W3D and Modeling Problems

w3d modeling renx

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Projects:moding, moding, moding, moding, moding...

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hi everyone!
I'm new in the forum, is a pleasure be here. This is my first time trying to mod BFME2 & RotWK but I found some problems.
I started modifying w3d models trying to do some changes but when I open them with final big and Renx see something similar like the images I attach.
These images are from another post, I have the same problem. It seems the problem is because the the skeleton (skl) and the model (skn) archives are in separate folders but I don't know how I must to do do to find the correspondent skeleton of every model. I hope somebody can help me because my knowledge about this subject are very poor.

Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks to all!

Attached Thumbnails

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:01 PM

Hello Charlie,
I hope this helps.
Looking at the code of a unit will tell you what animations it uses.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 04 May 2015 - 11:05 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Hey Matt!
Thanks for your help. I did you told me and it works perfectly :) thanks Now I can see the 3d models on Renx and w3d Viewer.
Now my problem is I can't see my changes of the 3d Model in the game ¿? I'm not sure but I think I follow all the steps after the changes with Renx, (image A) Is this right??
I'm trying to create a new Dunlendings warriors because I don't like the actually caveman costume. The point is I saw in the Data archives, textures and w3D models there are archives of other wildmen characters (image B) but I don't know if it's possible to activate.

Any idea?

Thanks and greetings!

Attached Thumbnails

• A.jpg
  • B.jpg

#4 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

Did you make an asset.dat? :)

(should be a tutorial on that on the3rdage.net ;) )

Ridder Geel

#5 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

Hi Ridder Geel, nice to met you.
I tryed to do what the3rdage.net say about asset.data but i'm not understand to much and I'm a little confuse about that. It works for "Rise of the Witch King" too? in the tutorial only speak about Battle for Middle Earth I and II.
I change the corresponding files (Image A) of the wildmen units but It does't work for me. Only the texture appears during the game (Image B). And the Idea I want is this other (image C).
Any Idea about what can I do??

If in this kind of archive (image A) I change the skeletons of the unit and I assign others, then I get new animations for the units??

Thanks and greetings!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Image A.jpg
  • Image B.jpg
  • Image C.jpg

Edited by Charlie Waffles, 09 May 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#6 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:33 AM

Yes the tutorial on asset.dat generation should work for rotwk as well :p

Are you using the -mod command? I hope you are, it makes working with an asset.dat much easier :)

So you made a new model and you are unable to see it ingame?

Is it using the same name as an existing model? if so, see if giving it a new name helps :p

I've had odd bugs like this one with models that were named the same...

Ridder Geel

#7 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hi Ridder Geel!

- About asset.dat: I must to extract all the textures and 3d models to create the asset data or only the textures and 3d models are of my interest?
I was trying to change the name of the model but when I do this, during the game my units appears invisibles :S
Another doubt is; I tried all this changes in the data.big document but I found ini.big document and I saw is very similar (or identical than data.big). What is the right document to do all this changes??
I don't know what is the mod command, sorry!
You must apologies me, I'm new doing this kind of changes in a video game and still there are too many things that I don't know.
Thanks again!

#8 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

@Charlie, if you change the name of the model, make sure you have an asset.dat for them and make the name change in the object's W3D behavior, find in ini.big your object's code and replace the model's name with your new name.

2qm3dd5.jpg

#9 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

Thanks SilverBane! I'll try again :)

#10 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:31 PM

If I only wants to replace a 3d model for other created by me and giving the same name of the original... this must be works,right? If I only do this, I wil need to create an asset.dat document??

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hi Charlie! It's nice to see someone new who wants to learn about the world of BFME modding.

The first thing you should do really, is get yourself familiarized with the -mod command setup. With BFME2 and RotWK the -mod command is nice and simple. A very basic rundown of the setup is, you create a new folder somewhere on your PC (desktop is a simple place to put it) And in this folder you will put all your mod files. This includes folders such as Art (which contains textures, compiledtextures, and w3d) and data (which has the ini folder and all the files you're likely used to seeing). Also in this main folder you made you will put your custom created asset.dat that will allow custom artwork to be shown in game.

In case nobody has explained it to you, the asset.dat is a compilation of the artwork files into a readable data format that the game uses to detect and render artwork. So any time you make anything custom, even if it has the same name as an existing piece of artwork, it has to be compiled into an asset.dat for the game to display it. 

There are a couple article I suggest you read about the -mod command, make sure you read each and understand them. I suggest you try and create a "blank mod" first, with maybe one simple but noticeable change (like starting money) just to see if it is working properly. Also I suggest you read and understand the first article before moving onto the second, or else you might get confused.

Article number 1: Setting up your mod, with the -mod command

Article number 2: -mod Command advice for beginners

Another article you should look at is this one:

Creating Your Asset.dat 

Try it first, and see if it works for you. From past experience I've found other methods to be more simple to execute, but more complicated to setup so this is a good place to start. 

Be sure to let us know how things go for you!

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#12 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

Hi Kwen, nice to meet you.

Yes, i'm very interested in the mod world concerning the BFME, it's awesome we can modify the game; textures, 3D models, commands... from our PC. 

I'm new doing mod and I'm not familiarized with terms or a specific way to do the things. I know how to do the easier; modify and create new textures but I want to do more things. I saw the amazing work from other people and I want to be able to create the same things..

Thanks for your answer, patient and time. I know teach the new people is sometimes boring. Thanks to you and thanks to MattTheLegoman, Ridder Geel and SilverBane who tried to help me. Thanks to all guys.

I really hope tell you soon good news about my progress :)

Best wishes!

Edited by Charlie Waffles, 15 May 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#13 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hi everyone again!

When I try to run Sy's Asset Builder appears the next menssage :S

Component "COMDLG32.OCX" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Any idea? Help please!!

#14 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

I wrote a new tutorial yesterday that might help you out.

http://www.the3rdage.net/item-807#ref

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#15 Charlie Waffles

Charlie Waffles
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

Thanks Kwen! This Tutorial is fantastic. I hope now I can do my changes.

I will tell you soon!

Regards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users