#1 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  • Projects:Work
  •  I changed

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hey, I know that it's considered illegal to use bfme2 stuff in bfme1 without EA's permission but if I got some bfme2 models and edited them a lot so they looked nothing like the original, would I be allowed to use them and would they work?

#2 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

Don't know, i'd say give it a go... And if they look entirely nothing like the original i suppose it might not be too bad.
Ridder Geel

#3 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

cuz I wanted to make some Haradrim buildings for bfme1 and I found them kinda easy to model :p

#4 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

You write in the past tense ... does this mean, that you actually did port BfMe2 structures to BfMe1, without any problems? ... retaining original textures? ... and porting the animations too? (as a first step before modifying the structures).

I know Robnkarla's tutorial on the process of porting structures from BfMe1 to BfMe2, so I thought there might be also a few problems in the reverse process. If you have some positive experiences on this, you should consider sharing those.
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

Soory that I write in the past tense. Blame my school(s) for teaching me terrible things :p I'll try to make a building when I'm at my proper computer that uses Renx and then I'll tell you if it works..... hopefully

#6 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

Well, I'm curious if you get this working ... anyway, good luck. :p

#7 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hey, I know that it's considered illegal to use bfme2 stuff in bfme1 without EA's permission but if I got some bfme2 models and edited them a lot so they looked nothing like the original, would I be allowed to use them and would they work?

Honestly, don't bother. Just do it.

I know the general tone around here is that "normal modding" is all perfectly just and legal, even though people kitbash copyrighted images they find with Google, and that taking BFME2 models and putting them into BFME1 is somehow a cardinal sin and will get you thrown in jail, but that's ridiculous. EA has never once given a damn about such a thing, so why should we? On the off-chance that they do mind and that they somehow manage to recognise their models, they will let you know and you'll have to take the models out. End of story. Heck, read the EULA for details; it might even be perfectly legal.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#8 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Well Ridder Geel even said to me that EA wouldn't care about bfme anymore ;) So I think we should be allowed to use models from one game to another in the bfme series and even let them be put up as public mods :grin: And if EA really do give a sh*t then they'll tell us that it's bad :p I know that animations from bfme2 don't work in bfme1 because I have tried that but buildings don't really use animations unless they have passenger bones :) Anyway, am I allowed to use certain models from bfme2 in bfme1 and put the mod publicly on T3A? ;) And I might read the terms and conditions to see if it is legal but only when I'm not in lazy mode :p

Edit: I use a lot of smileys... :p

Edited by Unknown, 12 February 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#9 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Honestly, don't bother. Just do it.

:p

I know the general tone around here is that [...] taking BFME2 models and putting them into BFME1 is somehow a cardinal sin and will get you thrown in jail, but that's ridiculous. [...] End of story.

That's one of the most straightforward no-nonsense statements that I've read in a long time. Thanks a lot, Phil.

#10 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

Well Ridder Geel even said to me that EA wouldn't care about bfme anymore :) So I think we should be allowed to use models from one game to another in the bfme series and even let them be put up as public mods :p

Allowed: probably not.
Nobody stopping you: probably yes.
There is a pretty common saying in German that we took from the Latin original: nullo actore, nullus iudex (= Without a plaintiff, there is no judge). Basically, not everything needs to be perfectly right and strictly legal - as long as nobody complains, you don't have a problem.

Anyway, am I allowed to use certain models from bfme2 in bfme1 and put the mod publicly on T3A?

Like I said, you're probably not. But we won't complain before EA complains ;)

Yeah... don't. It makes me think a certain someone has had a bad influence on your posting behaviour.

I know the general tone around here is that [...] taking BFME2 models and putting them into BFME1 is somehow a cardinal sin and will get you thrown in jail, but that's ridiculous. [...] End of story.

That's one of the most straightforward no-nonsense statements that I've read in a long time. Thanks a lot, Phil.

Thanks, but I don't think I deserve much praise here. I'm really just writing down my opinion.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#11 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yeah... don't. It makes me think a certain someone has had a bad influence on your posting behaviour.

Is his name Lauri by any chance :p

#12 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

off-topic: are you serious? ... you use smileys only as a sort of punctuation (as some others also do), Lauri don't ... Lauri is really an expert in sophisticated use of smileys, you could learn a lot from him.

on-topic:

I forgot to link to Robnkarla's article mentioned above. I don't know if it's useful, as you're doing the reverse porting, but it's a very good article in relation to the subject; there might be some hints at least.

Article by Robnkarla: Retain textures when importing for BFME2 models

If you're not familiar with Hex-editing, don't be scared ... learn it; it's really very simple, and in some cases essential and extremely useful.

#13 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

I do not deny the fact that Lauri is a good modder and person but he doesn't really use smileys anymore..... or does he :p

Anyways, I'll read Rob's tutorial and see if it helps.

#14 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:37 AM

...and that taking BFME2 models and putting them into BFME1 is somehow a cardinal sin and will get you thrown in jail, but that's ridiculous. EA has never once given a damn about such a thing, so why should we?

I think you're right in that backporting BFME2 content isn't a big deal and that EA couldn't care less, but i think it's more the principle that most people disagree with. If people wanted to play a game with BFME2 models and factions, they'd just play BFME2. Or if you're creating a mod with a fair amount of BFME 2 content, why not just mod BFME2 instead of BFME1? It makes far more sense to mod BFME2 to be similar to BFME1, then visa versa (just look at BFME 1½ or RC mod).

Besides that, most of the new BFME2 stuff wasn't all that impressive. The only things i'd probably consider using are some of the civilian buildings or various natural props. Even then, you'd still have to model build-up/destruction states to use them as faction buildings. Modelling something from scratch is going to give you much more satisfaction as a modder, and the public are more likely to be impressed, rather than thinking "well it's just a remodel of a BFME2 model. Big whoop.".

if I got some bfme2 models and edited them a lot so they looked nothing like the original, would I be allowed to use them and would they work?

Go ahead and try it if you like. But if they're going to look completely different, why not just start from scratch? It would save you the trouble of trying to fix any bugs you might come across.

I do not deny the fact that Lauri is a good modder and person but he doesn't really use smileys anymore..... or does he :p

I don't think Phil was referring to Lauri. Think a bit yellower harder.

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Oh boy is it me? :good:
Ridder Geel

#16 clank234

clank234

The guy who is always on the forums :)

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Projects:Scaled war in the South
  •  coder, skinner, modeler, a lot of help from Ridder Geel and Kwen :)

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Oh boy is it me? :good:

You use more :p's and :p's than anything :p
"Strayed by the little and it will fail" ~ Galadriel

"So do all you live to see such times, but all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" ~ Gandalf

"Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life" ~ Gandalf

"Men, men are weak" ~ Elrond

"Then i will die as one of them" ~ Aragorn

"Certaincy of death, small chance of success. What are waiting for?" ~ Gimli

"How about dying side by side with a friend" ~ Legolas

"War will make corpses of us all" ~ Faramir

-------------------------------------
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users