Photo

Map Bugs

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Onodrim_*

Guest_Onodrim_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

You guys could just not use the Moria items as the floor, and just texture it with the same stone texturing you used on Erebor and Blue Mountains.

#42 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Something I thought didnt look very good on Arnor, was what appeared to be 2x overbright enabled. The whole map almost glowed as a result, kinda hurt my eyes a bit too. lol

#43 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

I was trying to go for that bright, glare look actually, seeing as it's a morning/daytime snow-map. And the bloom lighting doesn't show through the fog of war either, so it's not like it's that bright all the time.

Anyway, it's really not that bad is it? As long as you've got clouds enabled, you shouldn't have a problem seeing units and such.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#44 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

It wasn't horrible, I could still play. I just found that it was distracting and kinda took away from the map. If the effect was what you wanted then just ignore me. :)

#45 Guest_Onodrim_*

Guest_Onodrim_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

That map's lighting wasn't that bad to me, but some maps (I can name Mount Gram off the top of my head), are just way too dark, I can't see anything. The only way to see is to turn brightness up all the way, and then it just looks weird. Shelob's Lair also had this problem I remember. If you look at EA's version of that map, it really isn't anywhere near that dark.

#46 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I've never been a big fan of bloom lighting.
But I get why you'd use it for a dawn setting.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#47 Guest_Hunter_*

Guest_Hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Playing on the Khand map, I noticed that the Gondor Fountain's animations are bugged.

#48 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

That map's lighting wasn't that bad to me, but some maps (I can name Mount Gram off the top of my head), are just way too dark

Well when I made that map I decided the only way too get the cave feeling I was after was to go quite dark, You can always have a fiddle with the lighting in worldbuilder if it really is too dark for you.

#49 Guest_Onodrim_*

Guest_Onodrim_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hehe, I was just extracting that map from the .big folder to edit it a bit, when I came across a certain "Eastgate" map...

#50 Guest_ACDC3_*

Guest_ACDC3_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Had a problem with the dwarven Fortress AI on Erebor, they built buildings but no units.

#51 Negtharayas16

Negtharayas16
  • Project Team
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

One thing I have noticed. With a lot of maps, there are many places where it is impossible to use spell powers [variations of terrain area effects, summon aid spells, etc] because there is simply not enough room. For example, in almost all city maps, there is no way for gondor to bring in dthe knights of dol amroth or the AotD to defend themselves if their fortress is IN the city - there is just no room and the spell "map overlaid picture" will always be red. Only when the go on the offensive and get into open ground can they use these powers. Is there anyway to change this? Obviously some spells should have limited areas of placement [eg erebor's mithril mine should logically have to be out in the open].

#52 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

That's not a problem or a bug, it's by design. Just keep on summoning them outside the fortress.
Posted Image

#53 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

The engine's determination of summon areas is something that is rather hardcoded in general. We can get around it sometimes by choosing the correct behaviour, but sometimes the more 'flexible' behaviours (say using the AotD summon parameters) give poor results when used with a unit they weren't intended for.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#54 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Er what?
You just have radius' set too high or the maps have a lot non-taintable areas.
It doesn't matter what unit it is.
There are essentially 2 types of "Summon" Enums ones that go in bases (Palantir,Industry) and those that can't (AOTD,Ents etc).
They are very flexible to the point where you can have non summon enums for summon spells it doesn't even matter what faction they are used on (despite what some have said in the past).

#55 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

If you don't care about the aesthetics and actual location of the summon, you're absolutely correct!

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#56 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

If you want to have units only really summoned near the base to give the feeling of reinforcements coming from the base I get that and it's your call.
But it does limit their functionality and flexibility somewhat.
I tend to use summons to protect my core units when they retreat and then have them keep the enemy occupied while I regroup.

#57 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

That's not the question here (not sure where you got that from). The issue is that certain enums (SPELL_BOOK_ARMY_OF_THE_DEAD, SPECIAL_SPELL_BOOK_PALANTIR_VISION, SPELL_BOOK_EAGLE_ALLIES) allow summoning without detecting collision (or limitedly), which works for ethereal or flying units because they don't get stuck. They also have internal differences for what you can summon on, as I'm sure you know.

Other enums don't allow collision to varying degrees. If you've tested extensively with the different types (namely SPECIAL_PRINCE_OF_DOL_ARMOTH, SPECIAL_SPELL_BOOK_ELVEN_ALLIES, SPECIAL_SPELL_BOOK_BALROG_ALLY) you should have noticed that they actually have different targeting properties. Some don't allow summon unless the terrain across the radius is flat enough. And so on. To get the behaviour we want, the actual enum needs to be selected properly.

So the original question was that on city maps it's hard to find places where you can actually summon some of the powers, which is a valid complaint. The answer is that the powers that we want to function in a specific way sometimes need targeting properties that restrict their utility.

sig.png

#58 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Vales of Celduin has pathing issues on the upper right ford. units traveling south to north along the ford bunch up quite a bit and struggle to move across the ford.

#59 Naugrim.

Naugrim.
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Not really a bug, but on the Dwarrowdelf map, all of the Moria items look kind of pale and grey. This can be easily fixed by turning off the "2x overbright lighting" option. This makes those Moria items look really cool, however you may have to mess with the other lighting options so it isn't too dark.

#60 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Vales of Celduin has pathing issues on the upper right ford. units traveling south to north along the ford bunch up quite a bit and struggle to move across the ford.

Is this happening all the time? Any chance you could grab a screenshot or two?

Not really a bug, but on the Dwarrowdelf map, all of the Moria items look kind of pale and grey. This can be easily fixed by turning off the "2x overbright lighting" option. This makes those Moria items look really cool, however you may have to mess with the other lighting options so it isn't too dark.

Yeah i'm having a play around with the Dwarrowdelf map at the moment, and having a look at the various options when it comes to objects, lighting, buildplots and such. I'll turn off overbright lighting though.

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users