Photo

I can't figure out how to change the attack speed for Marauder Swordsmen.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

I'm new to modding my favorite RTS of all time, and ran into a little problem... I know how to change the easy stuff like, unit health, cost, and build time. But when I change the values for DelayBetweenShots, PreAttackDelay, and FiringDuration nothing happens.

I tried to read around as much as I could on the topic before asking, but only found a mention of changing their weapon or something like that in the weapon.ini file. I can't find anything about them (Marauder Swordsmen, Black Orcs, or the Dark Neumorians) in the weapon.ini file, and don't know what I would change in the gamedata.ini afterwards.

So basically, I'm very confused, and I would be very appreciative if someone could explain this to me, or simple make a picture of what values to change for a unit's attack speed. 

#2 ThrandyBanned

ThrandyBanned

Sith Lord Of Mirkwood

• Banned
  • 321 posts
  • Projects:The Battlefront Mod For Warband
  •  Skinner,Modeler,Coder

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:06 PM

I think you need to change the animation Speed.And preattack delay so everything matches :p

#3 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Where are you changing the values? And how do you have your mod set up? If you are trying to edit the lines in gamedata.ini then that is the reason your changes aren't taking effect. Have you tried replacing the macro names (such as FARAMIR_FIRING_DURATION) to simply a number? 

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#4 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:24 PM

These are the only 3 values I've tried to change before as far as attack speed goes. No matter what numbers I put they never attack at a different speed. So I just put it back to the original values.

aCUsvev.png

"Have you tried replacing the macro names (such as FARAMIR_FIRING_DURATION) to simply a number? " 

I feel stupid saying this, but I don't really know what you mean.  

#5 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

I think you need to change the animation Speed.And preattack delay so everything matches :p

Could you tell me where to change the animation speed?

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:39 AM

Go into weapon.ini and find the weapon that corresponds to that Macro. Instead of MORDOR_BLACKORC_PREATTACKDELAY put in a number, say 500. Then save it and see if it has any effect. Changing the values in gamedata.ini doesn't work if you're compiling the mod into a .big file.

I recommend that you use This

This is a nice ini setup because it cleans out all the units from the huge ini files that EA got lazy with (evilfactionsunits.ini for example) and it also converts the Macros to be usable again. Instead of editing the Macros in gamedata.ini they are now located in default/water.ini

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:01 AM

Go into weapon.ini and find the weapon that corresponds to that Macro. Instead of MORDOR_BLACKORC_PREATTACKDELAY put in a number, say 500. Then save it and see if it has any effect. Changing the values in gamedata.ini doesn't work if you're compiling the mod into a .big file.

I recommend that you use This

This is a nice ini setup because it cleans out all the units from the huge ini files that EA got lazy with (evilfactionsunits.ini for example) and it also converts the Macros to be usable again. Instead of editing the Macros in gamedata.ini they are now located in default/water.ini

Well, I thank you for you help, but I see I'm a little too ignorant when it comes to editing this stuff. I can't find "MORDOR_BLACKORC_PREATTACKDELAY" in the weapon.ini. and even if I could, I'm not sure if you mean, to erase the "MORDOR_BLACKORC_PREATTACKDELAY" and just put a new value there, or not. 

So yeah, I'll just keep messing around and see what I can do. Thanks again.  :smilehuh: 

Oh, and the thing you linked me says "This is for BFME 1 only". 

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:07 AM

Oh woops, my mistake I wasn't paying attention that you are modding for BFME2/RotWK.

If you cannot find MORDOR_BLACKORC_PREATTACKDELAY then that means this particular Macro isn't even used. What you need to do then is go into the unit ini and find out what weapon it is using, then go back to weapon.ini and search for the weapon specifically, then you change the values.

And yes, I did mean to completely erase the Macro and put a number value there instead.

#9 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:12 AM

Oh woops, my mistake I wasn't paying attention that you are modding for BFME2/RotWK.

If you cannot find MORDOR_BLACKORC_PREATTACKDELAY then that means this particular Macro isn't even used. What you need to do then is go into the unit ini and find out what weapon it is using, then go back to weapon.ini and search for the weapon specifically, then you change the values.

And yes, I did mean to completely erase the Macro and put a number value there instead.

K, I'll give it try. Thanks again!

#10 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:13 AM

Oh, and just one more thing I'm confused on, you said "Changing the values in gamedata.ini doesn't work if you're compiling the mod into a .big file." 

That seems true for a lot of things, but why is it when I change unit cost, health, and build speed, do those things take effect?

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

Well, actually I believe what is happening is because you said you couldn't find that Macro in weapon.ini, means it was never used. That's why your changes weren't taking effect. Are you modifying the ini.big directly? If you're doing that and not setting up a mod for yourself then the changes will take effect in gamedata.

#12 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

Well, actually I believe what is happening is because you said you couldn't find that Macro in weapon.ini, means it was never used. That's why your changes weren't taking effect. Are you modifying the ini.big directly? If you're doing that and not setting up a mod for yourself then the changes will take effect in gamedata.

Oh,ok. Yeah, I'm changing them in the ini.big file directly. That's what has me really confused, cause if I edit values for a unit (in the pic I posted) they'll take effect (health,cost, etc), but stuff like the 3 that have to do with attack delay, firing time, and so on don't take effect.

#13 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

Because when I had you search weapon.ini you couldn't find them, right? That means the macros aren't even used and you have to find the weapon manually and edit the values.

#14 BattleTroll

BattleTroll
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:56 AM

Because when I had you search weapon.ini you couldn't find them, right? That means the macros aren't even used and you have to find the weapon manually and edit the values.

Yup, found the weapon they used in the unit.ini then changed it in weapons.ini. Still no effect. At least I know what to look for now. I appreciate it. 

#15 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

You can change the DELAYBETWEENSHOTS and FIRINGDURATION too, I was just trying to point you to the right spot to edit these values.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users