Photo

Trouble logging in

Best Answer Phil, 17 November 2014 - 10:00 AM

Honestly, I don't think you can get the launcher to work under OS X; it just needs too many low-level Windows functions to work. As Toxic said, BootCamp and the Windows version would be an option.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FBSIFIH

FBSIFIH
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:35 AM

Hello, I need some help:

I am playing on a macbook and I used wineskin to play the game. It took me quite a while to figure it all out and install stuff properly and patched, but now that I have both the game and C&C online installed, I cant log in. It gives a notion that says "cannot connect to backend server". Is there anyone with some insight in this who can help me?

Also, I would have uploaded an error log, but I havent got the slightest idea what it is and where to find it. If it could be of any help, please help me to help you help me by giving me instructions on where to get this log.

Thanks!

#2 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  • Projects:Shatabrick C&C Player Database
  •  I have blue text?
  • Division:C&C:Online
  • Job:C&C:Online Leader

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

I've no idea where wine would have put that. Can you search for it? It's called CNCOnline_Log.txt

Gamereplays.org staff - Shatabrick admin.

#3 FBSIFIH

FBSIFIH
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

I've found the log file. It says:

----- C&C:Online Launcher Start -----
Game: Red Alert 3
Red Alert 3 Install Path: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Red Alert 3\
Started game with: "RA3.exe "
Caught CREATE_PROCESS_DEBUG_EVENT from Red Alert 3. Detaching...
ERROR: game.dat process not found.

#4 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

OK.  It's good that you found the log, at least.  It's showing me that your game did not patch, so you were trying to connect to GameSpy and not CCO.   That is why you got that error message.

I think we are going to be a bit lost with your Mac set up in here, I'm afraid.   Could you try this for me though:

1. Launch RA3 from the launcher but don't try to log in.

2. Get back to the launcher again and hit RA3 again.    If it's behaving like it would in Windows, it should then just re-open the same instance of RA3. 

3.  Try to log in from there.

I am hoping that that will allow your game to patch properly.   Can you let me know?

#5 FBSIFIH

FBSIFIH
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

I am not sure if I am trying correctly what you suggest: I started C&C online, hit the RA3 button and tried to do this again while RA3 was running. If this was what you suggested, it does not work since I can't use the C&C online menu while the game is running. If this was not what you suggested, please explain in more laymans terms (I am quite a 'noob' at using a computer in this way).

Also, would you be so kind to explain how to install the patch manually? This might be mighty helpful if the patch is not installed correctly. I think it ought be on the online support forum but I am a bit of lost here, so if I am asking it redundantly please help me where to find it. 

I feel like a toddler :huh:  could you tie my shoelaces as well ;)

#6 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

Believe me, I've never even seen a MacBook in action, so you will have to help me.   Once you have launched the game, is there really no way to get back to the launcher or desk top?

That is what you need to be doing so you can hit RA3 again.    That is what "patches" the game.   It can't be done "manually"- it has to be done while the game is running.

#7 FBSIFIH

FBSIFIH
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Alright, I guess patching is something different than I thought; I hoped I could just install some patch file somewhere.

As for the method you suggested: I tried to launch the game from the launcher while RA3 was running already but it is just not possible to click on the button in the launcher; it is 'already pressed' (showed with a dotted black line and shades around the inner edges of the button). So I can go back to the desktop and launcher while ingame, but I can't start the game again while it is running. Would you know a way around this, or is this an apple idiosyncrasy?

#8 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

The idea is not to start the game again.  The idea is, on the second click, the launcher does it's work with the already loaded game.    Did you try that to see if it let you get online?

#9 FBSIFIH

FBSIFIH
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Well, that is kind of the problem; as I previously mentioned, I can't click on the button. It is unclickable, it is pressed already. I can see the button but it is just not working (I guess because RA3 is already running, if I quit the game the button becomes clickable once more).

#10 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

Well, that is kind of the problem; as I previously mentioned, I can't click on the button. It is unclickable, it is pressed already. I can see the button but it is just not working (I guess because RA3 is already running, if I quit the game the button becomes clickable once more).

Hmmm, that does not happen in windows. Can you start another instance of the Launcher?

#11 FBSIFIH

FBSIFIH
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

That does not seem to work either, I'm afraid.

#12 ToxicShock

ToxicShock

Gamereplays.org Staff

• Division Leaders
  • 9,685 posts
  •  I have blue text?

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:19 AM

That does not seem to work either, I'm afraid.

I don't think we have any Mac experts around here to help you. The launcher would behave differently in Windows. You could try BootCamp?

#13 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:00 AM   Best Answer

Honestly, I don't think you can get the launcher to work under OS X; it just needs too many low-level Windows functions to work. As Toxic said, BootCamp and the Windows version would be an option.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users