Photo

Maybe have hardpoints but... different.

33 replies to this topic

#1 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:20 AM

Maybe ships should be able to target certain hardpoints, like engines, shield generators, and guns, just not have them represented by a giant target that's difficult to select whenever it's too close to another hardpoint (like it was in the original game.) Maybe a drop down menu with options like engine, gun, Shield generator, etc? thoughts?

Edited by Clubby, 30 March 2008 - 01:22 AM.

#2 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

Maybe ships should be able to target certain hardpoints, like engines, shield generators, and guns, just not have them represented by a giant target that's difficult to select whenever it's too close to another hardpoint (like it was in the original game.) Maybe a drop down menu with options like engine, gun, Shield generator, etc? thoughts?

Again, it's impossible. We cannot specific certain HP groups, only certain HPs. It's up to game engine, so as long as somebody find a solution/workaround for it, we have to stick with what we have. It's not about ideas now, only how to implement them...

Personally, I'd prefer to be able to target specific part of ship (bow/stern etc.) then group of weapons...

#3 StormReavan

StormReavan
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

What about grouping hard points? Have the tractor beam, engines, shields, gravity wells, etc on their own, but all those extra lasers and stuff, take a cluster and make them one hard point, and take another cluster and make that another hard point. Take the hard points down until you got a mouse friendly amount. Then see if there is a script that would allow the point to destroy all those weapons bound to that hardpoint cluster. But then make it so that something like a tug or repair station can revive them (but that might not work too well.)

#4 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

This has been discussed extensively before. I may sound like Anakin, but please read at least a few old topics first. Phoenix left the hardpoints out because of the number of weapons, and the fact that some, like sheild generators, are too poweful if targetable. It isn't going to happen, unless they can be made destroyable, but not targetable. And to be honest, I agree with him.

#5 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

I think engines should be targettable because now you can't stop a ship from going into hyperspace unless you have a gravity well ship. And it is possible is destroy a reactor. Or each exast port gets its own hardpoint and the ship gets slower for each one that is destroyed.
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#6 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

I think engines should be targettable because now you can't stop a ship from going into hyperspace unless you have a gravity well ship. And it is possible is destroy a reactor. Or each exast port gets its own hardpoint and the ship gets slower for each one that is destroyed.

Two things:

1. You are wrong when you say that its impossible to stop them from going to hyperspace. One hit from an ion cannon, and that's it.
2. I'm in complete disagreement with making the destruction of engines disable hyperspace jump. If I remember well, what you destroy are the ion engines, not the hyperdrive. The hyperdrive is a completely different part of the ship.

#7 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:32 AM

You mean the planetary ion cannon, right? Still, I agree on the second count.

#8 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:42 AM

I believe that both of them (normal and planetary) make a ship unable to go to hyperspace. I read it here in the forum.

#9 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

I know about planetary, but I wasn't sure about normal. Still, doesn't that make it so that most ships under fire can't leave.

#10 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

Then ok make it that only the ion engines are targetable and slow them down.
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#11 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

What about hangars?

#12 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Then ok make it that only the ion engines are targetable and slow them down.

I'm not sure about this. I don't know if it's possible, and even if it is, it's dubiously canon.

What about hangars?

Same thing, but more so. It shouldn't really be possible to get rid of a hole by shooting at it, and it could seriously weaken ships like the Venator.

#13 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:14 PM

It is possible. Take out the hanger shield/airlock thing on front of the hanger and all the air is vacummed out of it.
And the ion engines. If you pound one with numerous turbolasers it is eventuly going to fail and shut off.

#14 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

I'm not saying it isn't theoretically possible, but do we really want it? In the various material, there is no indecation that they really target specific systems routinely.

#15 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:44 AM

Yes but they did target systems. The rebellion used it to capture ships and not destroy them.

#16 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

It's more not about targetting, but about applying damage during combat. It's really terrible as it is now - Even barely moving ship is able to deliver as devastating firepower as fresh unit. Moreover, It's logical to shot into the side of the ship you're on, so damaging hardpoints on this side is reasonable as well.

I'd completely ignore other Hardpoints, but damaged unit shouldn't be able to deliver such firepower as fresh one. Human player would be stupid not to exploit it, especially since the game doesn't handle damage and after battle you get undamaged unit again. That's especially the case with large ships, which are almost indestructible this way: there's always enought time to pull them back.

BTW, I'm looking for a way to mod Ion Cannons better. As they are now (vanilla) they only take out shields. How to make them immobilise ships engines and other systems?

#17 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

I don't know if there's a way to better a planetary ion cannon, but they also immobilize the targeted ship, and I think it also messes with the weapons as well.

#18 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:32 PM

Maybe have different systems shut off after so much damage? Randomized or based on where the majority of the fire is coming from are two solutions.

#19 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Phoenix is looking in to the problem of a heavily damaged ship not loosing systems. The current plan is to make hardpoints destroyable, but not targetable. The part about destroying parts of a ship is strange. I thought they used ion cannons, which really should be improved. I agree with that, at least.

#20 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

OH, I wasn't talking about that. Just standard turbolaser/missile/torpedo fire.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users