Photo

Dawn Of Skirmish DC v2.20 AI Mod is now LIVE!

89 replies to this topic

#41 Excitus

Excitus
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

I'm playing co-op with a friend over the internet, using 2 to 6 AIs. We both have low-latency connections and never had problems with any game before DoW:DC... I am now hosting it on my Core 2 Duo E6700, 2GB PC6400 RAM, 7950GT (256MB) @ 1280x1024.

#42 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

Thudo/Arkhan, you guys have an update on the fix for the reload A.I fatal error ? Will it come as a new Beta build before letting it go as 2.2b for example ?

I fear it isn't that easy. The quick fix alone will only avoid a fatal AI error if an ability is activated by the standard ability script. But this also means that the abilities don't work anymore if a save game is loaded.

Does this only occur if you saved the game from within a scenario? Or also if you saved the game on the campaign map? Does the Heroes option affect this? (I don't even know how to enable this in the campaign)

Reason for me asking is that I feel that the campaign might be worth a second try if I could run it with the Skrimish AI 2.2. ;)
The Emperor knows, the Emperor is watching.
Want to zoom out further? Try this camera mod.

#43 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

Does this only occur if you saved the game from within a scenario? Or also if you saved the game on the campaign map? Does the Heroes option affect this? (I don't even know how to enable this in the campaign)

The problem should only occur with save games in a scenario. Campaign map save games should work without problems. I'll try to fix the save game bug for the next release.

#44 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

The problem should only occur with save games in a scenario. Campaign map save games should work without problems. I'll try to fix the save game bug for the next release.

That is great news! ;) I stopped saving the game during a scenario in the campaign early on because I realized that build orders and capture orders were not saved. In other words: Capturing units would just start the game next to the uncaptured point at the start of the game even if the capturing was like 80% done when I saved the game. Secondly, build queues were also lost as well as overwatch orders (IIRC).

So on second thought: If Relic can't even implement saved games fully you might also have more than a hard time fixing this, ArkhanTheBlack.

#45 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:19 PM

Arkhan, the issue affects both saved games in Skirmish and the Campaign. When I made the small report with the screen shots that was during the Campaign, where Heroes isn't activated (to answer Inquisitor). And then I made it clear that it affects all races and also occurs for Skirmish saved games as well. At first I thought it was only in Campaign, but sadly it happens whenever I reload a saved game from either the Campaign or a Skirmish (and the map isn't relevant).

#46 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:08 PM

Arkhan, the issue affects both saved games in Skirmish and the Campaign. When I made the small report with the screen shots that was during the Campaign, where Heroes isn't activated (to answer Inquisitor). And then I made it clear that it affects all races and also occurs for Skirmish saved games as well. At first I thought it was only in Campaign, but sadly it happens whenever I reload a saved game from either the Campaign or a Skirmish (and the map isn't relevant).

Yes, sure! But I meant that you can play the campaign as long as you don't save during a campaign scenario map.

#47 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

Not to change the subject, but I just had an online match with two friends vs. 3 AI and we experienced a sync error. :( We then disabled SCAR and Heroes and had a game vs. 3 hard AI without problems.

#48 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:11 AM

Yes, sure! But I meant that you can play the campaign as long as you don't save during a campaign scenario map.

Oh, sorry, hehe.

Well indeed, but saving a game during the Campaign is almost a necessity. I can't really sit down for 10+ hours and try to finish it, not to mention that there's seven races to do, and let me tell you that according to what I've seen, playing it with the A.I Mod turns the Campaign into something very challenging, and just one mission can potentially take hours, literally. Still, the Mod is focused on Skirmish games, not the Campaign. The Campaign is exactly where people usually save their games, I rarely save my Skirmish games since they never last long enough (now, a Skirmish in, say ... Supreme Commander, that's another story).

#49 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:12 AM

Inquisitor - what was the speed of those computers you played on? Was the host machine slower than the others. Makes a BIG DIFFERENCE as I've run 2v2 LAN games with v2.2 with no issues with HEROES and SCAR SUPPORT running. Let us know about system specs. The DoW engine cannot handle slow machines and netcode.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#50 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 05:15 PM

I can't really sit down for 10+ hours and try to finish it, not to mention that there's seven races to do, and let me tell you that according to what I've seen, playing it with the A.I Mod turns the Campaign into something very challenging, and just one mission can potentially take hours, literally.

Oh, alright... I didn't think of that! I think some of the longest games I had in the campaign lasted about 3-4 hours, so I would just pause the game when I needed a break. I would still hestitate saving the game even though it might go as long as 10+ hours just because of the original issues with save games. Don't you find it annoying that some things aren't saved? Well, I think I will start a new campaign anyway, but I will just have to leave my computer on during the night. Luckily there are no problems with Alt-tab and DC!

Inquisitor - what was the speed of those computers you played on? Was the host machine slower than the others. Makes a BIG DIFFERENCE as I've run 2v2 LAN games with v2.2 with no issues with HEROES and SCAR SUPPORT running. Let us know about system specs. The DoW engine cannot handle slow machines and netcode.

The host computer has an AMD Opteron running at 2700 MHz, 1GB RAM and a 7800GTX, so it is quite capable. But we will try it with another host (2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram), maybe already tonight.

#51 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

Oh, alright... I didn't think of that! I think some of the longest games I had in the campaign lasted about 3-4 hours, so I would just pause the game when I needed a break. I would still hestitate saving the game even though it might go as long as 10+ hours just because of the original issues with save games. Don't you find it annoying that some things aren't saved? Well, I think I will start a new campaign anyway, but I will just have to leave my computer on during the night. Luckily there are no problems with Alt-tab and DC!

On my system if I leave DC running, and Alt-Tab out of it to the Desktop and resume on other activities I find my PC being extremely sluggish. I don't know about others though, but I always try my best not to leave it running in the background if I know I want to do something else.

#52 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:52 PM

On my system if I leave DC running, and Alt-Tab out of it to the Desktop and resume on other activities I find my PC being extremely sluggish. I don't know about others though, but I always try my best not to leave it running in the background if I know I want to do something else.

Yes it is also sluggish on my machine, but checking/answering mail and/or browsing is alright.

#53 Dragi

Dragi
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

Btw: It's now ready to download from dowxmp.de too, there was a bad link between board and file, sorry. So you can add it to the mirror sites.

#54 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:30 PM

Btw: It's now ready to download from dowxmp.de too, there was a bad link between board and file, sorry. So you can add it to the mirror sites.

Thanks! :D

#55 Lprsti99

Lprsti99
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Bah, late reply, but this is the first time I've been able to get on (stupid faulty connection)

Found a few bugs with the heroes mod:
1. When you attach a hero to a squad (I've only done FC, but I assume it's the same with all others) the hero drops to regular rank.
2. When Essence of the Nightbringer runs out, and the Nightbringer changes back into the Lord, he is back to Regular.
3. Units possessed by the Lord Destroyer can't gain experience. Judging by your modder's readme, this is probably because other race's vehicles don't have an entry in the Necron's experience table. Of course, this might be intentional, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention in case it isn't.

#56 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:50 PM

Check the FAQ.. the updated HEROES file is sent based on Arkhan's fixes.

Lprsti99 - hmm.. guess we're seeing the limits of SCAR aren't we? :D

#57 nse70

nse70
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:45 AM

Eldar Fire Dragons are definitely broken.
Did Arkhan mention it was a Relic bug?
Since Fire Dragons are the Eldar's main AV, Eldars get owned by vehicle races consistently from every game I've run.

All I've seen the Fire Dragons do in game (Hard difficulty, insane difficulty) is :
FoF run (while getting shot at),
stand pretty (while getting shot),
fall back to regenerate units,
capture strategic points (while getting shot at),
fire at infantry doing a mere 5% of their full damage,
fire at commanders doing a mere 5% of their full damage,
and occasionally harass (not kill) buildings and light vehicles.

Fire Dragons could stand next to enemy vehicles for 10 seconds, and choose to fire upon enemy infantry the whole time.

I've actually seen the Fire Dragons kill 3 harbinger drones. But the drones would have died by themselves anyways, so that wasn't the most helpful thing. :)

Edited by nse70, 26 February 2007 - 06:50 AM.

#58 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:59 AM

Blame Relic d00d.. this is an old argument where we don't have the code to allow FOCUS FIRE hence the reason we limit the # of FD squads for the Eldar AI to just 1.

#59 nse70

nse70
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:04 AM

Ya. It's just frustrating since I'm an Eldar player.
Whenever I see a mass of enemy vehicles, I know the AI Eldar is about to get completely pwned within 4 minutes. Brightlances only slow the steam rolling, never defeating it.
4 Brightlances = 1 Fire Dragon squad.

Since Howling Banshees are the next best AV, perhaps permanently substitute the Fire Dragons with an extra squad of Banshees?
1 squad of Howling Banshee AV = 0.42 Fire Dragon squad AV.
An extra Banshee would also help Eldars hold the line, and hold Fire Warriors.

Damn you Relic!

Edited by nse70, 26 February 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#60 danuker

danuker
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

Blame Relic d00d.. this is an old argument where we don't have the code to allow FOCUS FIRE hence the reason we limit the # of FD squads for the Eldar AI to just 1.

They really need to fix the FD's target acqusition code. If you just leave them be, they just tend to shoot at a target with one or two squad members instead of getting everybody in range, unless you explicitly order them to get close.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users