Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Since we at T3A:Online are new to organizing tournaments, we would like your input on which maps to approve for our upcoming tournament.

So, please post your map of choice and a short explanation why you think it would be fair to include it.

~ M

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#2 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Cool!

There are a few ways to organize this. Is it going to be a random tournament or do you need to announce your faction upon sign-up?

Generally, people see Fords of Isen as the most balanced map, but since I hold a grudge against playing only this map throughout one tournament and like variety, I'm usually in favor of including multiple maps.

It also depends on how many games you play vs each opponent. If you say best of 3, both players should get host 1 time and the 3rd game should be played on neutral host on Fords of Isen. In the first 2 games, host should choose map and offhost should choose spot. In this case, I would allow any map because both players get the chance to select their favorite map. If you only want to play one game (which I highly disadvise), it should be played on neutral host and you should preset the map when setting up the whole tournament. Maps like Fangorn, Westfold, Fords of Isen and Eastern Rohan are fairly symmetrical, so I suggest these maps.

Fangorn - Slightly in favor of FoD (Forces of Darkness), but fair enough to win any match-up.

Westfold - In favor of Forces of Darkness, but gives FoL (Forces of Light) a good chance of winning too.

Eastern Rohan - FoD can win on this map, but it favors FoL.

Fords of Isen - The standard 1vs1 map. Though it seems fairly balanced, Mordor seems the weakest army on this map.

Maps that shouldn't be part of the tournament:

Rohan - Too unbalanced, the host will get both middle farms before the offhost. FoL usually stomps FoD on this map.

Southern Ithilien - Completely imbalanced in terms of settlements and starting positions.

Northern Ithilien - See Southern Ithilien

West-Emnet - FoD usually doesn't stand a chance against FoL on this map. The map is fairly symmetrical, but FoD usually can't defend its starting farms.

Dunharrow - Heavily favors FoD. And I don't like this map.

Also I'd recommend you to livecast some games / the finals. feary and I already said we could do some casts together.

26285.png

#3 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm not that experienced with online play so I couldn't give you a good judgement on appropriate maps but give me a concept for your opinion on a balanced map and I could make it in my spare time. I too would like to play on a map other than Fords of Isen.

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

A custom T3A:Online Tournament map.... that sounds brilliant. A perfect way to combine one of our traditional expertises with our new direction. Great idea. 

I'd love to hear from some T3A:Online players about what they would like to see on a tournament map.

#5 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

A tournament map would be awesome! Yeah.. but I think a project like that will take some time. Why not make a contest sometime? ;)

26285.png

#6 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Great fudge, I am with you :)

That would also include both players and modders/mappers which I highly support. Vote for map contest.
the first competition is probably too soon tho.

Full ack to echos analysis, solid idea with livecast and you already said you can do it :)

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#7 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

Writing from mobile, sorry for double. Echos post can give some ideas what is important.

What a tournament map may include:
-highly symmetric in terms of build spots, pathlength to outside farms, outposts

- even numbered and evenly distributed creeps (wargs etc) or when odd numbered, on a central spot

- map size not too big or too small, Ford's of isen seems to a good example (doesn't/shouldnt have to be exactly)

- decision about extra outposts/castles. There shouldn't be too many.

- look and feel, but I am sure as this is a creative community we won't have trouble with that. The most fair map thinkable would probably be too boring for long term play ;)

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#8 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

Also - a balance in strategic advantages for mobile factions and slower factions. Balanced but interesting, just like your other maps. =D

P.S. Make one that looks nice. - And not too expensive! ;p

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 14 October 2013 - 07:38 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#9 Orange

Orange

BFME Online

• Project Team
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

It must be best of 3 because otherwise it's too much about matchup luck. 

When it is a random tourney I like the rule: Host choose the map, offhost choose the Spot. (we did this before and it worked fine)

Like this every map is fine and we get nice games on different maps with interesting matchups. Noone can argue on this because everyone has the same chances. If there is a thrid game it will be played on Foi or any other map BOTH agree with. ALso there must be a neutral host for the third game except someone doesnt care about host. For the spot the neutral host can flip a coin. 

A tourney like this I would like to join :) 

love is the closest thing to magic
Posted Image
Clanwars Awards: 14x Gold 9x Silver 2x Bronze as Hermione , Gil-galad , Murtagh` and Skyfall

#10 Orange

Orange

BFME Online

• Project Team
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Writing from mobile, sorry for double. Echos post can give some ideas what is important.

What a tournament map may include:
-highly symmetric in terms of build spots, pathlength to outside farms, outposts

- even numbered and evenly distributed creeps (wargs etc) or when odd numbered, on a central spot

- map size not too big or too small, Ford's of isen seems to a good example (doesn't/shouldnt have to be exactly)

- decision about extra outposts/castles. There shouldn't be too many.

- look and feel, but I am sure as this is a creative community we won't have trouble with that. The most fair map thinkable would probably be too boring for long term play ;)

ye I think that's the point. "Fair" maps might be most balanced but are also boring, especially in 1v1. Also you will get a lot of similar strategies and games which are quiet the same. If you include maps which might be not that balanced the strategy aspect is much more relevant. Which pathways? Which BO? Which strategy at all you choose? Not just standard matches like you get them on maps like Foi where you know how the game will go before you even play it. Still we need such maps for a final "balanced" game. That's why I support my tournement Idea i posted above.

love is the closest thing to magic
Posted Image
Clanwars Awards: 14x Gold 9x Silver 2x Bronze as Hermione , Gil-galad , Murtagh` and Skyfall

#11 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

Totally agreed. We could try to expand the standard set of 1v1 maps by one or two maps to get a fresh feel.

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Here's what we have planned so far:

• Every match will be best two out of three.
  • Each player hosts one game, the third is hosted by a neutral host.
  • Onhost picks map (out of a pool we haven't decided on yet), offhost picks spot.
  • Neutral battle takes place on Fords of Isen.
  • We are looking for some dedicated people to help us as neutral hosts (good, stable connection required).
  • There will be awesome rewards for first, second, and third place, including but not necessarily limited to: forum signatures, tournament winner badge that shows underneath forum avatar, a mention in a hall of fame topic, and Steam game codes.
  • If this tournament goes well, we will be hosting more.

#13 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

So will you be needing me for anything then?

#14 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Yes, actually. But maybe not for this first tournament. The idea of future tournaments taking place on custom T3A maps is great, though.

#15 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

There will be new maps in 1.06, right? What do you think about checking some of these maps whether they have competitive potential?

26285.png

#16 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

Last time I checked the changelog I didn't see new 1vs1 maps if I remember correctly. As thorongil knows how much time there is, maybe fudge and others can work towards that. I will try to do some sketches if thats of any help.

#17 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I still have some of Winter maps to offer for BFME 1, simple retextures of the most-played BFME 1 maps.

26285.png

#18 forshire

forshire
  • Members
  • 137 posts
  • Projects:T3A: Online
  •  Walter White

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Cool!

There are a few ways to organize this. Is it going to be a random tournament or do you need to announce your faction upon sign-up?

Generally, people see Fords of Isen as the most balanced map, but since I hold a grudge against playing only this map throughout one tournament and like variety, I'm usually in favor of including multiple maps.

It also depends on how many games you play vs each opponent. If you say best of 3, both players should get host 1 time and the 3rd game should be played on neutral host on Fords of Isen. In the first 2 games, host should choose map and offhost should choose spot. In this case, I would allow any map because both players get the chance to select their favorite map. If you only want to play one game (which I highly disadvise), it should be played on neutral host and you should preset the map when setting up the whole tournament. Maps like Fangorn, Westfold, Fords of Isen and Eastern Rohan are fairly symmetrical, so I suggest these maps.

Fangorn - Slightly in favor of FoD (Forces of Darkness), but fair enough to win any match-up.

Westfold - In favor of Forces of Darkness, but gives FoL (Forces of Light) a good chance of winning too.

Eastern Rohan - FoD can win on this map, but it favors FoL.

Fords of Isen - The standard 1vs1 map. Though it seems fairly balanced, Mordor seems the weakest army on this map.

Maps that shouldn't be part of the tournament:

Rohan - Too unbalanced, the host will get both middle farms before the offhost. FoL usually stomps FoD on this map.

Southern Ithilien - Completely imbalanced in terms of settlements and starting positions.

Northern Ithilien - See Southern Ithilien

West-Emnet - FoD usually doesn't stand a chance against FoL on this map. The map is fairly symmetrical, but FoD usually can't defend its starting farms.

Dunharrow - Heavily favors FoD. And I don't like this map.(also onhost spot has too much advantage)

Also I'd recommend you to livecast some games / the finals. feary and I already said we could do some casts together.

I vote for this.

#19 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Guys you should check out the Anorien map, it's the perfect tournament map in my opinion.

#20 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Firstly, we're talking about 1vs1

Secondly, as discussed in this topic, people want to play on more than one map all the time. Believe me, if there's a 2vs2 map that is played 99% of the time, it's Anorien and I hate it for that. There's so many great 2vs2 maps (Basically all - Black Gate in my opinion) and todays' players usually don't know any of these because they only play Anorien, saying that the others are imbalanced without having played any of these themselves. Sorry, I hate Anorien and I have to express that wherever I can. :xd:

26285.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users