Photo

Skirmish AI 2.5 Beta 4 - Post Comments In Thread!

34 replies to this topic

#21 RobertW7928

RobertW7928
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:50 AM

geez I'm sorry if i don't seem to help you guys, but i did mention that the ai donations needs work for online and do i get thanks, :p Noooo!

Also i like to add/ask i don't know if its a good idea if the ai could do something, sometimes, unpredictable like use a bone-singer teleport into back of enemy base and build webway or something like that give you a surprise, oh by the way do you or are you supporting transporting troops this will be useful for eldar webway network, is there a way to use Heros rule in campaign mode? , and would it be better in assassinate mode for the IG command squad to research uncommon valor to increase squad size asap and what about chaos lord wouldn't it be better if he ascended asap, also i played a few games and won by IG assassin snipe the opposition commander just sat there while i killed him/her shouldn't they like do something (move)? can you also make so if you cant build a building and you say built a HQ in allied base and there builders aren't doing anything can they build it for you? and there was something that seemed a waste was the IG ai executed more than 1 squad at a time they only needed 1 exacute in this patch v1.2 unless they where spread out (which they weren't) which seemed a waste especially if there tight for requisition, also Tau at the start sometimes the Tau Commander and Stealth Suits would pace there attacks and not fire auto this seems to wore later into game but i don't know if it a disadvantage or not just thought you like to know.

#22 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

geez I'm sorry if i don't seem to help you guys, but i did mention that the ai donations needs work for online and do i get thanks, mad2.gif Noooo!

We know that problem for more than half a year. In our AI mod, a reported problem doesn't equal a solved problem. There are lots of problems we are aware of, but we can't solve for different reasons.

Sorry, we read all posts, but we can't afford the time to answer everyone of it.

#23 RobertW7928

RobertW7928
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

ok sorry about that i was just trying to help thats all ^^

#24 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

I don't have much time now. Therefore no more testing of 2.5 from my side. Guess it's fine. AI's greatest problems are known and unsolvable (pathing, turrets at back and generators in front on some maps) or will take too much effort (running around too much, troop concentration sometimes lacking). It is very sad that relic never fixed the pathing issues. It's sad to see squads or whole armies moving through the enemy to some distant point, thinking they were safe doing so. If at all possible I'd like to see agressiveness in smaller steps. Gather a strong force. Capture a nearby enemy point. Move on from there in small steps. Perhaps it is possible for the AI to 'remember' when capturing squads are killed before they reach their destination. If this happens 3 times in a row the path is most likely unsafe. Same for builders. It would also be good if a builder is first send to his building location and will only get the building command when he arrived safely. This will avoid trying to finish a building with more builders which can never reach the target in one piece.

Good job, great team. Thanks for being a member.

Larkin

geez I'm sorry if i don't seem to help you guys, but i did mention that the ai donations needs work for online and do i get thanks, :thumbsupdrool: Noooo!

Thanks for your input and sorry that you feel ignored. ok ?

Edited by LarkinVB, 08 August 2007 - 07:54 PM.

#25 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

- The "base back" building being built on the front is rare. Happens but its rare. If it gets blown away the AI just rebuilds it back. Its a new bug for sure but not a killer one.

- Yes the "troops running to an area without fighting to get there first" is a complicated one - AI would have to determine how important that area they are rallying towards to either run for it or fight to get there. Arkhan I believe mentioned this is a little complicated as there are a few scenarios that could foul things up. Further, this issue has been with us for a long time denoting the challenge of conquering it.

Fortunately, the vast majority of players cannot even tolerate HARD skill with our project so we've done a damn fine job in our 2.5+ year project! Bravo!
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#26 mdcertainty

mdcertainty

Sage-Otaku-Monk

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, you did an awesome job, many thanks to all who are involved in developing the skirmish ai :xd:

ec-sig-early.gif

#27 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

I found a problem while AI is building bigger generators.

-- Check if we are building a bigger generator
	local iBiggerGeneratorID = cpu_manager.stats:GetBuildingID(self:GetBuildingName("BiggerGenerator"))
	if (not self:HasResourcesForBiggerGenerator(iRequisition, iPower) and self:GetPlan("Build Building Plan", iBiggerGeneratorID) ~= nil) then
		self:SaveRessources(true)
		return
	end

This code will save up resources even while the bigger generator is being built ! That is a very long time. AI should check wether generator is already under construction.

#28 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

Good find Larkin..

For a possible v2.60 I'd like these 2 issues to be looked at if possible:

1) Randomly placing Non-Military buildings on Front1 or Front2 (ie. AI will sometimes place an HQ or BaseBack-designated structure on the front). Was this bug caused due to DC v1.2 Patch? Fortunately, its NOT a critical issue as its only ONE building that is ever placed this way and not a bunch so if it were destroyed the AI rebuilds it back as it should.

2) Reassess the Attack-Move tactic when moving troops to either help ally OR moving to a safepoint/chokepoint. Generally, units will run/drive "into the fray" and be slaughtered when trying to move somewhere. Again, this is not priority and may likely never be fully tweaked due to complexities involved per situation.

v2.50 goes for release today! ;)

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#29 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

Code should look like this. Perhaps it can make it for 2.5
	-- Check if we are building a bigger generator
	local iBiggerGeneratorID = cpu_manager.stats:GetBuildingID(self:GetBuildingName("BiggerGenerator"))
	if (not self:HasResourcesForBiggerGenerator(iRequisition, iPower) and self:GetPlan("Build Building Plan", iBiggerGeneratorID) ~= nil) then

local bUnderConstruction = false
		for oBuildChannel in build_manager:GetBuildChannelAIs() do

if (oBuildChannel:GetBlueprintID() == iBiggerGeneratorID and not oBuildChannel:ConstructionDone()) then
				bUnderConstruction = true
			end
		end

if (not bUnderConstruction) then
			self:SaveRessources(true)
			return
		end
	end

#30 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

Fixed it! (Though in a different way...)

#31 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

Yep. Much better.

Isn't it a good idea to use this plan_started value for other cases too ? For example while the AI is building a tier addon (takes a long time too) it will save resources even while already building, right ? It should at least build some squads if it's army size is small.
Example : Ork AI with no army but 3000 req and 300 power, building the orky fort, will build no squad for a long time, right ? I sometimes observe comparable cases. When the tier addon is finished the AI has gathered so many resources that this will trigger an immediate second HQ. Guess this is not what was intended.

You already added a function to check for excess resources to be spend anytime but the power limit for this function is too high.

Edited by LarkinVB, 16 August 2007 - 07:47 AM.

#32 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

Isn't it a good idea to use this plan_started value for other cases too ? For example while the AI is building a tier addon (takes a long time too) it will save resources even while already building, right ?

True! Unfortunately 2.5 is already out, so it has to wait...

#33 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

Strange. Checked your code and you seem to already use that check.

#34 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

I accidentially messed up my DC installation and deinstalled the rest. Time for a break for me. I think 2.5 is quite an achievement we can be proud of. Thanks for lots of hours having fun (and frustration) doing the AI.

Larkin

#35 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

Ouch.. C u back Larkin.. wouldn't take long to reinstall it btw.. :rolleyes: