LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Some ambience sounds I made for the City of the Dead in Lord of the Rings (the place where the Oathbreakers of the Dwimmerberg live.)

I should also mention that it is ambience, and not the final version. The epicness/creepiest part is after 1:40 2:00 and a goes on for a bit.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 27 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Is it just me, or do I hear a bit of O Fortuna around 2:30?  Tisk.  But it's not bad if the entire thing was very silent in the background with very low music.  Actually, if you lower the sound and up the bass, it would be really eerie.

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

More bass is definitely noted. All the sounds are pieced together and edited in Audacity, the O Fortuna is an edited except from what I got from Wikipedia.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

Oh wow, I was right about the O Fortuna?  A ding-dong diddly 5 points for Pasidon.  But yea, if you want eerie, the ambiance that always works is the one that people don't really notice.  Which is sort of the point with most ambiance since you want it to blend with the environment.

#5 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Jeez, Pas, that ears... O Fortuna is really subtle, but with all those effects it feels quite low-quality, but I guess that was your objective, so it's fine. It's too noisy, but maybe with some bass things will clear up and shape up better.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Great advice, Gen.  Good thing you got to him as soon as possible with that very original advice.

#7 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

My work here is done. :cool:

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#8 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

MtL, if you're still on with this, check out Gnaw Their Tongues or Mors Sonat for tips. They do dark ambience music, though the former is significantly less subtle, especially with the L'Arrivee De La Terne Mort Trimophante EP.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#9 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  • Projects:An Unexpected Mod
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

What mod is this intended for?

#10 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

The Special Extended Edition - Director's Cut. Basically I am revamping the Paths of the Dead map. A lot. I have already added a few custom models

I was working on the map a couple of days ago (I had a tiny amount of free time but I'm teaching at the moment and I can't really make anything until September but regardless.)

Thanks for the ideas of what to listen to Irene. I will certainly listen to them using Spotify or something when September swings around.

#11 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  • Projects:An Unexpected Mod
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

It's really good but maybe just a bit too harsh. Maybe if it was quieter and also had a little less interference it would sound a bit more ethereal and ghostly, right now it kind of sounds... alien?

Sorry, I don't mean to slag your work off, it is still fantastic, it's just that because it's supposed to be background ambience rather than the main sound I find a tiny bit too intrusive, that might be different in-game though. :thumbsuphappy:

#12 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Yeah, I found that too when I listened to it again after ages. =p

Thanks for the tips. =D

This is what I want to make out of it:

• John Howe, I do believe, said somewhere that he imagined O Fortuna playing in slow motion when designing the Paths of the Dead. So that has to be in it.
  • The Dead are to be heard most of the time
  • There can be silence
  • It is in a cave-like environment
  • Music may be played on top of the track - this is only the ambience, just like the Lothlorien and Fangorn maps have ambiences - they have loud ambiences too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users