• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Mild spoiler:

Spoiler

Anyone else watch this? I've been at the edge of my seat throughout this season and the first two were also great. I love the historical anchoring of characters (don't read up on them though if you want to avoid all potential spoilers :p). I love (most of) the accents, the speaking of Old Norse, Old English, and in season 3, the Frankish language. 

The thorough and humanizing exploration of Viking culture was very refreshing to watch after decades of terrible portrayals and character assassinations (damn you Wagner and your horned helmets). Each major character feels developed and three-dimensional. 

If you haven't tried this show, I recommend it.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

So nobody watches this? 

Ugh.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

Saw a few episodes of the first season, but the timelines made me groan. Another point is that most viking enactors around here find the details a bit too rough around the edges, shortcuts with tools and cultural clothing styles and whatnot.

Also, no filming in Norway for a viking show? Feh. 

Maybe it got better after a while? It seemed a bit iffy while I was watching  it.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

Oh I'm sure it's not particularly accurate in every respect, but then, it doesn't pretend to be. From what I've gathered, though, there is in fact a fairly high degree of accuracy in terms of costuming and props. They do have historians constantly on site, I believe. I'm sure plenty of stuff is embellished (Show Uppsala does not seem to be as flat as real life Uppsala :p), but I really don't care. I love the show for its characters, both in writing as in acting, their development within the storyline, their dialogue, etc. To me, it's sort of like the way I view the LotR films; they leave out or change a lot of details that I as a book nerd find important, but they do manage to capture the right atmosphere and themes. Vikings does what I feel like a show like Game of Thrones tries to do: it contains characters that actually feel rounded, with interesting motivations and twists. The character Floki, to me, is easily one of the most interesting TV characters I've ever seen. Ragnar, too.

There's things that I feel they do so well, like representing the Viking oral traditions (giggity) during night-time tale-telling, the idea that the Vikings gods are alive and constantly walking among mortals (there's a wonderfully mysterious representation of Odin in season 3), the humanization of Viking culture (they're far from the savage, pagan raiders they are traditionally presented as), the portrayal of contact between pagan and Christian, the way they influence each other, similarities, differences, etc.

Timelines don't always add up (King Ecbert was not crowned king until two years after he shows up as king in the show, for one), but changes made serve an interesting narrative.

I love the show. Go watch it.

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Season 4 has started! 20 episodes instead of 10 this time around, with a potential time jump in the middle. 

First episode seems to have retained the superb quality of the last season. Lots of things happen and are developed in this meager 45 minutes, without it feeling rushed. I've never seen a show that's paced this well.

#6 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

First half of season 4 was a bit messy. Second half is now underway - first two episodes were incredible.

Ragnar's just got the greatest arc I've ever witnessed on TV. From a curious farmer to celebrated raider and explorer, to local earl, to King of the Danes, to legendary figure, and then back down to desperate, loathsome tramp-king. Never seen such a pained character so well written and portrayed. I am in awe. And now his sons have matured - and they're well-cast and immediately interesting, which I was afraid they'd fail to do. Iver the Boneless, especially - very well written. Scary, unpredictable, emotional, but also very easy to relate to as a viewer.

The whole show is like an antithesis to what a show like Walking Dead has become: things happen in Vikings, not just across a season, but across each episode. I'm amazed at the pacing. Lots of things happen in each episode, but it feels completely natural and unrushed. Characters grow older, go places, they develop - and keep developing - rather than most Walking Dead characters, who seem to reach a certain breaking point and then just reset rather than being permanently changed characters afterwards, ready to develop into something further. Ragnar is the anti-Rick, seriously.

Season 5 confirmed, bring it on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users