Environment concept thread

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Ok, so this is the environment concept thread. It's purpose is to get a feeling for the world the game takes place in and as a starting point for further 3d, concepts or level design. Concepts, reference images or other inspirational environmental stuff goes here. Feel free to contribute or comment! Let's find out what the world of Grymleif looks like :p

I started on some environment concepts. Currently I'm just fleshing out some ideas for scenery, mood, colors and weather, so if you find some of it cool, or completly off, let me know!

I've been having a somewhat English/Scottish/nordic scenery in my mind as a base. I think highland'ish envirnonments would look really cool. Also, historically correctness was not my first priority when doing these concepts..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, so that's it for now! I'll be doing some more in-between other tasks :p
Web : www.simonnyhus.com -- Blog (which will be resurrected soon, I assure you!): http://powersimon.blogg.no

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

As I said on msn, GET THIS OUT ON THE FORUMS NAOW.

My favorite right now is probably the dock-city, I just love the masonry and the houses.

The one with (I Think) Grymleif looking over a Asterix&Obelix village has a nice mood and colors, all that it misses are some sheep/goats standing next to him or something :p.

the green field will be very nice reference for a open map, perhaps a in-between villages type map.

The fog concept reminds me of Sleepy hollow for some reason, I feel the fear in those schmucks stuck up in the watchtower. Not a big fan of the bended roof-boards though, the straight ones are better imo. Also, I think the Saxons aren't very fond of fresh grass on top of their houses, Grain-straw is dryer, looks more autumny/repressed and more prone to fire :p

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

Cool, thanks :p

Sheeps/Goats is a great idea! We must definitely include that! (I can already imagine this stupid critter sheep going around, minding it's own businiess :p)

And I'll ditch the bendy-roof-beams in the future! Grain-straw sounds more correct too!
Web : www.simonnyhus.com -- Blog (which will be resurrected soon, I assure you!): http://powersimon.blogg.no

#4 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

Nice concepts. Really professional quality art on this game.

I think this project deserves some more exposure. Maybe you could make a site + development blog?
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#5 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks man :p

A website/development blog would be cool. We should get one! Maybe it would make recruitment easier and morale better as well? :crazed:

Anyway, I've been going around with pictures of sheep in my head since you mentioned it, duke. So here's a possible concept for a sheep farm/mountainish village

Posted Image

No more bendy or grassy rooftops!

#6 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

I'll look into a blog system, nag DLOTS and figure out what is the quickest way to get something okay up and running.

love the sheep, blackheaded are the best imo :crazed:. Nice doors too, build with what you have and all that.

Grassy roofs aren't bad by themselves, I think they might fit better in a mountainous area than they do in a coastal area: Coasts are wet, which makes the earth on the roofs moist and saggy and more likely to leak/break the house; also, plants grows differently and can be more picky about building up resistant roots to keep the dirt from sliding off in a proper rainstorm. mountains on the other hand have less rain, more resilient plants that can lasts weeks without any proper watering, and looks more the sort :p

Thatching is good stuff for small villages near coasts with big plains for raw material around. Sod roof/Turf roof is more for foresty/mountainy areas where you have access to birch bark to waterproof the roof below the turf.

Shingle or Shake is good for them semi-elite buildings. Slices of wood/paper/whatever held together with glue of different sorts.

Imbrex and Tegula is more for the high-and-mighty buildings. Clay tiles or other more rare materials. The super elite buildings can have bronze or gilded tiles, which wasn't unheard of back in the day.

Saxon architecture might be more useful in the future, as those are the supposedly bad-guys we have, we probably should look for buildings in that style. The article says they use a lot of thatch, so we are in luck there :popcorn:. I'm imagining as we go deeper into the heart of darkness, we will see more and more big blocky buildings in darker colors than the local architecture.

Sorry for the big post, I just figured adding some research on different roof styles might be relevant for the future :crazed:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#7 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

It will most certainly prove relevant :p
Thanks alot for all the links! Got a lot of ideas from it! And I think its a great idea going from more farmlike wooden vikingish houses to anglo saxon stone houses/towers/churches/castles/whatever as the game progresses!

Thatched roofs coming up! :crazed:

Edited by dunkejudas, 23 May 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#8 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

Good stuff, good stuff. I did test out the new brushes in photoshop yesterday on a small enviroment. I'm not pleased at all but at least its training :popcorn:

Might as well upload it here, but it won't steal your thunder :crazed:

Posted Image

bah, this screen is horrible. better muddy things up a bit to avoid the neons.
Bit better now, can't polish a turd forever as they say. I am going to need to study your concepts more and learn shading a bit better, then colors :p

Edited by duke_Qa, 23 May 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#9 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Really cool! :crazed:
Great that you're contributing. Cool stones as well. Those could break up the silhouette of background hills (or similar clean terrain) nicely.

And as for shading and stuff, I believe the concepts provide just as much guidance without any fancy shading. I know I've taken alot of inspiration and ideas from your line drawings and sketches on this forum so far!
(and not to derail the topic or anything, but I've made a quick gif with every 5 layers in Photoshop or something of the port-concept.. If you're interested in the workflow or something --> http://i48.tinypic.com/x40vbk.gif)

#10 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  • Projects:Only War, Only War 2
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

Oh crap... I just made some kind of logo for the blog/site thing header using the concept pics on the site... (which are TINY)... i knew i should have looked here first! :crazed:

Oh well.. It turned out alright anyways, and I too like the dock village one the most!
My DeviantArt - Check it out.
Posted Image
My Wii code: 6472 3114 4930 8707

"Om du kan stå, när alla andra sviktar
och sen klandras du för att just du står rak
Om du kan tro på ditt när andra riktar
sitt välbekanta tvivel mot din sak

Om var minut av nitti sen kan fyllas
med verk av dig som giltigt räknats ner
min vän, som jordens konung ska du hyllas
men du är också man, och det är mer."

#11 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

O.O

Will this piece of art be free?

You guys are doing a super-PRO job... I'm speechless...

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#12 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

Yea, I suppose it'll be free :)
Thanks..

Ok, so, well, I've been trying to make some more elite saxon buildings made out of stone or the likes.. Sorry for the Monkey Island colors on the second one. Things got out of hand! (but then again it's kinda cool...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I suppose the buildings are a bit exaggerated, but I thought it would be cool with some somewhat large buildings resembling monasteries or some sort of castle keep. Let me know what you think!

@Boomerang: I have most of the concept pieces in a bit higher resolution on my hard drive if that's needed later on. I'm not sure the images are detailed enough to look good in higher resolution, though.

#13 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

It is after all a 2d sidescroller we are making, tall buildings are a must for most maps. I don't really mind the colors on the second one, it gives you that evil elite ballroom feeling which should work just fine.

the first one is my favorite though, it really has the right style to it. It has that churchly posture to it, yet is probably what the Saxons would whip together over a night with a few hundred slaves :)

#14 Botjer

Botjer
  • Project Team
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

wow i really love these pics guys.
exaggeration isnt bad as long as it is in-style

#15 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

I really love all art you guys have made so far!

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#16 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

How about some concept of the final boss castle, mate? Would get me some inspiration I think, to get cracking again.. :p
Posted Image

#17 dunkejudas

dunkejudas
  • Project Team
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

I'm on it! :p
I think it would look cool to mix up some of the anglo saxon arcitecture we're already closing in on combined with more traditional castles (like this http://steventill.co...over_castle.jpg) to get a somewhat correct, but still badass looking final setting.

However, the crazy overtime at work is back, so It'll go slower than usual.. :(

EDIT: Also, what do you think about the castle's location? I think it'll look cool with a snowy, up-in-the-mountains location or something like that. Suggestions or tips appreciated! :crazed:

Edited by dunkejudas, 29 May 2010 - 12:26 AM.

#18 Botjer

Botjer
  • Project Team
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

maybe we could put layers in the background where you could glimpse the coming levels?

#19 Boomerang Python

Boomerang Python

Only War Mod Leader

• Hosted
  • 2,370 posts
  •  Colonel-Commissar

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Yes, a wintery scenery would be epic, up in some mountains in the highlands, also go for that castle idea sounds coolio.

@botjer I've been thinking about how we're gonna do the backgrounds.. I guess we'd have some sort of several layers of background images with alphas at different distances from the camera to make it feel realistic mixed with random 3d models perhaps, maybe we could have the layer furthest back be a representation of the next level or something..
Posted Image

#20 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

Ooh, we like those kinda castles on hills, gives potential for Y-dimension funstuff. Winter terrain sounds awesome, makes for some kill-bill esque showdown with the big-bad, full moon blue white snow dark blue masonry, bonfires, purple/green/cyan fires of magical doom, that sort of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users