Photo

Crashing on Save and Auto-Save - Game somewhat unplayable

8 replies to this topic

#1 Power Moron 5000

Power Moron 5000
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

System Details: Windows 7 -  8GB Ram -  Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.70GHZ 

Type Of Installation: EAW Gold Boxed

Mods: None.

So i've noticed a rather show-stopping bug in the first campaign (Galaxy Far Away) for the latest version out.  It appears that saving is causing crashes to the desktop.  In fact, I can say that on my end, this is the sole apparent cause of crashes.  Furthermore, from talking to a friend we discovered that it appears to be the root cause of all of his crashes as well.  He just wasn't aware of it since he relies on the auto save system and hadn't paid much attention to what the cause was.

This is most evident when manually saving during a period of high activity on the galaxy map or on tactical battle maps on the ground that are overrun with units.  Doing so during a period where the game is moving slowly seems to almost ensure a crash.

More annoyingly, this bug appears to happen with auto saves too.  Since there is no way to disable auto saving in game that i've found, this means that you're basically rolling the dice to see when the game will crash on you.  Even more annoyingly, rarely it wipes the auto save.

Unfortunately despite how much fun this mod is, it has made my ability to play this mod just about impossible.  I've replayed the last few sieges of different planets maybe a dozen times each before I lucked out and managed to get a working save after them.

I'm not sure if this bug occurs in other campaigns, but it appears to be the case.  I'm trying a number of short term fixes, including trying to find a way to manually disable auto saving and messing with the 64-bit compatibility patch to see if it's an available resources issue but I haven't had much luck so far.  

I'll post here if I can find a fix, but I was wondering if anyone else had any input on the issue?

Edited by Power Moron 5000, 02 November 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#2 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising Maps
  •  Phoenix Rising Mapping Lead

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

We're very aware of the issue with saving and trying to work out a fix. The game really doesn't like the number of units in our mod, especially on large galactic conquest maps.

To stop the game autosaving, go to your Users/<Username>/AppData/Roaming/Petroglyph/Empire at War - Forces of Corruption/Save/ folder and set the slot0.sav file to READ ONLY. This prevents the game from writing an autosave to the file. Warning: while this will decrease battle load times and reduce crashes, it means any other crashes will likely wipe your game unless you save first.

In the meantime, I would suggest playing the smaller campaigns since in general they perform better and are less likely to be afflicted with this particular issue.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#3 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

To stop the game autosaving, go to your Users/<Username>/AppData/Roaming/Petroglyph/Empire at War - Forces of Corruption/Save/ folder and set the slot0.sav file to READ ONLY. This prevents the game from writing an autosave to the file.

Nice idea. i should have found out myself. Thank you! :)

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#4 Guest_mike_*

Guest_mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:13 PM

someone finally mentions the problem I have been having with the game where it crashes seemingly at random

also i have noticed certian planets kill the game as well *forgot which ones but best to check the planets too just for saftys sake*

#5 Guest_Kresteel_*

Guest_Kresteel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

Is there any word on a resolution for this issue and the lag? 

#6 Aizen Teppa

Aizen Teppa
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:51 AM

No and no.

1st No. Sadly it's the problem with game engine. It seems incapable of dealing with expanded AI coding and number of units. It happened to me 100s of times. Unfortunately AI in 1.2 is too fat for EaW engine (well over 30MB IIRC which is I think max for stable operation) to take. It will be trimmed down (together with # of units for 1.3)

2nd No. There is one thing you can do to help. Take scenario files, open in editor and remove all unnecessary rubbish units. It will improve game responsiveness by solid degree - at least in the beginning. If you having problem with AI fighter spam then do the same with fighters. Raise PopCap to whatever you like (personally using 5). Granted it will hamper early expansion for both sides, but you can sell not needed fighters for some credits and free Popcap for capital buildup. And AI will lose it's capacity to spam thousands of fighters which Totally kills the performance.

In general default PR in current state is kind of smash and grab ASAP - unless modded heavily and even then crash is just waiting to happen. If you reach mark of 100 weeks game will work as long as you play, but it will hang 99% after reload. 

Word of advice with regard to saving in OP post. Never under any circumstances attempt to save a game when game gets choppy (AI most likely moving units around). It will fail. Uhm... well PM5000 (interesting nickname lol) don't waste your time with 64bit compatibility patch. Game exe is incapable of addressing more than 2GB of memory anyway. Tried few tricks, game will crash long before reaching that mark, at 1.3GB game is bound to crap-out instantly. To be honest it's miracle that it works on some other systems than XP anyway which is system of choice for stable operation. Heard that Macrocost?! :p

#7 Guest_Kresteel_*

Guest_Kresteel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

After doing some research i found a mod eems to have solved some of the problems. I dont know what they did but check out the stress test they ran. shttp://www.moddb.com...test-3#imagebox

I really like this phoenix mod and I would love to play it. I would be so happy if there were a way to push the engine to do more like these guys did.

#8 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Sith Lord of Campaigns

• Project Team
  • 2,035 posts
  •  Phoenix Rising QA Lead; Manual Editor

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

We have solved a lot of the problems of saving and playing the mod. If you look at the latest 2 news threads you'll see what I mean. 

It's less about the engine and more about campaign management. The game engine has to process the data in the XML's and the campaign files. As we have learned more about how the engine works, we have managed the data setup for the game in terms of XMLs and how the data is compiled. 

This has had significant dividends in game performance. 

#9 Guest_Kresteel_*

Guest_Kresteel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

I can see that. I also want to tell you that of all the mods this one is by far the best! Keep up the good work!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users