• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hello everyone!

I think it's time to upgrade my GPU in order to be able to run the next-gen games.

So I'm actually looking for advices over this subject.

My current rig is a GTX 590, 8gb RAM, i7 2600.

For next-gen I believe I only need to change the GPU, right?

I'm quite lost here and with a limited budget.

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#2 FALLEN

FALLEN
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

I have core i5 and GTX570 and I feel fine :evgr:

f4llen.png

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Intel?  Hmm... I dunno if I would recommend one, but I've never seen an i5 in action.  

#4 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

I would recommend a 780 and if your havent upgraded your cpu in a while upgrade that to a higher end model. other then that 8gb of ram should be fine.

#5 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Question is price range. There are hundreds of options, it's not easy to recommend just a make and model without a better understanding of what you want.

Do you want to meet the current and near-future market, or do you want to future proof for a long time. Are there any specific features you want? 

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#6 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Nvidia often gives you a free game with a new card. I got a GTX 770 a while ago with Assasin's Creed 4, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Batman: Arkham Origins. They're currently offering Watch Dogs.

(I'm assuming the offers are the same world wide, but that might not be true).

bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Not only does NVIDIA offer a free game, it's always the best option.  Like a blazing NVIDIA Titian, fresh from the 4-digit winner market.  AMD is also really good, but they keep having a risk of going out of business and having weird competitive issues... why bother?  NVIDIAs are just as cheap and just as good, if not better.  Just without the market drama.

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

It's not a matter of gimmicks, it's a matter of what do YOU want out of what YOU can afford. The appropriate card can be supplied based on those two things alone.

Edited by Kwen, 02 July 2014 - 10:15 PM.
typo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Gen is a doctor of means and worth with more cash than the Vegas Mafia.  I think he needs and wants 2 NVIDIA Titans.

#10 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Nah, Titan Z is the way to go.

#11 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

I actually have a very limited budget.

Here on Brazil things are twice more expensive. But yeah, I'm whilling to make an investment that makes me able to play the next-gen games in high quality. And Nvidia titan alone here is R$5000,00. So it's a nono.

Would a new processor (and motherboard) also be needed?

#12 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

Limited budget, smugited budget.  

Your mother board is probably fine.  It depends on the hardware you want.  Some older models don't support certain newer inputs.  But a new processor is probably smart.  A good, cheap one isn't hard to find.  

#13 HeadClot88

HeadClot88
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Projects:Unannounced UE4 Project

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

What is your budget in USD?

http://pcpartpicker.com/

If you are going with the latest haswell Refresh (Intel's Newest Chipset) then be prepared to spend money.

But your current processor looks fine. 

Video Card - I would recommend 760 GTX or 780 GTX if you want to get the latest and greatest games and play them on high :)

As for RAM upgrade it to atleast 16 GB DDR3.

Let me know if you need any further help :)

- HeadClot

#14 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the input!

I actually never did SLI and I'm quite curious... Is it better to buy a single good card or 2 average ones? I mean, one 780GTX is almost the same price as two 760GTX...

#15 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

16GB would be pushing it unless your running multiple games and or applications at once that would be the only real reason to get 16gb.

The latest haswell refresh i would say hold off on until broadwell is released later this year and just skip haswell. 

SLI is so you can get same framerate on two or more monitors basically so i would say if your not doing triple monitor gaming just go for the gtx 780 and you will be set for ages.

anandtech.com has a very good benchmark system so check it out if you want to see the benching system on multiple programs and games etc.

#16 HeadClot88

HeadClot88
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Projects:Unannounced UE4 Project

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

16GB would be pushing it unless your running multiple games and or applications at once that would be the only real reason to get 16gb.

The latest haswell refresh i would say hold off on until broadwell is released later this year and just skip haswell. 

SLI is so you can get same framerate on two or more monitors basically so i would say if your not doing triple monitor gaming just go for the gtx 780 and you will be set for ages.

anandtech.com has a very good benchmark system so check it out if you want to see the benching system on multiple programs and games etc.

The reason why I am recommending 16 GB Ram is 8 GB is the minimum for Games such as Star Citizen and Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I would highly recommend upping your ram to 16GB. 

Just my 2 Cents though.

#17 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

It's always better to get one good card over two lesser cards. You could look into one of the newer 6GB 780s, that will net you amazing performance and enough VRAM to slug through anything for years. If you went with two 760s you might get a little bit better performance in most games, but some games do not have any SLI profiles, so you'd only be using one card on that particular game. And contrary to belief when you have two cards the VRAM does not stack, so you're only getting half of the VRAM you paid for.

Stick out that i7 2600, no need to upgrade that just yet. Wait for Broadwell.

#18 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Would a new processor (and motherboard) also be needed?

Not likely. The only snag might possibly be if you only have PCI Express 2.0 or 2.1 on your mainboard. If you have 3.0, you should be fine with the mainboard you have now. Considering you have a 590, I wouldn't even bother. Though, if you do upgrade, stick with a 2GB card since going up to 4GB won't yield useful results, nor warrant the price. In short, upgrading won't be worth it. My GTX460 is still holding on so... yeah.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#19 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

Hello everyone!

I think it's time to upgrade my GPU in order to be able to run the next-gen games.
So I'm actually looking for advices over this subject.

My current rig is a GTX 590, 8gb RAM, i7 2600.

For next-gen I believe I only need to change the GPU, right?

I'm quite lost here and with a limited budget.

Honestly, you have a hell of a computer. You don't need to improve it if you wanna play the next generation games for the next 5 years. If you still insist that you need to improve something, buy more RAM (32 gb should be enough).

Your GPU is better than a GeForce 760 GTX (reference). GeForce Titan has FXAA and TXAA and, of course, much more computational power. In terms of gaming supports, both GPUs will support the same games. But honestly, this change is unnecessary and it would be only worth to tell your friends that you have a machine could do realistic simulations of atomic bombs at home.

And I can tell you more: you'd better wait for Series 800 for full DirectX 12 and Direct3D 12 support.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#20 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

A Titan, has not been, nor will it be, worth the price point. There's no point in sinking that much into one part. Unless you run it in SLI with a three monitor setup running 1440p with everything spanned across each screen, there's no reason. Also, bigger numbers does not mean better... or cost effective. A 760 would have the same effect for a single GPU setup running at 1080p. A 770 only really warrants a buy if you want to roll at resolutions higher than 1200p.

Just as a quick aside, any nVidia card can run FXAA and only Kepler GPUs (thus far) have TXAA capabilities. Even still, nVidia is updating their drivers to work with DX12 and Direct3D 12 for any DX11 based card already out there. Should include the 590 and probably my 460.

So. Yeah. Helps to know what you're talking about, Bansh.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users