• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

Introducing S.E.E. - Director's Cut: Azog

"Sha nargiz ob hakhtil... Nargiz khobdi... Rani Khozdil!" I don't want excuses; I want the head of the Dwarf King. "Khozd-shrakhun gud sha kilyash-zag" The Dwarf-scum will show themselves soon enough. Send out word, there is a price on their heads.

The Lieutenant of The Necromancer and commander of the forces of hell, Azog, the Defiler, rules the Misty Mountain faction of The Special Extended Edition, Director’s Cut. Azog’s sculpt was created by Nazgûl, and has been seen before in the concept art of The Battle for Middle-earth III (view an earlier news article about BfME III). Powers are yet to be announced by The S.E.E. Team for Azog; heroes in game will support the armies of the player, and will not be a one-man army like in the original game.

50giBkU.jpg

Azog appears in The Special Extended Edition, Director's Cut as seen in The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey. He rides with the Hunter Orcs of Gundabad with his mount, The Matriarch, a white warg; or he can fight on foot. At over two metres tall (seven feet), his presence on the battlefield as the commander of the Misty Mountains, and vassal of the Necromancer will bring low all the enemies of Sauron. The ruination of Durin’s line is up to him, and the elimination of Thorin Oakenshield.

W3Drender_Azog.jpg

see-dc-divider.2.png

Azog, The Defiler

Azog, The Pale Orc and general of the northern armies of Sauron ruled from Gundabad. Sent to Moria by The Necromancer, with a large force he occupied this ancient Dwarven capital, which started the War of the Dwarves and Orcs culminating in the Battle of Azanulbizar and the beheading of King Thrór. Azog desired to fulfil the wish of his master and end the line of Durin. Unseen in the movie, Azog also kills Nain, the father of Dain Ironfoot*. However, later in the battle Thorin severed Azog’s left forearm and leaves him to die of wounds. His loyal orcs dragged him back into Moria where he survived.

Azog speaks in a northern dialect of Orcish when ordering his Hunter Orcs and Black Speech when speaking with The Necromancer in Dol Guldur.

Azog has possibly two sons, Bolg and an unnamed white Orc, seen in charge of Dol Guldur while the main forces led by Azog were marching north to Erebor. Galadriel annihilated his body before the Orc could harvest Gandalf’s ring of power, during the White Council’s Attack on Dol Guldur.

Because of The Defiler’s purpose in destroying the line of Durin, Azog is a constant threat to Thorin in the Quest to Reclaim Erebor. Before the events of the movie, he captures Thrain in Dunland and imprisons the dwarf in Dol Guldur, to harvest the last of the Dwarven Rings of Power. He then sets a price on Thorin’s head and camps his army at the ruins of Amon Sul, driving out the Arnor Rangers and bringing down bands of trolls and Orcs from the Ettenmoors and into the Lone Lands. When he finds Thorin, travelling the Lone Lands, he sends out the Hunter Orcs. Azog reveals himself riding on the White Warg, after the Company of Thorin Oakenshield had escaped Goblin Town. However, the eagles snatch victory from his remaining hand and prosthetic metal claw.

His chance came during the Battle of the Five Armies when Thorin, Fili, Kili and Dwalin orchestrated an attack on Ravenhill, his position to observe and direct the battle below. Azog sets a trap and murders Fili, while Bolg murders Kili just below the tower, before charging at Thorin, over a frozen lake. Thorin considers him drowned when he falls into the icy water; however, Azog breaks out and mortally wounds a surprised Thorin who lunges back and kills Azog.

*In the original novel it was Dain Ironfoot, (son of Thror, brother of Thrain and the cousin of Thorin) who killed Azog in the Battle for Azanulbizar, Bolg ruled Moria and Gundabad for another 150 years until the Battle of the Five Armies where he is killed by Beorn after the deaths of Thorin, Fili and Kili.

Hu0R3ij.jpg

see-dc-divider.2.png

The Matriarch

As Azog commands the orcs of the north, The Matriarch controls her underlings with an iron grip. Both Azog and The Matriarch share similar features, tribal scars and the rare albinism, white skin or fur, and pink eyes.

Gundabad wargs are faster and larger than the hyena-like southern breeds used in Saruman's armies of Isengard.

fiOivT6.jpg

see-dc-divider.2.png

I hope that you have enjoyed part 3 of the heroes of the Misty Mountains for The Special Extended Edition, Director's Cut. If you have any questions or suggestions, please comment. You can find all our work at Revora Forums. Have a good day.

MattTheLegoman

SEE Marketing & Mapper

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

The best looking model of Azog ever :D One question: is he also going to get his armor from the Battle of the Five Armies?

#3 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

No plans for the BotFA armor for this release, no. Maybe later when going back for polishing. Same goes for Bolg. 

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

I still think is face looks a bit silly. Like he is surprised, a kind of 'WTF was that?!' moment. Personally I prefer this model. But I think with a few (very) minor changes in the face and texture specifically focused on the scars, this one here would be right there with my favorite.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#5 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

A small change of expression and a better texture sounds good.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#6 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Another question :D : Doesn't his mace look a bit different in the movies (more round-like)? Here is it in the movies: http://www.unitedcut...dres/UC3015.jpg

#7 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

Azog and his face expression is modeled after this Weta statue... I think it is the poly reduction from 8 million polys to about 4k that made him loose a lot of the model's quality. The difference to the high poly model is (IMO) quite big and I see no real problem with the high poly model, but I agree that the low poly is not as good as it could be :whatoa: I see no problem with the mace though.

1073935_10151479340927303_120061581_o.jp

a98hk5R.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#8 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

I don't have any problems with the mace at all :) I just pointed out it looked a bit different in the movies; but this doesn't mean I don't like it as it is now, I love your model of Azog :D

#9 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

I think it's mostly the difference in color. My color is taken from screen shots and not that bright lit render.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#10 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

I meant the shape was a tiny bit different. But it doesn't matter that much, it already looks very close to the mace in the movies.

#11 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

It is slightly different, Naz. If you look at the top and bottom of your metal parts, and compare it to the film's mace, you'll see that yours isn't as sharp as the films. Your edges looks softer.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#12 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

^^That's what I meant actually.

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Ok, we'll probably rebind Azog at some point, so I'll see what I can do when that happens 

Edited by Nazgûl, 21 May 2015 - 05:27 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#14 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:36 AM

Here's a closeup of the mace btw. Still think it looks soft?  :rolleyes:

It's slightly darker though, in tone, and it doesn't have the dents, cuts and scratches. But that would increase the poly count a lot, from the 2-300 polys it has.

Azog_Mace_LP2.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#15 ThorinOakenshield2

ThorinOakenshield2
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:44 AM

The mace actually looks a bit different when looked from close :p Now that I saw it from close, it isn't so soft looking.

#16 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

It also depends on the effects applied. When the model is imported to max for BFME optimization I recommend taking specific care on the vertex welding and the mesh smooth features. If you weld everything and then apply a blanket full smooth it will make many sharp edges appear soft because the smooth tries to do just that, smooth everything. Use the auto-smooth version and play with the frequency until you find the right balance of smoothing to fit the body, but keep all the sharp edges. If you don't know what I mean, send me a pm and I'll try to explain it better.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#17 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

Looks better, yeah, but I'm having trouble explaining the difference it seems. If you look at your blades, they looks like the angle is 120 degrees, while the movie version is about 160. Yours is cramped, in a way.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#18 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the tips guys =) I'll see what I can do, since Azog is gonna be re-rigged anyways

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users