Photo

SS Patch 1.10 Released - updating Advanced AI commencing..

33 replies to this topic

#21 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:54 PM

Yep saw that back when I got the updated 1.10 attrib.. thanks guys.. I've always long since had a way to intimately see the difference between builds even if they are undocumented.

Btw, I can confirm that the Hellion Tracking device CTD when the AI uses it does occur. However, the AI script to allow the Hellion-controlled AI to target an any enemy unit with the device might be the issue. I am testing against perhaps ONLY using the Tracking Device on high-value units like Commanders. Will update..
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#22 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:07 PM

Update..

Going to send the first beta candidate to Arkhan tonight for tweaks and testing! The Hellion Tracking Device bug doesn't seem as pronounced as before but if we find the testers have issues with it then it will be disabled.

All in all, very pleased with this build for SS 1.10. Testers will, as always, be contacted to commence their appraisal.

#23 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:17 PM

That's perfect, I'm on standby.

Thanks to both of you Thudo and Arkhan for taking the time to update the mod for the newest patch :wink_new:

#24 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:46 AM

Superb!

Pre-3.10 build was sent to Arkhan so waiting on him to add his own flair to it.

#25 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:46 AM

By the way, I'm curious, can you provide any change logs now Thudo?

I was looking at the 3.0 bugs thread here: http://forums.revora...showtopic=59587

And I'm just wondering which one of the bugs mentioned in that thread have been addressed?

#26 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

We're aware of that thread and changes based in there will go into the AI 3.10 release. Arkhan was made aware.

#27 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:01 PM

Do you think we'll have anything to put under our teeth for this week-end Thudo? Arkhan?

By the way, I jumped in and I bought Red Alert 3, and so far I'm pleasantly surprised! I didn't expect that much from EA to be honest. And the A.I is actually good, at least in my book, I've noticed that the base-analyzing is much superior than that of C&C 3's, and by that I mean that, for instance, if I build lots of anti-air that covers all of my base's angles the A.I, as I've tested just on Normal difficulty, will effectively stop sending in planes, and they sent in V4 rockets (Soviets) with the anti-air as their priority, they also sent in Natasha and she called in air strikes which often worked. I just like the counter-attacks so far.

Anyway that's off-topic, I'm sorry. So yeah, anything about the status of the next build Thudo?

Thanks.

#28 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

Yep I have RA3 but haven't had time to play it -- still working on DoW projects. RA3 seems massively "ghey" though with some of the real dumb units and attention to "hot women. Hell.. Tanya for the Allies is a frick'n stripper for pete's sake. RA2 was decently sexualized but RA3 pulls it waaayyy over the top. We shall see.

As for current build -- waiting on Arkhan currently. He has my build submission for mid-week.

#29 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

I'll probably send a new build to Thudo tomorrow. I had to reinstall SS again because the installation was corrupt (no idea why...). I made some changes to the attack behaviour this evening and have a look on some other problems tomorrow. It's quite a while since I touched the code the last time and a bit busy with real life issues, so I'm a bit slower than usual.

Don't know if I should try RA3 since I didn't like the C&C3 gameplay. My current favourite is still COH by far, although the AI isn't exactly great.

Stay tuned...

#30 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

Thanks Arkhan, nice to see you around here man.

By the way, about RA3, yesterday I've played more skirmishes, and while the A.I I believe this time around is quite good (at least when compared to C&C 3's) I am disappointed by the fact that super-weapons (or even semi-super ones, you'll understand if you do buy it) cannot be turned off during the skirmish settings, so for the first 15 minutes of game-play or so it's fun, strategy prevails, and proper counter units are very important (that's unusual for a C&C game). But then once the super-weapons start to appear on any side, all of that stops, and it becomes a race for them, and it's a matter of who's getting there first and presses the button first, and your base(s) get destroyed in a matter of seconds.

If EA can release a full SDK this time around, unlike C&C 3, then I'll be sure to modify that. As for the upcoming DoS build I think it could be nice to mention that a new patch was released, it's just a hotfix though, patch 1.20, here are the changes:

- Min_Damage_Value on tau photon grenade reduced to 45
- Sisters of Battle Blessed Armor research will no longer affect all Sisters of Battle units
- Restored Monolith can now properly garrison Flayed Ones squads

#31 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

By the way, about RA3, yesterday I've played more skirmishes, and while the A.I I believe this time around is quite good (at least when compared to C&C 3's) I am disappointed by the fact that super-weapons (or even semi-super ones, you'll understand if you do buy it) cannot be turned off during the skirmish settings, so for the first 15 minutes of game-play or so it's fun, strategy prevails, and proper counter units are very important (that's unusual for a C&C game). But then once the super-weapons start to appear on any side, all of that stops, and it becomes a race for them, and it's a matter of who's getting there first and presses the button first, and your base(s) get destroyed in a matter of seconds.

If EA can release a full SDK this time around, unlike C&C 3, then I'll be sure to modify that. As for the upcoming DoS build I think it could be nice to mention that a new patch was released, it's just a hotfix though, patch 1.20, here are the changes:

Yeah thats most RTSes -- You have no option to Turn OFF SuperWeapons. However, the worst is when you do play with SuperWeapons it still tells your opponent the time left til it can be fired. Uggggggggghhhhhh! So frick'n dumb. Its better that its either NOT shown or the timer is blacked out to the opponents -- gawd what a thriller that is nothing knowing when the weapon can fire. Suspense city!

Anyway, RA3 is just cheeze.. too many hot women for each side is just an RTS p0rn show and just over sexualizes the game. I prefer C&C3/Kanes Wrath any day but that game pretty much made each of the 3 sides the same. Meh.. more RTS dumbing down as per usual.

#32 Zenoth

Zenoth

title available

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

Yeah thats most RTSes -- You have no option to Turn OFF SuperWeapons. However, the worst is when you do play with SuperWeapons it still tells your opponent the time left til it can be fired. Uggggggggghhhhhh! So frick'n dumb. Its better that its either NOT shown or the timer is blacked out to the opponents -- gawd what a thriller that is nothing knowing when the weapon can fire. Suspense city!

Anyway, RA3 is just cheeze.. too many hot women for each side is just an RTS p0rn show and just over sexualizes the game. I prefer C&C3/Kanes Wrath any day but that game pretty much made each of the 3 sides the same. Meh.. more RTS dumbing down as per usual.

My idea for the super-weapons, if a full SDK is released, will be to make it so the players will need to send in a Spy inside the super-weapon's structure and/or inside the science/battle laboratory to actually get the super-weapon's status/timer. Now of course only the Allies have the Spy, but with a mod simply including it in all sides will do it. But timer or not I think that super-weapons in RTS'es is overdone. The super-weapons idea itself is good, but dammit why does it have to be so powerful that it can destroy a base that took you 20 minutes to build under three seconds, that's idiotic, RTS'es need to be symbolic, not realistic.

I prefer the idea of super-units instead, such as the Relic units in WH40K, or such as the ones included in C&C 3 Kane's Wrath, that's more acceptable than a Nuke or an Ion Cannon covering the entire screen and destroying everything within it. If I do mod it I will not only apply the Spy idea I have but I will dramatically increase the costs, build/charge/recharge time and dramatically decrease the damage, simply because I love long-term skirmishes. I don't like having to set up the same skirmish or a different one each 10 minutes because that's just how long it lasts on average. You build, you have fun for five or ten minutes, then the super-weapons come in and voila, next game? No thanks, I don't like it.

And it's the main reason why to this day WH40K, Age of Empire II and Company of Heroes are my top three RTS'es.

#33 dreddnott

dreddnott
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

Well, since Soulstorm finally got patched I guess I'll go back to playing and testing. :p

Was pleasantly surprised to see a 1.2 hotfix released so quickly.

#34 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

Yeah SWs do make RTSes kinda stupid when they are too over-powered. Generals/ZH as well as C&C3 do have powerful SWs don't they? :p

As for the recently released 1.2 SS hotfix -- yep have to examine it. Likely nothing for the AI to be concerned about.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users