#1 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions topic.

In this topic you will be able to find answers regarding:
- Hosting
- Site
- FTP
- DNS
- MasterNews
- Network Bar
- Forums

This FAQ may be updated at a later time.

If you have any questions that are not listed in the FAQ, please feel free to post a topic in our Hosting Information forum.

Hosting

Q: How do I get my project hosted here?

A: There are a two ways to get your project hosted at the Revora Network. First you should carefully read how our hosting works. From there you can either fill the form at How To Get Hosted, or Hosting Requests forum. Make sure that your have read the guidelines for applying before posting a topic in the hosting requests forum.

Also make sure you are registered at Revora forums before filling the form or posting a request. Only registered members can get hosted. Registration is free.

Q: Does hosting at the Revora Network cost anything?

A: No, our hosting service is completely free of cost.

Q: How do I get hosting support?

A: Revora offers several ways to get your support. You can ask questions in the Hosting Information forum, or contact us at hive[at]gamemod[dot]net if you have any questions about our hosting services.

For those who are already hosted, we offer the Hosted Support Forums (C&C hostees use this instead). Hostees can also contact Blaat, Jeeves or the leader of the division that hosts your project through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Q: I'm interested on getting hosted, but I have some doubts. How do I contact you for answers?

A: You can ask any questions you have in our Hosting Information forum. Or you can contact Blaat, Jeeves or email your questions to hosting[at]gamemod[dot]net (replacing the [at] and [dot] with @ and .).

Site Related

Q: How do I create a site?

A: You may need some HTML and PHP knowledge with some graphical skills. You can find or ask for help at the web design forums. There are PHP tutorials here and some HTML tutorials here.

Q: How do I find people to make a site for my project?

A: You might be able to recruit some people at the web design forum. You can also ask for help at the Hosted Support Forums to get some network staff to help you, if available.

Q: Do you allow direct downloads?

A: Yes. There is no need for logins or waiting lines here, just download.

Q: Do you support PHP and MySQL?

A: Yes. If you want a MySQL database please e-mail or ask in the hostees support forum (hosted members only). Note that we will not provide mysql databases for php nuke portals.

Q: Can I use PHP Nuke? It's so easier to setup a site for my project with that!

A: No. PHP Nuke is not a reliable software. We already hosted several sites with it and were hacked. Avoid using content management systems, since most of them are naturally hacked after some time.

Q: Can I use Cute News to manage my news posts?

A: No. We also hosted several sites that were hacked due to Cute News vulnerabilities. We do recommend MasterNews 3 or, if you don't like it, K2 News Management.

FTP Related:

Q: What is FTP?

A: FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It's the way you transfer your files to your webspace. Hostees get their own FTP account, to which they can upload their screenshots, preview videos, mod releases, any files related to your hosted project(s).

Q: What programs do I use for FTP?

A: There are good free programs like FileZilla (free) or SmartFTP among others. While most of the browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc supports FTP operations, they are not recommended for not having a proper interface for it and be insecure with passwords.

Q: Do you have a way of uploading files and pages via programs like SmartFTP?

A: Yes. When you first become hosted, a staff member will tell you the FTP settings to use.

Q: Will we have un-limited storage space?

A: We do not meter/watch/gauge the amount of file space a uses. You are free to use as much as you like. However, everything has a limit, our server has a limit of 140gb. It is our job to make sure every hosted site has space and upgrade when more file space is needed.

DNS Related:

Q: Do you allow domains? Do you support DNS?

A: Yes. If you have a domain (example: yourmod.com), you can use it here. Ask a staff member for help.

Q: Do you buy domains for hosted projects?

A: Yes. Only if the project has been with us a long time and has helped other hosted projects.

MasterNews Related:

Q: What is MasterNews?

A: MasterNews is a custom modification for IPB created by Mastermind designed to export news. It gathers news from one or multiple forums and generates an include php file using custom templates. This allows news from any projects to get spotted into bigger hubs such as Revora.Net and on their own sites.

Q: How do I setup MasterNews in my site?

A: You should request it at this forum topic (Hostees only). Provide us the following information: News Forum name and description, a link to the News Template (html file), amount of news articles in the page. Once it's created, an admin will provide you the PHP code to add it to your site.

Q: How do I create a news template for MasterNews?

A: Read this forum topic (Hostees only) for all MN3 special tags. If you need any samples, we recommend the CnC Guild one at our collection of templates.

Q: How do I edit a news template from MasterNews?

A: Head to MasterNews 3 control panel. Use your Revora login and password and click on Edit Template.

Q: Can I have more than one news forum for my site?

A: Yes. MasterNews has no limitations on the amount of forums that you can use to gather news for your site.

Q: Can I have more than one news template for my site?

A: Yes. MasterNews has no limitations on the amount of templates that you can use for your site.

Network Bar Related:

Q: Do I need to add the network bar in my site? Why?

A: Yes, you do. The main objective of Revora is to unite everyone's creativity. History has proven that exchange of information was one of the key elements for the development of the world civilizations and, in Revora, we believe that this can also be the main factor for improving the quality of the creative projects hosted here, as well as the creativity skills from those who visit us. The network bar will allow visitors to know the rest of the community from your site and your site will be automatically for everyone. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

Q: How do I add the network bar?

A: Head to this topic for more information about it. (Hostees only)

Q: How do I skin the network bar?

A: Head to this other topic for more information about it. (Hostees only)

Q: How do I get my site added in the network bar?

A: Use the Hosted Support Forums (C&C hostees use this instead) or contact Blaat or the leader of the division that hosts your project through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Forums Related:

Q: Can I have forums outside Revora?

A: No, this is actualy one of our few hosting conditions. The main objective of Revora is to unite everyone's creativity. The shared forum plays a key part towards reaching this goal.

Exceptions to this rule are possible, but need to be discussed with the leader of the division that will host your project. This can be done through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Q: Can I have my main forums at Revora and my staff forums outside Revora?

A: Yes, staff forums are private forums. Whether they are located at Revora, or located outside Revora makes little difference. Just as long as the main (public) forums are at Revora.

Q: Can I have subforums? How do I create them?

A: Use the Hosted Support Forums (C&C hostees use this instead) or contact Blaat, Jeeves or the leader of the division that hosts your project through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Q: Can I have a passworded forum for my staff?

A: Yes. Use the Hosted Support Forums (C&C hostees use this instead) or contact Blaat, Jeeves or the leader of the division that hosts your project through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Remember that the password should be provided in private way such as a PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc. The same procedure must be done to change your password later.

Q: What is Project Team?

A: Project Team is a user group composed of all of those who are staff at one or more projects hosted in the network. We place staff from every mod in the same group to motivate exchange of skills and help between the mod teams that doesn't have passworded staff forums.

Q: How do I promote my staff to Project Team?

A: Hosted+ can use MasterMember to promote New Members and Posting Members to Project Team.

Q: How do I add or remove moderators to my forum?

A: Yes. Use the Hosted Support Forums (C&C hostees use this instead) or contact Blaat, Jeeves or the leader of the division that hosts your project through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Q: Can I prevent guests from posting in my forum?

A: Contact Blaat, Jeeves or the leader of the division that hosts your project through PM, email, MSN, AIM, etc.

Q: How do I skin the forum?

A: This feature will be returning soon.

If you have any questions that are not listed in the FAQ, please feel free to post a topic in our Hosting Information forum.

The Revora Staff
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users