Is VK coming back?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bakla

bakla
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:20 AM

Is VK coming back? Is he still around? It's been too long since June and he has not updated NPATCH ever since. It would be better if he continues working on NPATCH as many modders are still waiting for some promised features like total buildable units limit. Say at least max out the limit from 100 (It's now 200 I think) to 500? I know there are haters and fanboys of Npatch but still Npatch is an incredible tool.
Posted Image

#2 gordon-creAtive

gordon-creAtive
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

I don't believe e's coming back. There hasn't been activity since June and even if he was busy, he tried to keep the forums active. Looks like we have to say goodbye to NPatch.
If you are still interested in EXE hacking, wait for RockPatch 2 which has at least similar features. If you're familiar with C++you can add them by yourself.

#3 FallenDwarf

FallenDwarf

title available

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

well, long time ago I PM VK and asked if NPatch was dead.

I must ask you something VK, why do you always ignore when I ask if NPatch is dead? but when I ask other question you anwser them. Are you working in secret? I wont tell anyone :D

No, I don't ignore you...only not very often internet connection....:(

I can't now say if NP dead or not. Posbbile I will release the last version of it...

Now I am working on work and I am still student.
So I have less free time :(

About future projects...
yes, I always like C&C games prior Generals. And also a lot of other Westwood games...(The Legend Of Kyrandia for example)
I don't like new games from EA, because they (IMHO) broke C&C universe...

Well if I continue developing of NPatch it will destroyed by self after some time.
Why? Because the basic stuffs are really bad - they are created by PD, when he have small experience. Yes, of course, I have some errors too.

Now NP isn't stable. I won't negate it. I still have reports about save errors for example.
Another problem with NPatch developing that I do all the work.
I am not talking about coding - for example nobody want to help me with Documentation, with
testing, etc. People want to have a free stable product without their help.
Not sure, that it's possible - I have limited resources.
So now NPatch is buggy and I have no way to fix the bugs - it's need a lot of testing.

About YR engine - it's old and have really big problems. (quality of engine now isn't enought)
Also it's based on old TD/RA engine and it cause a lot of problems.
(This is true for big modifications - for example for high color images and etc)
small modifications still can be done.

So you can ask me: Did I waster my time with NPatch, with so bad result at the end?
No. Yes, I produce some rather stable versions for modders.
Also I got a lot of experience - now I know in details how real RTS game are working!

So Now I can think about my own game universe.
I will create a fansite, we will have a devteam, which will think about future of our world, without any EA.
I will write a code in C/C++ - believe me, coding in C/C++ faster than hacking exe in 100 times! seriously.

This is only ideas now...

I think you understand me....

Best regards,
-VK

Edited by FallenDwarf, 22 December 2008 - 02:13 PM.

Posted Image

#4 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:54 AM

I hope he will at least fix known bugs.

And yeah C/C++ is far easier to work with than with Assembler or even Assembler code from exe (from deassemblers). I can imagine how hard should be making or fixing of this. Yes, I have touched *asm this term and since 1st (and without inclusion last) exam was from this before we even had 1st practical lesson, I ph3i13d and then I had not enough points to get inclusion (and get some of 50 points in 2nd, final exam),
so I will have to repeat this subject next year.
It's pretty hard when you have 1 hour to write fully working code where you print 2 matrixes on screen, count them, create and use modulo operation on them. Registers, segments, offsets,...

If you know you will go study IT, learn Assemblers, C and C++ as soon as you can. If I knew it earlier I would do it, it's harder to learn so many things in so little time (which means practically no free time during school year when you are on such University, not like those possible future lawyers, but rather like on medicine, yet not so much, somewhere inbetween). One my friend has much more experience than me. Why? Once he told me when he was 13 years old, he was on summer camp where they were learning Turbo Pascal (2 weeks), later he started learn from scripts, tutorials, technical texts, etc. I wanted to learn programming in same age, but this ended for a while with no explanation of algoritm and no internet, later school was helping, but not so much, so I aimed on modding. When info was available, time wasn't.

ONTOPIC: I don't think VK will continue, maybe he will fix some holes, but nothing much more.
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#5 bakla

bakla
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

At least that's a good relief to know he's still thinking about NP. I hope he can eliminate the total buildable units limit to at least 500 in his final release. That feature is a necessity for most mods. ;)

#6 FallenDwarf

FallenDwarf

title available

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

At least that's a good relief to know he's still thinking about NP. I hope he can eliminate the total buildable units limit to at least 500 in his final release. That feature is a necessity for most mods. ;)

ever heard of NPAE? The build limit is infinitive at that version.

The cool thing about VK is when you nag him about a do-able feature, he will add it, like removing unit limit :p

Edited by FallenDwarf, 23 December 2008 - 11:42 AM.

Posted Image

#7 bakla

bakla
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Really? In NPAE? I didn't know it was fixed already in NPAE 0011. No more 100 unit limits for vehicletypes and infantrytypes? But if it's true, then good lord it's great to know.

#8 Guest_Sorry_*

Guest_Sorry_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

Is VK coming back?

#9 Caspa

Caspa

title available

• Members
  • 938 posts
  •  Shine On, Lurk Moar

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

My magic 8 ball says "try again later"

We don't know but we still wish him luck in his endeavours and pray more and more every day that he comes up with better names for his works.
Hostile is a cunt.

Thought I'd have that here to save time.

#10 Guest_New_*

Guest_New_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:03 AM

VK is dead :thumbsupsmiley:

#11 wthigon

wthigon

Sup

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Projects:wthr 1.0
  •  Weird Guy

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

Is VK coming back? Is he still around? It's been too long since June and he has not updated NPATCH ever since. It would be better if he continues working on NPATCH as many modders are still waiting for some promised features like total buildable units limit. Say at least max out the limit from 100 (It's now 200 I think) to 500? I know there are haters and fanboys of Npatch but still Npatch is an incredible tool.

Will you be adding 500 units to the fucking game? didnt think so...shut the fuck up
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 genobreaker

genobreaker

Infantry General

• Hosted
  • 1,223 posts
  • Projects:Yuri's Revenge: Zero Hour
  •  Revorian Loyalist - 10th

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

in my mods case... it might...

hehehe...
Become the Ultimate General - Mod Demo is Available!
Posted Image
Prepare your weapons technology against the worlds most powerful generals.
FREEDOM STUDIOS: http://www.freedomstudios.net

#13 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:55 PM

Well, when I count, I would have to need at least 300 units... it would be pretty sad if 100 of them will have to be build from undeploying building...
I thought there is limit around 500, you are confusing me... :thumbsupsmiley:
Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#14 FallenDwarf

FallenDwarf

title available

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Well, when I count, I would have to need at least 300 units... it would be pretty sad if 100 of them will have to be build from undeploying building...
I thought there is limit around 500, you are confusing me... :thumbsupsmiley:

the limit isint 500, its no limit at all. But only for vehicletypes. VK said to me that it was pointless to make for infantry and aircrafts to. Ares have removed the limit for all unit types. anyone know if buildings/animation/sounds have some kind of limit?
Posted Image

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

NO, they haven't, but if that's true about infantry, I will have to send every civilian above 100... >_>

partyzanPaulZy (lazy to log in)

#16 l33tphenom

l33tphenom
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

If there are no limits for InfantryTypes and others, with VehicleTypes what then is the limit? Is it 200 or more in NPAE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users