Photo

Skirmish AI 3.0 Beta 7 (Release Candidate 2) - Post Comments In Thread!

50 replies to this topic

#21 troubadour

troubadour
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

Nothing major found, i had a game where Orks performed badly but it was either map or BO related 'cause after that i settled 2 games on Fallen City and they kicked my ass twice !!
I have just one question for my own knowledge is there a way to force 'fast tech' to detectors ?

Edited by troubadour, 08 April 2008 - 07:37 AM.

#22 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

Not sure but didn't the last installers auto detect the game folder ? The beta ones did not.

#23 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

I have just one question for my own knowledge is there a way to force 'fast tech' to detectors ?

Most races have special code to get detectors when needed, but it's not 100% reliable.

Not sure but didn't the last installers auto detect the game folder ? The beta ones did not.

It works on my computer.

#24 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

Has always worked here too and my Soulstorm is installed on the root of another drive and NOT in the typical default location.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#25 Xi-Xao

Xi-Xao
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Has always worked here too and my Soulstorm is installed on the root of another drive and NOT in the typical default location.

We can't wait to see your new SS baby here (3 of us to be precise). SS is about a month out and you guys are doing so much work in so little time! I am hanging around the forum everyday reading all the news. So I just stopped by to thank you for all your fantastic work. Although I didn't make it to testing team be sure we'll put your new AI to the testing limits, soon hopefully :thumbsupsmiley:

#26 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

@ Arkhan/Larkin/Thudo

Any of you guys looked for what I've reported for this build? If so what's your own conclusion(s)?

I've tested some more and so far what I've noticed in my report happened only one time within three Skirmishes.

#27 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Sorry Zenoth. I stopped testing. I think it is no showstopper.

#28 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

Any of you guys looked for what I've reported for this build? If so what's your own conclusion(s)?

I checked the report of course, but the capturing issues can happen. There are several special conditions that can cause a unit to stop capturing. Sometimes those conditions are not so obvious. For example capturers have a threat range of 50 around the capturing point. That's not a small area. In some situations it can happen that an enemy unit just 'touches' the threat area and causes the capturer to stop, even if the enemy unit was just passing the area. This can look very odd. Further, if the home base is attacked can also cause a unit to interrupt the capturing.
If such situations don't happen too often, it's nothing to worry about. Most time the AI is just 'overreacting' in such cases since it still thinks very 'binary': (It's a computer after all :thumbsupsmiley: )
I'm stronger than opponent => WORLD DOMINATION!!!
Suspicious car wheel was found => Send the national guard!
I'm weaker than opponent => Dig a big hole and hide in it.
etc.

I know, it's a bit rough explanation. But it's the cause of the most 'happens just from time to time' scenarios.

#29 jezbum

jezbum
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hi all.

Can someone please point me to the download link for this release candidate. I would like to help test it. Thanks.

#30 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:54 AM

Thanks for the nice details Arkhan, it's fine then, and as you said and indeed as I noticed, it doesn't happen often at all. :)

@ jezbum

The testing phase is now over as far as the current testing team is concerned. Now Arkhan/Larkin/Thudo (especially Thudo) are preparing for the final release. I don't know when it will happen, but it will be very soon, there's no more code to tweak/add/remove, and the team is now happy with the current build's status. We're now asking to all of the fans of the mod to patiently wait for the final release, it'll be worth it you have my words. :wink_new:

#31 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

I reall wonder what takes Thudo so long to load it up and post it. Documentation ? Real life ? Drug abuse ?

#32 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

I reall wonder what takes Thudo so long to load it up and post it. Documentation ? Real life ? Drug abuse ?

He's probably making a documentation about drug abuse in his real life :wink_new:

#33 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

Hope it will be a video and we can all see it soon on youtube. :wink_new:

Edited by LarkinVB, 09 April 2008 - 11:44 AM.

#34 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

Relax... plezzz..

#35 poisty

poisty
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Been Amped for days(oh the anticipation) –Just like to say great work guys

#36 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:29 PM

WE ARE LIVE FOR SS ! :xcahik_: :tongevil: :tiger: :lion: :good: :wink_new: :)

#37 LarkinVB

LarkinVB

title available

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Sorry to say but some strategies are borked.

Eldar strategy 4 : Whole tier 1 with just 3 guardian squads ? No farseer but 3 builders instead of 2 ? It is not even fast teching. At least this did not get totally stuck like :

Ork strategy 3 : This is completly broken. Orks won't tech at all nor build stormboys. They stay with initial 3 sluggas + big mek forever. Seems they just can't hit the 750 limit for pile of guns with this. I had them gather 4000/3000 with this strategy.

Perhaps there are more broken strategies ? Guess we have to test them one by one with attack/harass delay to check what they are actually doing.

#38 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Eldar strategy 4 : Whole tier 1 with just 3 guardian squads ? No farseer but 3 builders instead of 2 ? It is not even fast teching. At least this did not get totally stuck like :

This is old, very old. It's a simple fast tech strategy like most other races have. They are also restricted to 6 players and large maps.

Ork strategy 3 : This is completly broken. Orks won't tech at all nor build stormboys. They stay with initial 3 sluggas + big mek forever. Seems they just can't hit the 750 limit for pile of guns with this. I had them gather 4000/3000 with this strategy.

Okay, that's broken! However, we might add a slight AI update when the patch gets released. We can fix it then.

#39 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Indeed, I'd also say that you guys should wait for the upcoming patch before doing anything. And you guys have earned your rest, too, it's time to enjoy your own work now or to drink some beers, but in the end you guys shouldn't code anything until a couple of days at least, take this with a grain of salt until the time comes to fix other stuff, is my humble advice.

#40 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:13 AM

Hmm.. couldn't reproduce the problem on this Eldar BO. I also don't outwardly see the logic flaw in the sequence of builds. Regardless, this is the 4th BO so its highly unlikely to be used but I tried it 3 times and the AI did well with it.

Now this I can see being a problem. Look at both the SM and CSM Assault BOs as a guide as you need the Armoury built immediately in the BO to get those Assaults out. This works for them but for the Orks 3rd BO it needs a slight correct then its ok.

Good find, Larkin.. thanks for that sleuth work.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users