Photo

Looking for Dawn of Skirmish creators

3 replies to this topic

#1 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hello! I'm here through the link provided in the Dawn of Skirmish installation.

What I'm hoping to accomplish is find out just what the licence is for the Dawn of Skirmish mod. (I'm using 2.6 for DC, if that matters). The reason for this is that I've started toying with the modding tools and I'm working on a pet project of mine, a small mod for Dark Crusade that mostly focuses on Grey Knights and Daemons. (And yes, I'm aware of the excellent I:DH mod that exists for DC, but as great as it is, I don't think that one captures the feel of GKs properly; also, I like the original GK voices). I'm a very newbie modder and it's a small and insignificant affair that I only showed to a few friends so far, but if I get far enough, who knows, I might want to put it up on filefront or something.

I'd would greatly prefer to provide my mod with AI adjustments by modifying the AI provided by Dawn of Skirmish, rather than have to work with the very sucky AI provided by Relic. But unless I missed something, Dawn of Skirmish does not come with an actual licence which would state the terms under which others may or may not use the content. Now the AdvancedAIGuide does give advice for precisely this sort of thing, so that implies it's allowed and expected, however I would be more at ease if I could get an explicit statement about this from the owners of Dowai. I have no desire to steal other people's content.

So, to keep it short: is it permitted to get AI for one's own mod by modifying AI files provided by the Dawn of Skirmish mod? Or if permission need first be obtained, how do I go about doing so? Credit would of course be given.

Thank you, and I apologise in advance if I missed something obvious.
Markus

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:19 AM

As long as you credit the entire DoW1 Adv. AI team I see no issue man..
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#3 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:05 AM

*grin* well that was simple enough. I guess I'm just conditioned to expect the GNU public licence or some equivalent on things like that.

Thanks! Now on to making these modifications of mine even work...

Edited by Markus Ramikin, 18 March 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Well its always best practice to credit the entire team of work in which you will be using.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users