• 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hey folks,

I require some assistance. My custom map rebels against me, or rather, against my mod. Some time ago I put a lot of effort into creating a map for my modification. I used a lot of new objects and scripts, and it used to work fine. The map does NOT have a map.ini. Now, whenever I try to load up the map in-game, I get a game.dat crash at 30%. Game.dat crashes unfortunately do not tell why the game crashed, so I investigated. The map is loadable in worldbuilder. The map is editable and doesn't crash upon saving or anything. The map loads up perfectly with vanilla despite all the scripts referring to mod stuff and despite all the missing objects. I'm using the regular 1.06 as a base, and obviously the 1.03/1.05 game.dat. I have no idea why it's crashing when playing with my mod. Has anyone experienced similar issues, and how did you fix them?

Hope someone can help me :good:

Echo

26285.png

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

When did it stop working? If you know that, you can backtrack and undo changes until it works again, and then you'll know what caused it.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

When did it stop working? If you know that, you can backtrack and undo changes until it works again, and then you'll know what caused it.

Unfortunately, I have not really looked into this map for 1 or 2 months or even longer, so there's no chance for me to backtrack this. :|

26285.png

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

More than likely you have some scripts pointing to obsolete things in the mod which cause it to crash. You may have to open in in vanilla and carefully scrub through it to eliminate anything that may not exist in the mod anymore.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#5 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

Why does it load in vanilla, then? If some obsolete stuff caused the crash, shouldn't it also crush when playing vanilla? I checked the scripts and everything there seems fine..

26285.png

#6 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

Nevermind - I fixed it. After disassembling all scripts and objects one after another, I found that a building referred to an upgrade and a special power that I had wiped a couple weeks ago. :good:

One more question I have, whilst we're at it... does anyone know why EA's Moria Campaign objects have so much more detail? See below what I mean:

Mine:

Spoiler

EA's:

Spoiler

Edited by Echo, 18 December 2014 - 03:36 AM.

26285.png

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

What do you mean in terms of yours and EA's? Is that the difference between in game and in Worldbuilder?

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:24 PM

That is the difference between EA's Moria Campaign version and my custom map. I just took the screenshot from worldbuilder because it was faster than starting the good campaign.

26285.png

#9 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

I couldn't tell you why exactly it would launch in vanilla, but I suspected and you confirmed it, that there would be indeed something pointing to an obsolete bit of code. :p

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#10 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:46 AM

If you want that effect from Vanilla Moria on your map, go to edit, global light options, and uncheck the option "Enable 2x Overbright Lightning". Tadaaa!

#11 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:17 AM

Awesome, thank you :good: