#1 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Projects:Finding My Way
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

At the moment we are discussing Athens and Sparta as initial factions. This would be for BFME2.

Edited by mike_, 05 November 2010 - 06:39 PM.
Title Clarification

Greetings, community.

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

I think it would be important to focus on the differing military tactics as well. These cultures had very unique fighting styles and weapons of war, much broader then the generic Infantry, Archer, Cavalry, catapult...

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:56 AM

Yes, it's a good opportunity to look at such things... I'm no expert in that area, though.

Also, having more information about the content of it, would BFME1 or 2 be the best idea? I'm not sure naval combat really needs a place with Athens and Sparta, and I'm not sure what else BFME2 really offers. I prefer BFME1 in general.

On the other hand BFME2 has more anims I guess.
Greetings, community.

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:04 AM

One thing I really loved about AoE was the massive number of technologies that unlocked the units real power. Like the blacksmith, university... So many things newer RTS' lack.

Though the resource system being so limited is a major downside. Though we could still mimick it.

Basically do what EA has already done, and have different resource buildings benefit different things. Organic resources reduce price of soldiers...

Also, perhaps we make lumber a huge industry. But renovate it. I hated how BFME2's builders were. They should be like the villagers. We could make villagers.

Combine the peasants ability to repair structures, the builders dozer construct, and even build lumbermills with no laborers(villagers) and make it so you need to supply your own from the base. Just like was the case in AoE.

Then the only noticeable difference between the villagers would be that they can only gather 1 resource.

-------

If we're renovating the gameplay, definately use BFME2. The naval is a huge and very important bonus. We can't leave out the Triremes. And I do like the build anywhere system, if it's done right.

Aside from that, the only flaw is the units clip over each other...

Edited by Kwen, 02 November 2010 - 01:07 AM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

I'm not sure naval combat really needs a place with Athens and Sparta, and I'm not sure what else BFME2 really offers. I prefer BFME1 in general.

Naval combat was of utmost importance during those wars.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:13 AM

Most of their cities were built based on naval ports and trade. Thats how they traveled for the most part.

#7 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Right... BFME2 is probably still best.

And, we can use the spell points almost as a secondary resource to unlock more of those key technologies like in AoE. Do you think they should be integrated with the buildings? I like that idea.
Greetings, community.

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

So you're saying bypass the spellbook and purchase the sciences from buildings?

#9 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:18 AM

Yes. You could also have as many as you wanted this way.
Greetings, community.

#10 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  • Projects:My Link Mod
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:29 AM

I think the Spellbook could be used to acquire Global techs. Ones that are required before researching many of the smaller techs from the buildings.

I like that idea. :p

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:30 AM

That's a good idea, prerequisites. They would be fueled by the same resource (power points) as the building sciences, but these would be like activators.

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

I *might* be willing to do some texture work for this, just so you know. Or at least offer advice regarding textures.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#13 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

Oh, interesting. This would certainly add some different and good elements.
Greetings, community.

#14 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

I *might* be willing to do some texture work for this, just so you know. Or at least offer advice regarding textures.

That would be sweet, if it manages to get off the ground.

Advice is just as valuable as any other mean of contribution. I know little of the historical aspect, so that helps me.

#15 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:36 AM

Indeed, any help is welcome. Advice is always good.
Greetings, community.

#16 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

I don't like your idea of disabling the spellbook by scrip in maps, because there's a LOT of maps, and I'm no mapper so I won't be doing all brand new ones any time soon :p so vanilla maps would be there until we'd have more

We always use the spellbook for a "refrence", that could require upgrades, that buildings grant when they're buildt. An armory would unlock some armour\weapon related spellbook "powers", while a barracks would give us the ability to unlock Eagle Warriors for example (okay, to much AoE2 but you get the idea ;) ). So it could turn out to be a place to keep all track of upgrades, but that's fine by me.

As Kwen said in the other topic, I'm with you man. I'd contribute alot for it. And I also want BFME2, because I've only ever modded 1, even though I'd prefer to stay in the art department as much as possible, which is similar in both games. Naval combat is indeed something we can improve ALOT in the mod, because atm, it doesn't serve a purpose really in BFME2 vanilla. And of course, bigger hordes looks better with greeks! (big hordes don't fit in bfme1.. really)

And despite it being AoEII that seems to be our primary influence, it's about ancient greece. Since that is the case, let's keep it that way. No adding vikings later on (yes Lauri, I'm looking at me).
Of course, if we ever complete it (that being Athens and Sparta done), we could expand to include the Persian invaders and other nearby relevant factions.. but I recon the two will be more than enough, if we make the goal primarily on gameplay :)

edit: crap this topic is going somewhere fast... :cool2: I like the prerequisites idea, even though it's basically the opposite of mine (where buildings are the ones..)
Hell, we could remove the Upgrade building logic, and make it part of the spellbook, so that to access better armour, you'll need to upgrade the armoury through the spellbook.

@Matias: Yeah, your advice is very welcome, and if it all goes smooth I'm sure you'll want to atleast do a couple of skins :good:

Edited by Lauri, 02 November 2010 - 01:42 AM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#17 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:41 AM

if we're using AoE as a primary reference, why not look at AoE1 which fits our timeline much better.. And is still very rich with technologies and gameplay. Just AoE2 is prettier.

#18 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:44 AM

AoE2 in general gameplay and what-not, of course 1 could be better with the timeline, but I never liked it (I remember something about no gates, and one unit at a time... :p )

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#19 Gfire

Gfire

Nuju

• Project Team
  • 2,173 posts
  •  The Perfectionist

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:46 AM

Yeah AoE1 wasn't a lot of fun after playing 2, which was my first RTS.
Greetings, community.

#20 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:47 AM

The expansion fixed that. You could que up to 20. And yeah.. There were no gates. But we know about gates :p So it's not a flaw to us. My point is its a much better reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users