling the competition Make Something Unreal!

EA if you read this, you know what to do to make us modders ultra happy, and get you some of the best things the modding community can bring :)
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users