LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Expression of shock. In this case it is wonderful.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#43 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Oh. That's comforting. Thank you, I'm always eager to please the great MtL!

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#44 {IP}Solstice

{IP}Solstice

The Relayer

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

It looks pretty cool so far dude! I dig your living world map, and if you like, need a map or something, I'd be happy to make you one!

my political compass: http://www.political...-4.75&soc=-5.69
my website: http://future4.weebly.com/ (out of date)

#45 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Glad to hear it, Solstice, so I'll know who to ask if I need any of the best maps! Though I think I'll do much of the preliminary mapping to get it how it should be.

#46 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Too many/too few? http://code.google.c...enoreansFaction

#47 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hulk - Trollish undead abomination

Can't Wait for that one :p

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#48 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Seems like you have plenty of units, maybe a bit slim on buildings.... But I think Im having trouble understanding the tech tree, For instance Men of Numenor would simply outclass any orc - even a mixed breed.

I think the mixing of Orcs and Numenoreans doesnt fit well. Atleast in the way you have done it. Id almost prefer something supplimentary through the spell book rather than direct production. Sauron exploited the Numenoreans pride and greed by filling the kings head with entitlements - It would be unlikely that theyd allow orcs and trolls within their ranks. Though I do like the dark magic units, and the assassin

#49 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Magic - yes!

Assassin - huzza!

And I agree with NJM, the Numenoreans were proud, and would have never placed themselves with any other peoples in a faction. I don't think Sauron would have brought over orcs and trolls with him either and/or have the Numenoreans accept them into their armies.

Also, remember that there are no humans brought back to life in Middle-earth, save Beren. Extended and painful life - yes, like the Nazgul and the Dead Men of Dunharrow. But things like Barrow-wights and the Dead Marshes are evil spirits or something else's extended will. Sauron or anything else in Middle-earth cannot force a fea back into Middle-earth. I am paranoid about this fact, and I am over-thinking your Wretch unit. ;p

Will the units be able to receive a Death-mask upgrade, kinda like in RotWK where they gained a bonus after reaching a certain level?

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 30 January 2013 - 05:17 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#50 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Will the units be able to receive a Death-mask upgrade, kinda like in RotWK where they gained a bonus after reaching a certain level?

This aint Harry Potter. LOL sorry had to do that. does it say anywhere in lore them wearing dark masks?

#51 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

The assassin could be a problem because techincally most units in the game are humanoids does he one shot heroes, what about trolls and ents?

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#52 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Uggg, I dislike HP immensely. I meant that I like the fear upgrade that was gained with a level up - a type of upgrade that was shared with a few units like the Noldor and their Weapon Song. There is nothing in the lore about Death-masks. ;p

#53 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

The assassin could be a limited unit. I think his one shot kill ability should be a special, It would also be neat to have him stealth near buildings trees and rocks

#54 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I think the mixing of Orcs and Numenoreans doesnt fit well. Atleast in the way you have done it. Id almost prefer something supplimentary through the spell book rather than direct production. Sauron exploited the Numenoreans pride and greed by filling the kings head with entitlements - It would be unlikely that theyd allow orcs and trolls within their ranks.

Whilst yes, that's true that they were a very proud nation, and that this might have been the case without Sauron's intrusion, I disagree; remember, having built a monument to and proceeded to worship fervently Morgoth, I'd say accepting his loyal 'prophet' Sauron's suggestion to recruit allies to their same cause.

The purpose of Orcs, in-game and realistically, is for cheap, massive numbers who no-one will miss, whereas the Numenorean lineage is important to its members. Cheap, crap cannon-fodder.

Also, remember that there are no humans brought back to life in Middle-earth, save Beren. Extended and painful life - yes, like the Nazgul and the Dead Men of Dunharrow. But things like Barrow-wights and the Dead Marshes are evil spirits or something else's extended will. Sauron or anything else in Middle-earth cannot force a fea back into Middle-earth. I am paranoid about this fact, and I am over-thinking your Wretch unit. ;p

Aye, undead was indeed a simplification. Ironically, I seem to have underestimated the scrutiny under which mods are watched; the concept for the Wretch was a merge of the spectres of the Dead Marshes, Sauron's earlier entitlement of 'the Necromancer' and a desire to redo the original Barrow-Wights which EA made that I hate with such a passion. I did concieve it as an unconventional Tolkien 'undead', a malevolent Maiar inhabiting a body, rather than reanimation of the deceased.

The same idea inspired the 'Hulk', just a more powerful spirit which requires a bigger body, and as such is prone to a more clumsy rage and apparent insanity than the grace and ferocity of a Balrog. Something like a less comical version of the Grotesquery, as seen here: http://goo.gl/hQLL8

This aint Harry Potter.

Nah, you don't say? No, I'm with Apollo on this one, I don't really like the idea of 'upgrading' them with a facemask, I'd rather have them come with facial helmets on level one, instead of saying that a face hat's gonna increase their entire body armour value.

The assassin could be a limited unit. I think his one shot kill ability should be a special, It would also be neat to have him stealth near buildings trees and rocks

That's what I had in mind, maybe two or three single elite units with a one-hit kill which can only be set on an unmounted Hero or foot troops.

Hope that's answered most of it, though I anticipate continued controversy about the Orcs. I am less sure about adding them now.

#55 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yeah the orc stuff is gonna be a problem for you.... I hate to say it but its kind of like youre pulling an "EA" no offense. Its pretty clear that Numenoreans arent going to have any orcs or trolls. If you want to represent some of the evil things they did, you might want structures that have sacrifices, Its hard to create a faction that is in my opinion "genocidal" They cut ties with all the other races, subjigated the lesser races of men and captured/sacrificed those who remained "faithful" or associated with the other races.

The question is how is that represented in the game without the faction becoming an "evil version of Gondor"

An interesting idea is to have all or maybe one or 2 elite Numenorean units have an ability to capture enemy units (cool down required) then these units have to be taken to the sacrificial alter to get points for the spell book.

#56 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

If in doubt always go back to the lore.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#57 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

Aye, on that note I think I'll abandon Orcs and trolls, though that is an interesting concept, NJM.

Not sure how to implement it, but I'd love to do so.

#58 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

The ... Hulk. Just a little teaser.

export_by_obsidianlake-d5tgnoj.jpg

#59 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nice! I really admire your modeling abilties!

#60 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Looks Cool

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg