• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

Scary, but true :blush:

Anywho, for a bit of, dare I say it, on topic stuff:
Tada.jpg
Took me around 45 minutes to complete the UV map. Right now, the computer I'm using doesn't have working RenX, and I haven't bothered to find out how to export W3Ds in 3DS Max 7 (with BFME II SDK Installed). As soon as I get on my main modding computer I'll add it all to the downloads section of my site and post links to download the stuff here. You will have to do the coding yourself, but its not very difficult ;) I don't think I want to do the wall towers or gates today (call me lazy if you want ;)), but its a start to simply have the walls in-game. For anyone who wants to say "What about the wall hub?" just take a second and think about it :p

EDIT: A bit of info about the wall: It doesn't look exactly like it does in-game, but there are a few reasons for that.
1: The only W3D Veiwer that can see it with the skin is EA's, and it displays all models with REALLY bad lighting; aka I could only see the very top of the model, the rest of it was black.
2: I don't want to go in-game and take a Screenshot of one once again, call me lazy!
3: I think I've spent enough of my day on these stupid walls, take them and leave me alone :p As I said earlier, I'll get them uploaded in a few hours.

Edited by Fingulfin, 10 January 2007 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#22 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

I can NOT for the life of me understand how you can be so skilled at such young age (no I won't tell u his age but let's just say I'm a mummy in comparison ;) ), and I find it quite extrodinary that u can pull this off (at least this fast), since SOOO many people have asked about this for like a year now... Meaning, why haven't anyone pulled this off before? ;) But, hey, I'm glad it's u my friend. I bet it will be downloaded like a gazillion times when it's up... :blush:

Now, about the look... What will happen with snow and such? That must be skin right, not fx? But who cares... Mordor walls will be cool as hell even if they don't get covered in snow (hell, maybe it melts by the evil surrounding them? *lol*. But I guess they will look darker in game though, and not so "metallic"? But again... details. Just having them with hubs, gates and towers is like heaven... I mean hell... eer :lol: :p ;)

You go man! :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:50 AM

Thanks, although I wouldn't consider myself very skilled :p As for snow, there is normally an alternate texture, and the code handles when to put it in. For the most part, a mapper can include the "Is Snowy" flag in his map, which tells the engine to pull out all the snow skins. Just take a look at any of the other walls to see how it is pulled off (a "SNOW" model/animation flag). Seeing as these walls were only made for one map (which isn't snowy) I doubt EA stuck in a snow texture. If somebody with photoshop skills wants to take a whack at it, I would be much obliged :blush: The final kit will probably be a small mod, with all the codes intact and everything. Whoever makes the snow skin will get half the credit (even though I did most of the work) when I upload it to MEV as "The Dol-Guldor Wall Kit" or some other just as cheesy name.

Still not on the right computer to upload the UV Map (for those who know how to put it to use), but I will be soon.

-Fin
Posted Image

#24 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

Hehe, well that's my thought exactly... that EA have with most certainty not put any snow skins on those walls. But hey... I use to be an artist, so maybe I could pull that off... if I had the textures as pure images to import into Photoshop :p

What about lighting/ambience? Different maps have different lighting... that "reflects" on everything, including the walls. That must be an fx that is applied to whatever the color of the object is from the beginning? It can hardly be texture right? :p But will light affect these walls too? ;)

Hubs? Are those more difficult to handle? I guess it would be somewhat strange to build walls without hubs though... ;) Hope it works out. Hubs, walls, towers and gates + animations - that would be awsome and you'd probable be in the credits of all major mods to come *lol*

And what about the name: "Fingulfin's BFME2 MordorWallKit" :blush:

Edited by Nazgûl, 11 January 2007 - 04:08 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#25 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

The hubs don't need re-mapping, cause they don't need to be rotated. Being a circle, it doesn't matter if they are 90 degrees off. Then again... I will have to map them anyway, cause the build up animation will want a skin :( Oh well. They should be alot easier, considering they are alot simpler in shape. Its the wall towers and gate that I dread... All the funny shapes will make it not much fun to map. Thats the reason I haven't done any Isengard Wall towers; I don't want to re-map them. Its not extremely hard, it just takes patience (of which I am somewhat short on, not having much time dedicated to modding...). We shall see :p

I'll upload the TGA skin in JPEG so you can edit it and send it back. Quality shouldn't decrease, cause I'm using a converter. I'll upload it in a minute!

EDIT: Here it is!
dolgolgate.jpg
I hope you know how to download pictures from the internet, cause if you don't I don't want to explain it :blush:

EDIT2: As for lighting: It is all done by the skin. BFME II doesn't include any type of dynamic lighting (that I know of). It has nice water though ;)

Edited by Fingulfin, 11 January 2007 - 04:33 AM.

Posted Image

#26 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:51 AM

Hehe off course I can download a pic... jeez ;) ;)
Now - it's just the problem that I can't tell upp from down and right from left on this skin *lol* But I'll experminent a bit... :p

In terms of towers and gates... Hubs and gates are a must (to build and to open/walk through), but towers... I don't think mordor really needs them actually. If one wants them, one can just build towers in game right beside the walls :p It'll spare you some work

So in terms of lighting, if I understand correctly, it is safe to say that no matter if the map is dark, bright, evening light, mid day, afternoon or such - they will still look the same on all maps? :blush:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#27 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:24 AM

Yep ;) The only difference is that if the map has the "NIGHT" flag it will display a window with an orange glow (if the building has a window).

I'll do the wall tower anyway, as soon as I get the time.

To get an idea of the mapping I will draw out a picture in a second that should help you.

EDIT: Sent you a PM ;)

Edited by Fingulfin, 11 January 2007 - 05:35 AM.

Posted Image

#28 Guest_heifi_*

Guest_heifi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

perhaps it is possible to turn arround the towers and gates without 3d moddeling... i have to test it. but as i already said, there is a command to turn single objects, when they are build. it just did not work for the walls...

#29 Stealthsnake

Stealthsnake

Battles of Gondor mod leader

• Hosted
  • 976 posts
  • Projects:Battles of Gondor
  •  coder, skinner, mapper, graphics

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

mordor walls, i was thinking of them the other day. Nice to see your going to put them up for the public fin ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
a mod for rotwk, includes Harad, Rhun, Rohan and Southern Fiefdoms Factions, beta released, site/forums for the mod is here.

#30 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

*working on snow effect* ;)

Thinking about the lighting too... it MUST be an effect, cause everything in the game is affected by lighting, including units? And rotating the camera affect light as well... It just cant be skins, that would require 56870 skins or something *hope Im right* =p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#31 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

Nope, just one skin. The only thing lighting related is shadows and glare off the water. Nothing else ;)
Posted Image

#32 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

Eeehm, but xcuse the perhaps n00b-question *lol*, but how do they get the entire game to look different depending on light at the scene (day, night, rotation angle...). This affects all, as units, structures, shadows and ground and all on it? You're saying that as soon as I rotate thae camera, a different skin is applied to a unit as he shifts from a yelllowish tone to a more redish or blueish? :s

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#33 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

No, the unit DOESN'T CHANGE ;) Record a short video in Fraps and see for yourself. No matter what angle you have the camera at, the unit is the same!
Posted Image

#34 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

Mine DO! Hehe and Ive taped it, but how do I upload it here?

Do u have support for DirectX 9c?

BTW, the snow (more like ice on metal) is finished! Have no idea how it will look on the 3D though... hehe

Posted Image

http://www.bigscreen...lgolgategu4.gif

Edited by Nazgûl, 11 January 2007 - 06:42 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#35 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Could you upload just the snow texture? A GIF won't work well applied to a model ;)

To upload files to revora, just use the full reply button (not fast reply). You will see a box that asks you if you want to add an attachment, say yes and browse to the desired attachment. I normally just upload pictures to my domain, but since I'm on this stinking computer I can't (no FTP Client :-\)

Nevermind, I ripped the Snowy texture from the GIF :)

Normal:
Posted Image
Snow:
Posted Image
Looks good :)

EDIT: Oops, posted the wrong "normal" picture ;) Fixed it.

Edited by Fingulfin, 11 January 2007 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

The GIF was just to show the difference, but yes it shouldnt be any problem to rip it from that Gif as you did. Otherwise I have the JPG here...

Posted Image

And heres the light effect in the game...

*nope, it didn't work. To big maybe*

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#37 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

So are you satisfied with what it looks like? I think it looks great, but I have always been a poor judge on skins ;)
Posted Image

#38 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

Well, I dunno... I guess so. Can't really tell until you see them i game I think... But I guess they'll do? :) But... what about the gate (if you use the side pillars that is, which I hope), the towers and the hubs? If we're gonna use this we'll need ice on them as well... ;)

How you gonna solve the animations and the "weird red/green color on transparent structures" thing, when one plans his layout? I hope you can use some other walls as reference/sub-structure/basic code and "just" place these on top? I have no idea how you do it... but I have faith in you oh master! ;)

(Too bad I'm stuck in Rohan mud, in my almost otherwise finished mod though) *lol*

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#39 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:02 PM

The red/green tranperancy is handled by the engine, so I don't have to worry about it ;)

As for the gate, did you look at what the name of the texture you edited was? dolgolgate ;) In other words, the gate and the hub use the same skin. There is another texture for the towers I think, Not sure until I start mapping them.
Posted Image

#40 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

Ook, cool *thumbs up*. Let me know when you want more things iced down... ;)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users