Photo

Is the plot supposed to be serious or campy?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:33 AM

IMO the tone of the plot summaries in the campaign (and the unit and faction bios on the website) sounds more serious than the original RA2 (which was more like an "action comedy" film). Is the plot and setting in MO meant to be slightly more serious than the original game (more like the tone of the Tiberium games than the Red Alert games)? Just curious.

#2 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts
  •  Mentalmeister - Random Annoying Guy

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

Not sure what you mean with "campy"... But yes, overall the MO plotline is, overall, darker and more serious than Red Alert 2.

Edited by Black/Brunez, 22 October 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#3 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:38 PM

Cue "If the tone of MO is supposed to be more serious, why is there a unit which uses quotes from Pokemon?".

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#4 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Or loli scientists with pinky hair in the Centurion  in the middle of the battlefield.

Okay...

#5 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

Cue "If the tone of MO is supposed to be more serious, why is there a unit which uses quotes from Pokemon?".

Nope point missed entirely bro - unit voices aren't canon obviously.

Though seriously, why is there?

Or loli scientists with pinky hair in the Centurion  in the middle of the battlefield.

Okay...

What's sexual about the Yunru unit? I must've missed that. That's what "loli" means.

Edited by Colonel Angus, 22 October 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#6 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

But they are canon. Example: Yunru says "But I'm only seventeen" because she is seventeen.

The line is there because I wrote it down in the script and someone recorded it, obviously.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#7 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

But they are canon. Example: Yunru says "But I'm only seventeen" because she is seventeen.

Typically unit voices aren't thought of as "canon" as far as the plot goes. Unless you're saying that in MO universe every Hailstorm pilot literally yells out internet memes right when he's about to strike his target.

Or that when Allies capture some Soviet tanks, the tank pilots suddenly develop Russian accents.

The line is there because I wrote it down in the script and someone recorded it, obviously.

It's actually not obvious, seeing as the mod offered fans an opportunity to voice a unit - this could have meant they were allowed to pick their own lines, versus you having hand-picked every one of them before hand. (But apparently not).

Edited by Colonel Angus, 22 October 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#8 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

No, team & testers suggested lines for the script, I picked the lines for units I liked and added some of mine, and then people could choose which unit they'd like to voice, not which lines to pick.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#9 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

Voiceactors could come up with additional lines tho - see Oxidizer, Libra and some others as examples.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#10 DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

title available

• Banned
  • 589 posts
  •  Mr. Socialite!

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:55 PM

It is serious. There is a psychic dominator (or psychic something) in the vatican. Now THATs fucken serious, and true to real life :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

>:D

#11 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

If serious has to mean "realistic" and "true to real life", then surely good horrors like Alien or The Thing are actually comedies?

Also, before you say "there's Mind Control, Tesla, Laser Beams, and Teleportation! it can't be serious!", look what EA did to RA3. This is what you get when you follow that mindset (and then people complained why RA3 is so cartoony...).

Edited by mevitar, 23 October 2014 - 02:02 PM.

ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#12 Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

It is serious. There is a psychic dominator (or psychic something) in the vatican. Now THATs fucken serious, and true to real life :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :

> :D

Serious =/= "realistic". Think James Bond vs Austin Powers. The Bond film Skyfall isn't extremely realistic but the plot is still meant to be taken seriously. But Austin Powers in Goldmember isn't meant to be serious at all.

(Or just any game in the Tiberium series for that matter. Nothing "realistic" about Tiberium or any of the factions' units - but the plot's still meant to be taken serious rather than laughed at).

This is a no-brainer so I shouldn't really have to point this out to you.

If serious has to mean "realistic" and "true to real life", then surely good horrors like Alien or The Thing are actually comedies?

Also, before you say "there's Mind Control, Tesla, Laser Beams, and Teleportation! it can't be serious!", look what EA did to RA3. This is what you get when you follow that mindset (and then people complained why RA3 is so cartoony...). 

^--This

Edited by Colonel Angus, 23 October 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#13 DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

title available

• Banned
  • 589 posts
  •  Mr. Socialite!

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

You pointing shit out to me? You pointing shit out, to ME?

I fucken take this seriously, man

I hate the vatican.... seriously. So we got a serious drama political war power play thang going on in MO's story, plus at least one realistic facet of life present - the vatican mind controlling the masses. Its perfect, hence my smiley faces.

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr, 24 October 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#14 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

And don´t  make this thread a religious or atheistic senseless insultive rant thread, fellas :p

#15 DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

title available

• Banned
  • 589 posts
  •  Mr. Socialite!

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Aw come on bro, you jumping the gun. I aint insulting, nor ranting, well maybe just a tad. TO ANSWER THE OP's QUESTION:

This is a serious campaign, with good power play going on. All factions seeking to dominate, especially Yuri.

The only campyness would be some of the unit dialogue. Like the Pyro's death scream.

#16 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

Aw come on bro, you jumping the gun. I aint insulting, nor ranting, well maybe just a tad. TO ANSWER THE OP's QUESTION:

Nah, no worries. i was just setting the sandbags in case of something like that started on this thread. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users