Photo

Create-a-Hero

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: CaH's future

What should be the future of CaH?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

Well, I thought I'd post a topic for this as it seems that I am constantly running into the limit of upgrades. For those who don't know, there is a limit to the number of upgrades that can be used in the game, and I've overhauled the mod on at least 2 occaisions to trim as much of the fat out of the non-CaH areas of the game to free up 100s of upgrades. Now it seems like I'm running into the wall again and wanted to get everyone's opinion.

1 - Keep it as is - I'll have to go through the whole mod again and try to squeeze out more upgrades where I possibly can in order to add more of what I was planning. (I'll be doing this no matter what, but it might not be enough upgrades.)

2 - Trim it down - Instead of just going through the normal mod, this would mean I would go through the CaH area and trimming out the lesser used items to free upgrades.

3 - Remove it completely - CaH uses 100s of upgrades. I'd probably take the approach of number 2, but this would just mean that I remove the ability to use CaH in matches so you can't select them. A couple of reasons - CaH is tremendously difficult to balance, only 8 factions will ever be able to use CaH, and it's been a very long time since I've played with CaH in MP matches.

Just thought I'd check to see what everyone thinks. If any coder out there wants to go through and figure out how to trim down CaH without losing functionality that would be best. From what I can tell it's bloated and can probably be trimmed considerably, but I just have not had the time to spend on it. (Or at least have wanted to spend the time on it, yet).

Robert J.

Edited by robnkarla, 05 February 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#2 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

I don't mind if it's removed completely. In fact, I'd welcome it, as its imbalanced and not tolkien like at all.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#3 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

I'd prefer it to be left in as a choice to people. Considering their is the option to disable them for a game I think its best to let the host decide. Sometimes create a hero can add a bit more balance for factions who's heroes are not as strong. For instance I had a game Angmar Vs Gondor and without my CaH i'd have lost alot sooner.

I do not fully understand what the problem is however Rob, is it balance thats the issue or is there a max amount of upgrades you can have which means the CaH is hogging a considerable amount of them. May I ask what sort of upgrades your hoping to implement should CaH be removed?

blackdragon.jpg

#4 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

The biggest issue revolves around CaH hogging all of the upgrades. There are things I want to implement with the factions, units, and AI that requires upgrades and I'm just about out of them again.

For instance, let's just say I'm overhauling the elves as an example.

Robert J.

#5 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

I never use them anymore so I wouldn't mind if you got rid of them...
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#6 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

Get rid of it, but possibly add a place to suggest some premade CaH's to use, like 5 or so?

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#7 Thorongil45

Thorongil45
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

haven's used CAH for months now. if it'd help improve the mod, i'd say get rid of it completely. and anybody who wants CAH can play the base game.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK Beta

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

Create-a-hero is bloody awful. They're insanely imbalanced, and don't fit with Tolkien lore. So many times I've lost an MP match because someone was abusing an Elf Archer or Men of the West CaH that I never play matches with them. Not to mention all of their powers (except one, the Word of Animals one, which you could always give to one of the Blue Wizards or something) are already on existing heroes, and there are very clear options on what to take to create the best hero (either way I think you should give that Oil Spill power to something else in the game, it's so much fun). Since it'd be gone you could use some models for new heroes to.

It's a definite "get rid of it" for me, but I know there'd be a whole bunch of people (not here, just like Warcraft players who've come to BFME or something) that will get pissed off if it's taken away, so it's a tough choice.

BTW, what do you mean by upgrades? Like Forged Blades/Heavy Armor/Banner upgrades, or is it all upgrades in general (or something else)?

Posted Image
Thanks to Shikari for the sig
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

keep it as-is I say :)

as for upgrades, I don't know what's the big problem...
You make 10 upgardes for heroes\units\ect... Upgrade_Level1, Upgrade_Level2, ect...
Then you make for things that cost, like in-game upgrades for units...
I didn't think the limit was set to like, 30 more than what is now :lol:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#10 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Remove it completely.
I used CaHs because there were so many Middle-Earth heroes missing in the game. RJ-RotWK added most of those missing heroes. Not to mention that CaHs are imba.

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 05 February 2008 - 09:42 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#11 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  •  crazy coder

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

keep it as-is I say :)

as for upgrades, I don't know what's the big problem...
You make 10 upgardes for heroes\units\ect... Upgrade_Level1, Upgrade_Level2, ect...
Then you make for things that cost, like in-game upgrades for units...
I didn't think the limit was set to like, 30 more than what is now :lol:

Yeah, that's one of the things I've already done......I've gone through nearly all of the experiencelevels.ini file and changed everything to objectlevelupgrade1, 2, ....10.

One of the biggest things that I can't/don't want to change are the equipment upgrades/building upgrades as especially now with the buildings upgrading with experience most of the them I want to keep uniqu. For others I've wanted to leave them so when they are purchased the eva is correct along with the appropriate text.

There are still probably a bunch I can cut, but with essentially 4 factions added and essentially a couple more on the slate they seemed to be used up fairly quickly.

Either way I've got a lot of re-organizing to do to compact them again.

Robert J.

EDIT #2: Screenshots removed to be added soon in a new topic.

Edited by robnkarla, 05 February 2008 - 11:34 PM.

#12 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

i'd much rather have create a hero but without the uber powers. OR, we cap the abilities to level 1 only, so a CaH can only get level 1 powers making them less uber but still useful.

blackdragon.jpg

#13 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

If its a problem, I'd remove CaH completely and perhaps salvage only the most necessary stuff.

Edited by JEV3, 05 February 2008 - 10:19 PM.

He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#14 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:07 PM

Ye i think it should be removed-especially as this mod offers so much no-one will need them. Then you are able to use some of their stuff if you want to create other units etc.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

I guess re-thinking about it, given the amount that is added to this mod a CaH isn't that big a deal. Also, by removing CaH we do also gain abilities that most units just don't use t hat they use. Few heroes (nor non) have the lightning strike, rage, earthquake etc. And it may also allow you to insert these powers to the newer heroes that lack any unique abilities.

blackdragon.jpg

#16 Funbomb

Funbomb
  • Project Team
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:58 AM

I'd say take them away completely because CaH are too imba because they could take out a ring hero if they have the right skills and they could be glitched too. Also if you play more real competitive matches they don't use CaH becuase how imba they are.
Posted Image <---2nd Sig I Made
Posted Image <---4th
Posted Image

#17 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

I'd say take it away. Never play with them anyway, because of the imbalance. If people want to use CaH they just have to use the base-game.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

Keep it as is! And if you want revome it from game, how you revome place in menu for this?

#19 Argolis

Argolis

Big Crazy Modder.

• Project Team
  • 337 posts
  • Projects:The Wars of Arda
  •  The modding jack-of-all-trades

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

Strip the whole thing out. For the amount of effort needed to make CaH into what anyone ever wanted it to be, given the limitations, its simply not worth it (ill likely do the same myself when i start pushing the upgrade cap).
I do not kill with my hand.
He who kills with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.
-The Gunslingers Catechism
Posted Image
NEEDED: Modeller/skinner and 2D artist for Wars of Arda. PM me. Please.

#20 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:02 AM

I don't play any RJ matches with the CAH. Once all the new heros are settled with skillsets and bug-free, there will hardly be any reason to use CAH. Besides, if you want to play as a CAH, you can always play the unmodded game. Take it out.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users