Photo

Questions on C&C3/KW modding and mapping.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CommanderJC

CommanderJC
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

I have some questions on modding C&C3 and maybe KW (if KW mod sdk is to be released soon).

1. Is it possible for any hovering vehicle to float on water by coding? Even the Hover MLRS in two C&C3 mods cannot float over water.

2. Is there a way to open GOB files after they were extracted from a BinOpener? Can GOB files be converted to xml? It's already possible to extract something from a BIG file and inside the BIG file are 'bin', 'manifest', 'relo' and 'imp' files.

3. What is the main program to convert 'dds' files into 'w3x' or 'tga' file?

4. How can you convert a model file (such as a 3ds file) into a w3x and/or tga file? I have a Mammoth MK III model file that is released somewhere in a cnc3 mod forum. The model is incomplete because the user did not put any texturing and skinning on the model.

5. Is it possible to extract KW models? How would I know which one that may be a unit, structure, weapon model, portrait icon, locomotor, object creation list, etc.?

Questions 6 - 10 are a bit harder to answer because very few in the CNC3 modding/mapping community has ever done this before.

6. Mapping: Is it possible to make a script and string message in KW Worldbuilder that when you load a mission map, the load screen should have a mission description just like the KW mission loading screen description? However, for the background selection, that is in Question 7.

7. Mapping: Is there a script that can change any loading screen background picture in the KW Worldbuilder? I do know there are three in KW: one with the Zone Raider in front (but was only used in Global Campaign Mode and that would have been for the GDI), one for Nod Campaign and one for the loading a save game or custom mission map.

8. Mapping: How is it possible to put/add custom music in KW Worldbuilder without the Mod SDK? What is the name of the program that can convert mp3 or wav files into a cdata file? It also needs a valid name in that cdata file in order for that valid name to be used in a script in WB.

9. Mapping: Any way I can get the Alien Control Node model to show up in KW Worldbuilder? There is none in KW, but can the model be transferred into KW? Is a Mod SDK required to do this?

10. The hardest question of all: How do make a reinforcement pad to work properly by scripting the simple way, not in a complex form? It never works if you just put that building there; it'll just do nothing. EALA did this in two GDI and two Nod missions in C&C3, plus a user in his skirmish map contest winner Winds of Desolation (which has the scripts but are copyrighted and cannot be copied without the permission of the creator).

11. There are a lot of missing models and materials in the KW WB that doesn't show up in any map. Is there any way to make them show up? I thought if EALA fixed it once more, those models should show up. One example is the Purifer.

12. Last but not least: Is there still a bug in KW WB when you make a script that destroying all enemy units and structures will trigger a victorious and end game screen? It does not work ingame due to a hidden enemy soldier in the bottom left corner of any KW mission map. Has anyone encounter this before?

You can answer as many as possible. I was hoping if a moderator or administrator can answer this quicker.

Edited by CommanderJC, 20 October 2008 - 03:40 PM.

#2 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

Just some quick answers:

I have some questions on modding C&C3 and maybe KW (if KW mod sdk is to be released soon).

There will be no KW SDK :blush:

1. Is it possible for any hovering vehicle to float on water by coding? Even the Hover MLRS in two C&C3 mods cannot float over water.

Haven't tried this myself, but I'd recommend looking at the locomotor settings, especially the corresponding XML schema file(s).

dds and tga = texture files, w3x = 3d model (although it's basically just an XML text file). You can use any image manipulation program with the right plugins (for example Photoshop with a dds plugin) to convert tga to dds or vice versa. The Mod SDK comes with plugins for 3ds Max 7/8/9 to export models in w3x format.

4. How can you convert a model file (such as a 3ds file) into a w3x and/or tga file? I have a Mammoth MK III model file that is released somewhere in a cnc3 mod forum. The model is incomplete because the user did not put any texturing and skinning on the model.

Read above. The SDK documentation has a lot of information about exporting models and getting them ingame.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#3 Mighty BOB!

Mighty BOB!

Deranged Weasel

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:15 AM

Take a look at the GDI Hovercraft from the single player campaign (MOD SDK\CnC3Xml\GDI\Units_SinglePlayerCampaign\GDIHovercraft.xml). It uses the HovercraftLocomotor (locomotors are in MOD SDK\CnC3Xml\GlobalData\Locomotor.xml). You can use that as a basis to make your own locomotors to replace the ones currently used by hover vehicles. It has the attributes "Surfaces="GROUND WATER DEEP_WATER"" which I believe is what lets it work on both ground and water.

2. Is there a way to open GOB files after they were extracted from a BinOpener? Can GOB files be converted to xml? It's already possible to extract something from a BIG file and inside the BIG file are 'bin', 'manifest', 'relo' and 'imp' files.

No you can't open GOB files. The only things you can extract from the game are some textures, some sounds, and some model files (files without animations). Check out jonwil's extra tools.

Read the SDK documentation.

5. Is it possible to extract KW models? How would I know which one that may be a unit, structure, weapon model, portrait icon, locomotor, object creation list, etc.?

I don't know if it is possible to extract textures/models/sounds from KW. It has similar code to TW. The only way to know for sure is to find out yourself. (OSBIGEditor, Binopener, jonwil's tools.) In any case, you can't extract xml code from TW or KW.

8. Mapping: How is it possible to put/add custom music in KW Worldbuilder without the Mod SDK? What is the name of the program that can convert mp3 or wav files into a cdata file? It also needs a valid name in that cdata file in order for that valid name to be used in a script in WB.

You can't (without an SDK for KW). The only music you can choose from is what is already in KW.

9. Mapping: Any way I can get the Alien Control Node model to show up in KW Worldbuilder? There is none in KW, but can the model be transferred into KW? Is a Mod SDK required to do this?

11. There are a lot of missing models and materials in the KW WB that doesn't show up in any map. Is there any way to make them show up? I thought if EALA fixed it once more, those models should show up. One example is the Purifer.

Are you using the KW Worldbuilder that came on the game disc or did you download the updated version where EA fixed some bugs?

12. Last but not least: Is there still a bug in KW WB when you make a script that destroying all enemy units and structures will trigger a victorious and end game screen? It does not work ingame due to a hidden enemy soldier in the bottom left corner of any KW mission map. Has anyone encounter this before?

Huh?
WOL nick: migtybob

We are living in a post-common sense society.

#4 Golan

Golan
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  •  Off-Duty

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

As the other have said, w3x is a 3D format so you can´t convert dds to w3x. TGA and DDS however can both be converted into the other format. If you´re using Photoshop, the NVidia DDS Plugin will allow you to save and open dds files.
If you´re using another image manipulation software or just need a simple converted, check out DXTBmp.

The only feasible way to create W3X files is using 3DS Max (Versions 7-9 all work) and exporting the model with the W3X Plugin. The SDK comes with both the plugins and a short description on how to use them.
Textures must be saved independently from the model, either as TGA or DDS. The SDK documentation tells you where you have to place them and how you can implement them.

Note that the Mammoth MKIII is part of the first Art Pack, check it out if you need its model with textures.

You can use 3DRipper to export meshes out of the game and worldbuilder (i´d suggest using the later). Note that these will be exported without proper shaders (the textures can be exported too, though) and without skeleton/animations, so you will need some experience and time to make the models ready again.

6. Mapping: Is it possible to make a script and string message in KW Worldbuilder that when you load a mission map, the load screen should have a mission description just like the KW mission loading screen description? However, for the background selection, that is in Question 7.

The load screen is not part of the map but of the KW UI and can thus not be modified by the map.

7. Mapping: Is there a script that can change any loading screen background picture in the KW Worldbuilder? I do know there are three in KW: one with the Zone Raider in front (but was only used in Global Campaign Mode and that would have been for the GDI), one for Nod Campaign and one for the loading a save game or custom mission map.

See above.

The only program that can properly convert music is the TW SDK. You might be able to feed a KW map with a cdata created with the TW SDK, but AFAIK no one has tried this before.

In order to add a music file to a cdata with the SDK, you need to use code like this:

<AudioFileMP3Passthrough
		id="GRB_Course"
		File="..\audio\music\Course.mp3"
	/>

<MP3MusicTrack
		id="GRB_Course"
		Volume="55.0" 
		ReverbEffectLevel = "0"
		DryLevel = "100" 
		SubmixSlider = "MUSIC"
		Control = "ALLOW_KILL_MID_FILE"
		Priority = "CRITICAL" >
		<Filename>GRB_Course</Filename>
	</MP3MusicTrack>
The first one adds an MP3 (specified in File=) and names it like its ID. The second one makes this a valid ingame music - the SDK documentation should have some additional examples.

Yes, a KW Mod SDK would be required to do this.

10. The hardest question of all: How do make a reinforcement pad to work properly by scripting the simple way, not in a complex form? It never works if you just put that building there; it'll just do nothing. EALA did this in two GDI and two Nod missions in C&C3, plus a user in his skirmish map contest winner Winds of Desolation (which has the scripts but are copyrighted and cannot be copied without the permission of the creator).

I´d suggest taking a look at the original map and their scripts. You can use JinWil´s tools to extract the official maps and make them available for the WB.

This is due to the WB only displaying the first "draw" of an object (the same happens with the Nod operations center). It is not in itself a bug and caused by the game itself, I doubt that EA would ever fix this.

Just some quick answers:

There will be no KW SDK :thumbsupsmiley:

The last official statement is still that "there might be one"... some day... :p

Posted Image

#5 CommanderJC

CommanderJC
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the answers, users.

> Mammoth MKIII is part of the first Art Pack.

I don't remember the link where I got the Mammoth MK III model. What do you mean it is part of the first Art Pack and where is that info coming from?

#6 Golan

Golan
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  •  Off-Duty

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

EA released a couple of vehicle and most infantry models in two "Art Packs", the Mammoth MKIII being in the first Art Pack. You can grab them on commandandconquer.com -> community -> mods, then scroll down (on the right) to "GET THE MOD SDK NOW" and download the SAMPLE ART ASSETS (for Art Pack 1). Note that EA is going to change the page soon, so you might have to search for it a bit.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users