Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

Hey Guys,

I wanted to challenge myself by setting a budget of 1700 and this is a build i came up with, this is not a real thing as of yet but what do you think? Where could improvements be made?

Note: Another challenge is color coordination, int this build its black and red and if you have any thoughts then either change all the parts to a different color or not. I know that sounds weird hence why its a challenge

--

The Build thus far: http://pcpartpicker....ame5/saved/4f1j

--

My plan for those wondering is to sell my pc i have now along with the 3d monitor and asus monitor with a few extras included to fund 1700 to be able to purchase a setup which is practically overkill but one i  totally want. So i might be doing a few challenges like this so that i have a few builds i like and approve ready to choose from.

#2 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

And there we have another rig thingy topic.

Nothing is true overkill... You can buy the PC of your dreams but in 2 years it'll be completely obsolete. Let it be overkill. We all deserve some power. Tomorrow it'll be a pony, like mine actually is.

I used to play everything on ultra. Now I'm saddened to see that high and even medium are becoming a recorrent option...

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#3 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

Fair point however as of RIGHT NOW,

a- up to date haswell build that a looks nice inside and out,

b- fantastic cable management

c- can run everything that is out right now (BF4, TitanFall, Skyrim, Minecraft, etc.) I want 3 top of the line gaming monitors because my ps3, ps4 and a few other devices will be connected to the screens. 

Although 3 screens is a bit overkill if someone has a way to stay in the 1700 range by removing a monitor then please do so and upgrade something else.  

#4 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

Is my computer build inspiring you to build a new one for yourself? :p

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#5 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:12 AM

Yes and no, yes because you reminded me of building my first PC and it is a lot of fun and I would like to relive the experience. And no because I was planning tis for awhile, my build now is two years old and when I did build it I didn't understand anything lol but now through extensive research and such I am confident about what parts I am choosing and what I should look for as well as where to get the best price.

I feel like I could make a shit ton of a better build now then the one I did two years ago. Example: hate the motherboard I have now, hate the case I have now, hate the monitors I have now, hate not having cable management etc...

Many factors are playing into this. Yes there can always be more research done but it's also good to get an outside perspective. :)

-- sorry for typos typed on my iPad after midnight.

Nighty night now and I hope to see some good answers to this thread revolving around the actual topic at hand :p

Also one more question to add to the list: 16gb of ram or 8gb of faster ram? Note: I do a shit ton of multitasking.

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

The three screens is really going to hurt you if you plan on gaming using all three. A 760 won't be able to handle three screens very well, and you'll be losing quality, performance, and will have spent more money than you need to.

Here, I made a few suggestions.

http://pcpartpicker....tist/saved/4fK1

First, get 1x 8GB ram stick rather than a 2x 4GB. This way you can just drop in a second for 16GB and not fill your slots. Also, it's cheaper for some reason..

Second, the Samsung 840 series is an absolutely amazing SSD, It's a teeny bit cheaper too, I would recommend the Pro over the EVO, but for prices sake this will fit the bill.

Third, if you are wanting to run multi-monitor, you are going to need juice. It's not overkill out the box, because even with one screen there is a pretty noticeable difference between a 760 and a 780.

Finally, get one of these bad boy monitors. It's 144hz, so when you push your frames up into the 80+ range, you will see and feel all the buttery goodness you would not see on a 60hz monitor. It costs more, and there is only one for now.

I say, you should do something along this line. It will cost you less off the gate, but you can just save your pennies for a little while longer and pop two more of these screens on there to have a monster setup. Or, you could go a bit cheaper and just add two of the BenQ monitors, you will just have a gap in Hz ratings. (unless you set the Asus to 60hz also *hint*)

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#7 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Maybe we should rename these topics to everyone has more money than Rad for computer parts.

My PC budget was about $600 and that was a lot for me, oh well when it works it'll be good enough.

I couldn't imagine spending that much on a computer there'd be a point where it becomes pointless and I think that point as when it surpasses what games can do chances are we're probably close to the peak in terms of game graphics and performance needs.

Maybe it's a more visible and physical version of Epeen.

Edited by Radspakr, 03 April 2014 - 10:21 AM.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

For me, it's not a matter of being able to play things, I'm an enthusiast. I like to get really good performance, and a high FPS with ultra smooth performance. 

Think of it this way, if you're using a 60Hz monitor, then anything more than $1000 is wasted, because you will not actually see any difference at all. I like my games to run 80+ FPS, some games well over 100, the heavier games, 70-80. With the setup I run, I can see every additional frame. 

It's like cars. You can just have a car that does the job, or you can spend lots of money on your hobby to build a car that is custom and fast. It still gets you from point A to point B like any other car, but it also fuels personal desires more than a standard car would. :p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

@kwen, interesting proposal. I do need 2 monitors no matter what're by the way, I want the benQs because they are used by MLG players and the 1ms response time + the nice settings you can tweak makes it a top notch monitor geared towards straight up gaming. I also feel like 260 bucks for a monitor is way way to much, I can understand why but I don't think I need that one if I mostly do console gaming except for the occasional PC gaming + recording.

What I need the computer to do:

Website design (2 monitors are great for this)
Photoshop
Gaming + recording (2 monitors ideal, only need to use 1 for the actual game, same if I had 3.)
I game on ps3, ps4 and xbox 360

--
I noticed I think it was on amazon that 2 of those msi run better together then 2 gtx titans which is pretty insane to say but if that's the truth then I'll get two monitors and then save a bit and get a third + another one of those cards to do sli.
--
Also, I don't plan I doing anything like eyefinity and I only really need a powerful video card for a single monitor.
--
the RAM. It's cheaper because combo discount make it 20 bucks less typically I believe a single stick costs more, and don't you no matter what have to fill 2 dimms when doing ram? Else the computer won't work?
--
That graphics card is almost double the price and is barely better at rendering videos, as for games I would be getting an extra 30fps which I guess would be pretty sweet.
--
The corsair ssd is cheaper by 10 bucks, I dislike the evo series, have that exact one now and compared to he pro series one I have at school it sucks, only way in hell I would go with Samsung again is if it's pro but link you said it costs more, maybe I should break out a little extra cash for it.
--
Finally after all of that what if instead of 1,700 it was 1900?

Then what would change, same monitors you chose before? What? Let me know :p
When I say I don't want something that doesn't mean I can't be talked into it, anyways of you recommend the same kind of thing please go I I more detail as to what the differences would be. I want to be completely certain I will be getting top notch performance for the price. My requires though are this:

2-3 monitors
Cable management
Color management (red and black for this) or suggest a new build with a different scheme
At least 8gb of solid RAM
At least 2gb graphics card that can run anything I throw at it

Sorry for misspells and typos, posted from my iPhone

#10 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Well the reason I suggested the setup I did was based on pure gaming, which is what the title suggests. :p

Also, the Asus monitor is also 1ms response time, it is one of the (if not the) highest rated 1080 gaming screens available. The cost really comes down to what you can see, the extra hertz puts you at an advantage over others because you see movements and actions more fluidly. 

Have you ever used a 120hz or 144hz monitor? :p Once you do, there is no going back . ;)

As for the RAM, I might be wrong.. but I never heard that having just a single stick would cause a computer to not work. But I have always had multiple, so I could just be ignorant in that matter.

The card was chosen on the mindset of raw gaming performance, and the ability to handle multi-monitor gaming like a champ. I assumed you would want to stretch your game to the other screens. If it just a single screen, then yes a 760 will fit the bill.

The SSD really just comes down to your preference. I still recommend the 840 series even though the EVO isn't nearly as good as the Pro.

Honestly, your setup is fine. I was merely proposing an alternative with more hardcore gaming in mind. :p

#11 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Would the hertz for the monitor transfer to console gaming as well? If it is then could you help me research a 144hz 1ms monitor closer to the 200 limit? Then I might get two of those.

#12 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

Console gaming, no. Console games do not run at high enough FPS to notice anything past 60hz.

As far as other 120hz or 144hz screens go, the Asus screen is the cheapest you can find with good quality I believe. 

You could just grab one or your BenQ monitors as the second, and that will still hit you right around your 1700 mark.

As I said, it really comes down to your preference, for PC gaming I would never use anything other than a 120hz or 144hz monitor. For console gaming or regular day to day things, there is no need for it.

#13 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Interesting, alright well i took into consideration the things you said and here is the next build i came up with http://pcpartpicker....ame5/saved/4f1j

#14 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

BluRay drive, drop that 780 to a 770, extra hard drives (if you didn't plan on that already) and try to go with a fully modular PSU. Cable management is beastly. You may also consider an ATX full tower instead of mid tower. The 650D is great, don't get me wrong but if cable management is your thing, full towers are the best.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#15 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

BluRay Drive is completely useless to me, i have a ps3 and ps4?

I already have plenty of hard drives. A modular 700-750 watt fully modular psu with haswell support that isnt more then 200 i can not find a good one that goes with the colors. 

I will look into a full tower tonight :) Good idea on that.

#16 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Optical storage for long term solutions. Can't do that on a PS3 or 4.

It doesn't need to say "Haswell support" for it to work. The power supply just modulates the power flow and converts it for use. As long as the connectors match (IE; 24/20+4 pin mains, 8/4+4 pin CPU power, etc), you're good to go. The PSU I have doesn't say "Sandy Bridge support" but it works just fine. I have a SeaSonic X-650 Gold. This should suit you fine though. It's black, fully modular and under $200.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#17 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

I say stick with the 780. Yeah the price tag hurts, but for the extra oomph and better lifespan (especially on multi-monitor) it's worth it if you're not penny pinching. Everything else I agree with.

#18 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Alright I'll try and go fully modular. Will look at then later today

#19 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Alright i found one, thoughts? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139055

#20 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

That is literally the same one I linked earlier...

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users