custom worldbuilder terrain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:16 PM

Hello everyone, I've been looking for a detailed answer concerning custom terrain textures in BFME for some time, but I could never find a good explanation or guide how to do that. Following some instructions just resulted in pink empty textures appearing in WB but nothing more. 

I would be extremely glad if anyone help me to deal with this obstacle.  :smile2ap:

Edited by TheDarkOne, 29 November 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

G'day, in order to troubleshoot, I will need to know what you've done so far.

From what you've told us, that the terrain appears pink, shows me that the terrain.ini has been modified, however, Worldbuilder cannot find the image. It will need to be in the following directory.
art/terrains
And saved as a Targa image the game can read.

Have a good day.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

I know about the whole terrain.ini thing. The problem is that I don't know what to do with my .tga textures. Once again I ask for a detailed answer. Forgive me for being a bit rude but every time I ask for help people keep answering like "Create that mysterious .big file". Could anybody tell me what exactly should I do with my textures from the very beginning? 

Edited by TheDarkOne, 01 December 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#4 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

If you're looking for a detailed answer, we might as well need to have a detailed description in order to troubleshoot. You say pink textures appear, but what have you done so far that makes these pink textures appear? Did you try to overwrite existing textures? Did you create entirely new textures, with a new name? etc. etc. etc. Be detailed with your description and it's more likely that people will provide a detailed answer to the problem you have.

Personally I've never added custom terrain textures so I'm not sure if I can help, but letting us know those "some instructions" you mention in the first post will get us one step further. ;)

26285.png

#5 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:15 AM

When you change terrain.ini inside ini.big you have something like base for your future texture. The only thing left is to make a path to already done textures. I don't know what to do next. I tried to overwrite the ones in terrain.big and made countless attempts to make it all work, but I surely make something wrong. Some say I shall create a new asset file, some claim that I do not have to do this And whatever. Anyway, as far as I know, the process is devided into two parts. Adding textures via unknown method and changing the code to make them visible. I know only how yo change the code. I hope, that was a detailed description of my problem :)

#6 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

If you create a new texture entry in terrain.ini (=a completely new texture) you will need an asset.dat, as you're adding a texture to the game that the game does not know yet. If you simply want to replace an existing terrain texture, give your newly created texture the same name like the one you're replacing - in that case an asset.dat will not be necessary. That's how it works for regular textures.

26285.png

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

My further suggestion for you is an attempt to replace a terrain texture already in the game. It might be that the image you added the first time is the wrong format.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne
  • New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Not really. My textures are more than fine. They were converted multiple times and can be perfectly viewed even in FinalBig. Okay, I'll try overwritting the ones already existing. 

UPDATE:

Remade textures and everything worked. Followed your suggestions, tried many times then and it finally worked. Thank everyone!

Edited by TheDarkOne, 24 January 2016 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users