#1 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

Allright, time for another important status update regarding the SEE mod...
I will post this first, before I answer any other topics. I know I've been away for a while. There have been some unfortionate changes in life recently...

1) I started a "new" job. Or rather, went back to my "old" job that I had between 1995 and 2001. I did this for a number of reasons that are not important enough to get into. Anyway, this job is EATING me ALIVE in terms of time and energy. I get up at 5.30 am to be fully dressed in uniform and fully equipped at work at 7 am. I work all day and afternoon until 7 pm. I get back at home at around 8 pm if I'm lucky with traffic. By then I need to walk the dog (a Rottweiler) and feed my cats, fix dinner and get some "quality time" by myself before bedtime around 11 pm.

2) The days that I'm off (we go by schedule), I'm either too exhausted to even go here, let alone to work on the mod. OR I have a lot to do with my own company - the home theater website at BigScreen.se - doing equipment reviews and writing articles and stuff.

3) As if this wasn't enough, my stationary PC here at home is singing on it's final tunes, so to speak. My C partition have around 30 MB free atm, and I have no idea how that came to be. I tried to clean up and throw away files and delete programs that I don't need, but the darn thing just keeps schrinking. I really need to reinstall the whole thing, and THAT is a LOT of work considering all them small things that are related to the mod and the actual modding.

4) As a positive twist, I bought a brand new state of the art Sony VAIO Laptop PC (AW11Z) to bring to work. The idea was to be able to surf and do some modding there, when things are calm and quiet as they often are out there in the bush (secret data facility hidden in the woods inside a mountain). However, the reception (the guard house is naturally outside the mountain) is barely working and I keep falling out all the time. Secondly, I haven't installed and transfered all the files and programs I need yet.

5) Even if I have this new laptop I am not sure how far my strenght and time will go in terms of being able to carry on modding myself. THIS is the prime reason that I've been "stressing" about the progress from time to time. A certain member gave me critique about rushing progress, but this is the logic behind it. If progress is too slow, other things have a tendency to affect progress in a negative way as time goes by. You should always do as much as possible when you CAN, to avoid thr risc of yet another dead project.

SO - what to DO?
The BEST scenario right now, would be to go back to where we was when Sûlherokhh was wokring as the Head Coder for SEE. I was the manager and director of the mod and crew and all their efforts, and also the administrator of the forums. Sort of the spider in the net if you will, while Sûl, being unemployed at the time, had both TIME, SKILLS and MOTIVATION to do all the coding that we agreed on. When he left suddenly, I had my first MAJOR road bump. Eventually I managed to get back into coding, and I got a LOT done for SEE and the new EvilMen faction. But then two things happened; my WORK + the fact that working on the darn FOTRESS killed my motivation. It was/is sooo booring and sooo complicated that you can not even begin to imagine half of it if you're not a coder. I simply LOST it all and found myself staring at the files over and over...

The ONLY way to move on, atm, is to find a new HEAD CODER! This person has to:

1 - Be skilled. Preferably more skilled than me!
2 - motivated, to work on SEE!
3 - aknowledge that this mod is still my mod and the collaborated effort of the SEE Team and all Contributors. This won't be his/her mod, but rather the result of a collaborated effort. I still call the shots though, meaning I can approve or decline things to be done and so on and so forth!
4 - have enough time to be able to work on SEE to make a difference and to keep progress alive!
5 - have a good track record. I wont hire another n00b misstake with empty promises!

In return, this Coder will have a very PROMINENT role on this production, and quite litterally be my closest in command, which means that it will be quite possible to affect the outcome by keeping a close dialogue with me, leaving direct suggestions and ideas, and whatnot =)

That's it. I'm ready to get this show back on the road, when/if we/I find this new Head Coder. Someone that is willing to work close to me, to bring SEE to the finish line!!! :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 14 November 2008 - 09:53 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Glad to see you're back! Two things:

- How much still needs to be finished? Do we just have to add units and powers to the new faction or are there any (other) coding dilemmas?

- Finding a head coder is going to be very hard, especially if we're looking for someone with the same qualifications as Sul. Maybe a team of two or more 'average' coders could work... Or maybe one of the oldies wants to help (like Lauri or anyone on T3A who isn't busy with his own mod).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

I know... but IF SEE would be cancelled (until further notice) we could always blame Sûl... :p
But seriously, as much as I love the guy... it's really his "fault". I'm sorry to say, but it is... :(

I never had THESE high expectations for SEE, but when he came along, he promised to stay if I let him take SEE to new heights. And he did, as we all know. The problem is that doing so, I ended up COMPLETELY dependant on him. And after I left for 3 months due to my own personal tradegy, he lost interest at the same time as HE ran into some personal problems that even I don't know of. I feel very sorry for him, whatever happened to him, and I do REALLY understand that he lost interest as life took him into another path. BUT; he should NEVER have promsed so much, which rendered this mod pretty much dependant on him, or someone as skilled as him...

Robnkarla, DLotS are two prominent modders that MIGHT be able to help, but most likely not any time soon, if ever... I know this is very dim news, and as you all might understand, EXTRA dim to me, as this is the biggest personal non-payed project I've EVER been involved in, in my entire 36 yo life... But I must face the fact, that I simply don't have the strenght to carry on, as things are now. I can manage the forums, I can talk to the team, I can coordinate work and plan ahead. But I can NOT code (to any greater extent) until I get more time and strenght on my hands. I am NOT saying that I give up, but I'm still taking a breether after all that explosive work on the EvilMen faction this summer.

There's a LOT more to do. I know you don't understand that, or what is is, but there are SO many small things that needs fixing... like Bug fixes for one. Not just adding the fortress and the remaining units :( And when all things are done, I still need to do a lot of balancing as we all know...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#4 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

I do understand... I've never coded myself (well, except a 'bigger battalion' mod) but I know how much work you guys have to put in it. I'm not underestimating the workload. But no one is going to blame you when you take a break for some months, until you get some vacation :p.

And maybe this is a too personal question, but why two jobs? You sound like you're exhausting yourself...

Edited by Mordor Slayer, 14 November 2008 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

G'day nazgul

I'm curious to know if anybody has tried to get in contact with the coders that made this game. If you've heard of the EA spouse story then the very coders that made this game in the first place might jump at the chance to make EA look bad. And let's face it this mod is so awsome it does make EA look like they were behind the eight ball.
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

A man who used to be here

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

Need some help? I can code. ;)

No, not at Sul's level of experience, but I can do stuff. I'm an average coder, so I can't do major, ground-breaking new stuff. But sounds like to me you need a lot of little stuff done, stuff I can do. the basic, average stuff.

Motivation? Got plenty of it! I love to mod, and being able to work on SEE would, like, an honor. SEE is my utmost fav BFME II mod. :p

Credit? I'm a Mod Leader myself, and I distinctly understand that. I give credit where its due, and I don't give it where it isn't due. SEE is without a doubt, a team effort.
Again, being a Mod Leader means I know that the leader's word is final. You have the last say on anything. Your word is law for this mod. :cool2:

I'm not a n00b. Hopefully, I am a well known person around here, and if anyone has anything against, speak up now! Proof of my abilities? just go to my "Narnia in BFME" thread , go to around page 11 and beyond, and you can see some screenies of work I have already done. :grin:

but, hey, if that isn't what you need, I totally understand. just to let you know, I'm here!

Edited by Jeth Calark, 15 November 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#7 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hey... thanks for the offer. What we could do is have a test run. Like, let you download the latest WiP and give you a misson to fix something, and if it works, we go on from there... :p

I do understand... I've never coded myself (well, except a 'bigger battalion' mod) but I know how much work you guys have to put in it. I'm not underestimating the workload. But no one is going to blame you when you take a break for some months, until you get some vacation :grin:.

And maybe this is a too personal question, but why two jobs? You sound like you're exhausting yourself...

Good, thanks MS =)
And yeah, it might sound weird, but when I joined back into the security business, my own company was not doing that good. And just when I started to go my first shifts, my own company suddenly did a lot better. But, I can't simply quit again, after they took my back. And then risc having to go back AGAIN if my business is dropping once more... It's a delicate situation. But with a little more breath time, I think I can once more get back into things. It's just that it got a little hectic here al of a sudden, and I really did burn out a little this summer with EvilMen ;)

G'day nazgul

I'm curious to know if anybody has tried to get in contact with the coders that made this game. If you've heard of the EA spouse story then the very coders that made this game in the first place might jump at the chance to make EA look bad. And let's face it this mod is so awsome it does make EA look like they were behind the eight ball.

Contacting EA or any part of EA or former EA is like trying to walk on the moon. It's a beautiful and thrilling thought, but quite impossible... :cool2:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#8 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

A test run, eh? ;) I thought of that myself, but didn't mention it. I don't exactly have a lot of experience in bug-fixing, but I'll see what I can do. :p I'm signed on, for the time being.
the WiP for SEE? I must be movin' up in life! :sad2:

.....burn out a little this summer with EvilMen :cool2:

As I said before, if there is any unit or horde coding left to be done, I can do it! :sad2:

Um, I think I need a password...... :sad2:

btw, ttandchotmail, I think some of the guys who worked for EA on BFME II are already at it (making EA look bad). :grin: They've got their own mod on GameReplays.org called Battletest 2: Director's Cut. Supposedly, some guy on the team called Maddox used to work on the game for EA, wanted to do another patch after 1.06, but EA said, "We're through."

#9 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

I wanna talk to that guy.... :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#10 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

Here he is: http://www.gamerepla...php?showuser=31

I've read some of his posts, and apparently it's true.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

Yep, that's the guy.

Edited by Jeth Calark, 15 November 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#12 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

G'day Jeth

I've read some of maddox's posts but I thought he said he was just a tester ( might be wrong :p ) I actually just looked at the credits for the game now and did a search on the names I found there. I located a few at other forums. Shouldn't be too hard to write up a message saying something like "want a chance to make EA look bad after the way they treated you while making bfme2?"

Martin Hoffesommer
Jeff Chow
Andy McDonald

part of the engineering team. I'm assuming they are coders. Easily another 30 names we could be looking up for possible coders.

Edited by ttandchotmail, 16 November 2008 - 06:23 AM.

No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:52 AM

MaDDoX's real name is Breno Silva; he was a balance tester. Which fits, because his mod is a lot about balance and such. He's in the credits for both BFME II and ROTWK; in fact, the ROTWK credits gives his nickname with his real name. ;)

interesting about those other dudes. Naz might want to check into that. :p

Edited by Jeth Calark, 16 November 2008 - 02:27 AM.

#14 Annullus The Grey

Annullus The Grey

Historian... Master of Ages

• Hosted
  • 269 posts
  • Projects:Twilight of the Republic

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:49 AM

you need a coder i can help out but im sure theres better candidates than lil old me
If your reading this i probably am drunk in a ditch somewhere near you

the magical drunken teleporter

SELF PROCLAIMED FORUM DRUNK!!

#15 TheWickedOne

TheWickedOne

The Unforgivable One

• Project Team
  • 422 posts
  • Projects:View "About Me" Page
  •  Game Coder

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:13 AM

I can try to take a crack at coding for you, that is if you let me. I do INI coding, Basic AI coding and basic CAH coding. I understand that this is YOUR MOD, i know how it is to work on something, trying to protect your work at all times, i understand that man.

Edited by TheWickedOne, 26 November 2008 - 12:37 AM.

#16 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

Thanks guys, I'll get right back on this topic when I've uploaded the WiP tonight. I'll give you all a test run and we'll see from there :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#17 Jeth Calark

Jeth Calark

• Project Team
  • 1,823 posts
  •  Sithspit!

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

oh, yey! He's still alive! :p

Don't expect much work this weekend from me. It's Thanksgiving. :grin:

#18 TheWickedOne

TheWickedOne

The Unforgivable One

• Project Team
  • 422 posts
  • Projects:View "About Me" Page
  •  Game Coder

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

OK, but just like Jeth, don't expect anything from me on Thanksgiving day. Any other day except that one, i won't be online at all.

#19 Annullus The Grey

Annullus The Grey

Historian... Master of Ages

• Hosted
  • 269 posts
  • Projects:Twilight of the Republic

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

the coding i know these days is faction adding stuff like that oh i am relativelt able at war of the ring mode coding though i kinda dont like to refer to ini manipulation as coding or scripting because it is more of altering a stateful database
If your reading this i probably am drunk in a ditch somewhere near you

the magical drunken teleporter

SELF PROCLAIMED FORUM DRUNK!!

#20 morsematten

morsematten
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

i don't know codding,
but i think that contacting someone that used to work on BFME2 wil be a good idea.
i'll try to track the coders in the game down if i have the time and maybe you guys could work from there?

anyway all the best to you guys.
I'm the nut cracker, and i'll crack your nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users