thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

Sorry Larkin.. I felt the Necron C'tan AI issue needed to be addressed but this is more for the Relic execs to examine for the second SS patch (not likely to show up in Patch1).

Of course I have grave concerns -- come April 10th when they announce DoW2 what incentive will Relic/THQ have to continue to offer support? They'd be working full-tilt on DoW2. Also makes me wonder about what lackluster AI will be in their next major offering but thats probably a given.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#22 Capulin

Capulin
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:33 AM

Of course I have grave concerns -- come April 10th when they announce DoW2 what incentive will Relic/THQ have to continue to offer support? They'd be working full-tilt on DoW2. Also makes me wonder about what lackluster AI will be in their next major offering but thats probably a given.

Sorry to be veering off topic here Thud but I just wanted to say that I'm rather excited about the Dawn of War 2 announcement and all... but personally... I'm going to be rather "miffed" if all of the races they've released already aren't available in said game... not to mention Daemon Hunters and "Nids."

More than likely what we'll be getting is the same core races all over again like in the origional DoW... and as you mentioned... probably a sub-standard AI. -_^

#23 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

Ok, I'll give up posting in this thread.

#24 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:53 PM

Sorry Larkin.. ok folks.. stay on topic.. project matters..

#25 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

Update...

Now that both DarkEldar Builder and Talos can "cannibalize", can we make the Kroot Carnivore Squad do the same since that previous extension ability was exported for the AI to use?

#26 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

Now that both DarkEldar Builder and Talos can "cannibalize", can we make the Kroot Carnivore Squad do the same since that previous extension ability was exported for the AI to use?

Yes, I've already added it for the Necron Flayed Ones, but I'll also add it for the Tau carnivores.

BTW, I also fixed the DE builder problems. However, there is one not so good news. Dark Eldar seem to have a crash bug in the 30 min+ ultra late game. I checked it out and it isn't (directly) related to the AI. All units and buildings were out ten minutes ago. We should send the logs to Relic, we can't fix that.

#27 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Whooaaa Whooaa CTD in Dark Eldar Late Tier4? Did you fix the Rekindle Rage HQ Ability? Thats what caused the CTD for me in late DarkEldar's Tier4. Once I disabled that script the DarkEldar never CTD.

#28 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

Whooaaa Whooaa CTD in Dark Eldar Late Tier4? Did you fix the Rekindle Rage HQ Ability? Thats what caused the CTD for me in late DarkEldar's Tier4. Once I disabled that script the DarkEldar never CTD.

No, it's still disabled. The CTD I have doesn't occur in the AI code, that's the problem! I was going to have a look at all those deactivated abilities now. Do they all cause a CTD, too?

#29 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:52 PM

No, it's still disabled. The CTD I have doesn't occur in the AI code, that's the problem! I was going to have a look at all those deactivated abilities now. Do they all cause a CTD, too?

Nope.. only CTD I got reliably was caused by the Rekindle Rage HQ Ability. Thats it. I even verified it via the ai_log.txt. It was consistent and easily omitted.

This new CTD doesn't make sense.. what is the AI_log.txt saying? Is it the DE causing it or another faction (I obviously assume its DE since you say it is)? :thumbsupsmiley: I tested DE out thoroughly before sending my build to both you and Larkin and noted why DE only CTD'ed for me: it was that HQ ability. Once it was omitted, it never EVER CTD.

#30 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

The CTD isn't reliable. I never got it on Battle Marshes but several times in Kasyr Luthien. Like I said, the CTD is ultra late game. Most games are usually over before it occurs. I think I never had a CTD before that happened after the 30 min mark.

The AI logs show nothing special. They all end perfectly clean and fine. I had all DE AI battles. The CTD is definitely unique to DE.

Edit:
I had a look at the rage script and I probably know why it crashes. Stay tuned...

Edited by ArkhanTheBlack, 15 March 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#31 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

Hmm.. I've done similar testing and, as mentioned, it was only the Rekindle Rage HQ Ability because it would ONLY happen in Tier4. But wait.. you do not get the error on a 1vs1 but do in 3vs3? What about 2vs2? I've seen some oddities with factions when in 3vs3 alliances but in 2vs2 they are fine (remember the Eldar AI with building only one kind of Soulstone addon per Aspect Portal? That happens when Eldar AI is in a 3vs3 alliance, not 2vs2). However.. is it all DE's in a 3vs3? Try 2vs2.. bet you get no CTD. If not.. Yep.. 3vs3 alliance is screwed... next then, try a 6player map but all FFA and all factions are Dark Eldar.. it could be the alliance mode in 3vs3 is screwed..

#32 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Just for code cleanup:

There are some cpu_manager.cpu_player:GetGameTime() / 8 calls which can be substituted by g_iGMT

#33 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

This time I got the crash earlier at ~20 min. It's weird. It would be nice if the CTD would only occur with many DE, but still... it simply shouldn't happen.

BTW, is it normal that I can unleash DE soul abilities in observer mode? While watching an AI battle I saw the buttons in the interface and thought: "Hey cool, some buttons! Let's click them a bit!"

There are some cpu_manager.cpu_player:GetGameTime() / 8 calls which can be substituted by g_iGMT

Argh, there are still some left?!

Edited by ArkhanTheBlack, 15 March 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#34 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

BTW, is it normal that I can unleash DE soul abilities in observer mode? While watching an AI battle I saw the buttons in the interface and thought: "Hey cool, some buttons! Let's click them a bit!"

It's one of the two gamebreaking multiplayer bugs.

Do you get the DE crash with vanilla AI too ?

Edited by LarkinVB, 15 March 2008 - 10:39 PM.

#35 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

This time I got the crash earlier at ~20 min. It's weird. It would be nice if the CTD would only occur with many DE, but still... it simply shouldn't happen.

Yep I can reproduce the 3vs3 6p_Kasrkain Lucien CTD now. It now always happens in Tier4 on the second game. Its happened regardless if I had the HQ abilities on or not. Its happened if I had both AI donations and Heroes disabled or not. Leave this one with me since I can easily reproduce.. standby..

And Affirmative on this DE HQ abilities showing up for observers AND All-AI battle sessions... Relic is supposed to be fixing that..

#36 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:23 AM

Update..

Found the DE CTD culprit.. its in the DarkEldarInfantryTactic.ai file.. will further update but I narrowed it down totally to that as I got the 3vs3 All-Dark Eldar to run multiple games without crashing when disabling that tactic file. Hang tight..

Edit: Narrowing it down to either the Hellion's Tracking Device script or the infantry names designated as transportable. Getting close..

#37 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:06 AM

I just noticed that DE and sister have self.squad_ai:GetStats():GetSquadName() whereas the old code always uses self.squad_ai:GetSquadName() for squad names.

#38 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

It's one of the two gamebreaking multiplayer bugs.

Do you get the DE crash with vanilla AI too ?

After reading all of your comments guys I played two vanilla games to see if I'd get crashes with the Dark Eldars.

The matches consisted of all Dark Eldar factions, no others.

I've tried two 4 Vs 4's, one in an official map, another in a custom map, on Hard difficulty: No crashes (matches 32 minutes).
I've tried one 3 Vs 3 in an official map, on Hard difficulty: No crashes (match lasted 24 minutes).
And finally, a 2 Vs 2 on an official map (good ol' Mountain Trail), on Hard again: No crashes (match lasted 22 minutes).

Nice to see that you're surely narrowing the cause of the CTD down to specific units and functions.

Edited by Zenoth, 16 March 2008 - 10:02 AM.

#39 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

I just noticed that DE and sister have self.squad_ai:GetStats():GetSquadName() whereas the old code always uses self.squad_ai:GetSquadName() for squad names.

Yep cleaning that up. That was redundant code left over from my previous SS experiences from awhile ago. :thumbsupsmiley: I think the DE Infantry as transportable is the causing the current CTD.. will investigate but need to sleep. Have an updated DarkEldarInfantryTactic too. :D

And thank you Zenoth for testing Vanilla DE AI.. very much appreciated!

#40 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

Well Thudo, I don't know if you had a flash of genius or just did some try and error, but it seems you've found the cause. It looks like the Hellions tracking device is causing the crash.
Extremely nasty behaviour to crash outside the AI code. Indirect AI bugs are so ***censored***!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users