• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankdavid

frankdavid
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to connect to Red Alert 3 via C&C Online on a Mac. I'm using Wine 1.6 for emulation, installed cnconline.exe, and everything works fine, except that when I start Red Alert from cnconline.exe and try to go online, I get the 'Could not connect to backend' error. I suppose, the hack that cnconline.exe does, does not work within Wine.

Could anybody explain to me what cnconline.exe exactly does, so I can do it manually to connect to Revora from Wine. Did anybody succeed to connect from Mac?

Thank you very much

#2 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid the functions it uses are a bit too low-level for it to work on Wine. Basically what the launcher does is hijack DNS resolution calls and patch a certificate public key in the memory of the running game process. You could work around the first one with the hosts file, but the second is a bit harder. Maybe if you can upload your ra_something.game file I could try patching the key on disk instead.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#3 frankdavid

frankdavid
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:15 AM

I was also thinking about modifying the hosts file but I couldn't find the exact records that need to be added.

As for the game file: is the 1.12 version sufficient? I uploaded it to here: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Thank you for the help.

#4 frankdavid

frankdavid
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Is there any update on this?

#5 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:50 PM

I'm afraid you will have to wait until Phil is ready to do it, he is busy at the moment.

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#6 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:35 PM