Photo

Skirmish AI 2.0 Beta 1 **NOW LIVE** Post Comments In Thread!

87 replies to this topic

#81 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Projects:Loladins of Legend.
  •  Inanely inane inanities!

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

That 4v4 is when they were broken on Rhean Jungle. When I refer to early game, it's when they are "working".

edit

Flail Company, my SM insane "friend", will show you what I mean. Of course, the Necron's biggest cock-up was the whole worker debicle, but this shows just how easily their warrior-only initial build can completely backfire. Initially they seem to be winning, but after that first dread pops out, it's game over. Period.

For convenience this is named Necron Example. I doubt it would have ended much different even if the necrons got their core on time. The warrior upgrade was desperately needed, as were early immortals or a couple turrets. Take your pick as to how they could have killed that dread when it came out.ee

edit -

I'm trying a different matchup and this time the necrons went for an early core. Will it save them against the Orks? We shall see.

edit - Okay, they got an early turret AND an early warrior upgrade. Why won't the other do the same? This game is certainly going to be in the hands of the necrons because of this build.

edit - Well, they did a lot better, but flash gitz finished it in the orks' favour. They had another mass of excess power after they hit tier2. I'm gonna try arkhan's new build after it goes up and see how that match goes again.

Attached Files

Edited by Malkor, 14 November 2006 - 11:42 PM.

#82 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:47 PM

Here's the replay for that game vs orks. This is a very interesting match because the Necrons actually have a build that I mentioned, and they used it. It worked quite well, except the orks are still much better and were on a non-stop aggressive front. The necrons could not keep up, not due to resource restrictions, they just simply couldn't keep up. When flash gitz showed up, it was over.

I think you guys have made insane orks very close to perfection.

edit -

I'm wondering, is it possible to have the mass warrior build get a turret should their warriors get killed too fast? Or, perhaps, start teching a little faster? What control exactly do you have in this department?

Attached Files

Edited by Malkor, 14 November 2006 - 11:54 PM.

#83 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

Malkor regarding Necrons: Well, I don't think it's the resources. How would that even effect them? They don't need requisition.

--

You guys need to study the Necrons a bit more. There is an explanation!

The Necrons need to capture resource points or strategic points in order to increase their caps. They will lock up or cap-out low and do nothing if they don't capture resource points!!

In fact, Necrons seem to do best in the plain vanilla AI if they create a second base, aka build a second Monolith around another set or strategic points and capture those points as well, then you can see the 24/20 caps that the Necrons are usually capable of.

If Necrons don't move out and capture strategic points or if there are no stategic points, they get stuck with 10/6 caps or 8/6 caps or some such, and then they just turtle, languish, and die. Those Necron scarabs can't fight, so they aren't all that agressive about contesting and fighting for the resource points that they need to cap up. They hide or retreat instead inside their base, turtle up, and build power generators under the protection of their soldiers and Monolith, languish, and eventually die.

There's a disjoint there. The Necron soldiers can't uncap and recap a strategic point, and the Necron scarabs can't fight. Combine that together, and sometime the Necrons just don't get the coordination necessary to capture enough resource point or strategic points so they can cap. It can really work against the Necrons! They need to capture and place listening posts to cap up, and sometimes they go into an allied base and capture half of their ally's listening posts just so they can cap up without having to fight for or defend the listening posts or strategic points. Necron's AI can't seem to coordinate soldiers protecting scarabs so that the scarabs can contest and take listening posts. The scarabs always retreat, and once an enemy listening post is place, and then you need the Wraith to take down the listening post and uncap it.

It usually requires the full coordination of three different Necron units to uncap and take an enemy listening post and recap it as a Necron post -- scarabs to recap, Wraith to uncap, and some soldiers there to keep the scarabs and the Wraith alive. That's an awful lot of coordination for the AI to get right. A human can coordinate it all and do a full concentrated capture of an enemy's listening post, but I'm pretty much sure that Relic never programmed any of that necessary coordination into the Necron AI, meaning that Necrons are totally opportunistic about capturing strategic points, and always retreat at the earliest sign of trouble -- all meaning that the Necrons can't fully cap and often go dead in the process if they don't get enough listening posts or strategic points just simply given to them at the beginning of the game.

I'm not sure that Arkhan or Thud are going to be able to program or do the three-part coordination necessary for the Necrons to take enemy listening posts. They need the Wraith and soldier to destroy the listening post, the Wraith to uncap while the scarabs hang back, and then the scarabs to come in, capture the post, and build while the Necron soldiers and wraith defend. And a lot of this his happening on the front line, where the Necron AI usually refuses to send scarabs, because the scarabs are designed to only retreat when they come under fire. A Catch-22 if ever there was one!

--

To Malkor:

Well, if you are playing on the campaign, the same rules will apply. The Necrons will need to capture strategic points to cap up. But, if you are on a campaign and can reenforce, or build generators before starting the game, that will indeed guarantee a victory if you rush and take down the enemy base, but it won't guarantee you that the scarabs will capture strategic points so that the Necrons can fully cap up to 20/20 or 24/20. To get to 20/20 or 24/20, the Necrons need to capture and hold a certain number of strategic points and build listening posts on them. Study those Necrons a bit, especially if they are turtling or languishing or stop building. I think you'll find I'm right and that they have hit their caps. I have fully capped out as the Necrons many times and have had to go out and get more strategic points so that I can build more. And, there is something in there that unlocks the Necron's full potential that only comes after the Necrons have built a Second Monolith, but I haven't quite been able to put my finger on it. The Necrons need to build a Second Monolith, but if the scarabs don't have a safe open place to build it, then it doesn't happen, and again the Necrons can seem to bog down somehow.

It's not going to be easy for Arkhan to fix this, and it's going to require some of his usual thought, and cunning, and trickery! I do believe. Of course, sometimes Arkhan just reaches out and easily does the impossible, and other times, like with Stuck Ubers, the problem can hang on for months or years before a 'workaround' is found and adopted, or a solution is never found. That's the way it goes!

Edited by ThetaOrion, 15 November 2006 - 12:44 AM.

#84 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:32 AM

It isn't the caps, though. Caps don't effect reinforcing.

#85 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

Okay, I found the Necron braindead problem!

But before I explain the bug...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!! I HATE IT!!! STUPID FU*KING NECRON RESSOURCE SYSTEM!!! :cool:

Ah, I needed that. I feel much better now! :cool:

All AI's have a minimum requirement of requisition of about 100 - 200 to be allowed to reinforce and build troops. Since Necrons don't have requisition at all, we've set this to a value <= 0. Normally this works without problems, BUT in bigger maps there's a special setting which overrides this value with 250. Therefore the poor Necrons were not allowed to build any troops except the force builds or even reinforce their troops since they were never able to reach the 250 requisition.

I've fixed that now...

#86 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

ROFL! Yes! I love you, Arkhan. Now we can see some TRUE carnage!

#87 ThetaOrion

ThetaOrion

title available

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:16 AM

Ah, it looks like Arkhan found a working solution, so not much more needing to be said about getting scarabs out there capturing resource points and increasing cap limits, at least regarding Malkor case scenario.

I imagine that Arkhan will be messing around with and tweaking the Necrons for months or years to come.

They are different, yet deceptively similar.

--

When I first started playing as Necrons, I was tricked into believing that Necrons didn't need strategic points. I was protecting empty strategic points so that my non-Necron human LAN buddies could capture them and increase their requistion. Big mistake! And we were losing every time.

I was running into caps, and 4 or 5 squads of Necron Warriors isn't enough to win with if the enemy AI gets going.

--

It looks like it wasn't what I was talking about this time around, in Malkor's situation or scenario. But, what I was talking about will come in full play under Thud's scenarios where Thud is talking about maps that don't give the Necrons enough free and easy resource points or strategic points at the beginning of the game. On those types of maps, the Necrons will hit cap limits and will languish and die, just as Thud was been saying or observing.

And, next time that you guys run into problems with the Necron AI look into that Second Monolith. Something happens to the Necrons when they get that second monolith. They seem to get stronger. Maybe they are given an armor bonus or maybe their caps go from 20/20 to 24/20, or some such. Something happens there with the building of the second monolith that I don't fully understand. I have never seen the code, so I am going totally by feel. But, after the Second Monolith goes up, usually after your first Necron Base is completely built, something additional happens with the building of that Second Monolith. Something good!

Then Malkor gets to see even more carnage and an even greater pyrotechnic lightshows from the Necrons.

Edited by ThetaOrion, 15 November 2006 - 01:17 AM.

#88 Malkor

Malkor

Eternity

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:30 AM

The necron lord gets stronger for every tier you progress in (even a restored monolith gives him a considerable boost iirc). All the more reason to tech faster.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users