#1 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Seems like a long shot but is there anybody here who plays Dragon Age Inquisition?

I simply love the game and fought maybe is there someone else here playing it, might go for a co-op game. :p

Edited by Valaquenta10, 05 January 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

It's not as garbage as the second game, yet still, not quite as good as the first.  Fun stuff to do just seems to die down half-way through the game, as is Bioware's new policy, so that's not the best.  And worst of all... I have to download Origin to play it.  Deal breaker, I'm afraid.  I wouldn't mind playing it, but EA's prices are ungodly stupid for way too long, and I just hate playing games on Origin.  Something needs to happen with that.

#3 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

It took me about 90 hours to play though it. Didn't have any quests left to do at that point. It was quite fun and enjoyable, although it did die down a bit half-way through, as Pasidon says. The first half kept me interested enough to want to play it again later with a different character, but since I basically did like 95% of all the possible quests (bar the randomly generated ones), I don't really see it happening any time soon. Which is weird, since I played both DA:O and DA2 a couple of times each just after I finished them. Then again, I didn't do "everything" and spend 90 hours in a single save either, which might explain a lot.

I did pay 399 NOK for a physical copy of the game, while the Origins version cost 499 NOK, so their pricing policy is quite crap. About as bad as Activision on Steam, if not worse. Playing through Origin does not bother me though. It's worse than Uplay, and a lot worse than Steam, but I like having my games connected to my account.

This doesn't really need to be in The Green Dragon though.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#4 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

I have spent 80 hours and still had a region I did not fully explore, I guess that was my limit I could spend in a game. The overall game was really exciting, and as you guys said before it does cut a bit of the action half-way through and I think the side quests are a bit dull and repetitive and too many to have an impact on the rest of the story.

I think is not fair at all to compare DA:I with DA:O, totally different games. DA:O had such an amazing story and cool choices but the combat was simply broken and that game had a lot of fights and very very very few exploring areas (except the Deep Roads maybe). DA:I has a story that is not that far from DA:O but the combat is just smart, and they made it much more tactic-wise since they removed healers and infinite potions. Much more fluid moves with decent mana/stamina regeneration, not giving 3 skills before you're out and simply watch your character how he throws a basic attack once a minute. Some call the combat trivial, well, I killed all the 10 dragons in the game on medium, it was not easy at all. If you are 7 levels over the mob yeah it does gets easy.

The biggest letdown of this game is the AI management, you can't do tactics and such making it very painful to control your chars. Simply put you have to pause and control every move of the party... yes very painful.

#5 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

DA:I has a story that is not that far from DA:O but the combat is just smart, and they made it much more tactic-wise since they removed healers and infinite potions.

The biggest letdown of this game is the AI management, you can't do tactics and such making it very painful to control your chars.

Well... I wouldn't say that it became more tactical, just because they removed the healing and infinite potions. It's more aligned to your second opinion, it got dulled down. A lot. I really missed the ability to set tactics for different situations. Nearby mage? Mana Clash! Meet a tough opponent? Death Hex\Paralyze\Curse of Mortality\Crushing Prison! Oh, and all those missing spells! They removed a lot for DA2, but in terms of spells (at least Mage spells), DA:O was the shit. There was so much variety, while in DA:I you basically have Ice, Fire, Lightning, Barrier and Necromancer\Knight-Enchanter\Rift Mage. So bad!

DA:O had such an amazing story and cool choices but the combat was simply broken and that game had a lot of fights and very very very few exploring areas (except the Deep Roads maybe).Much more fluid moves with decent mana/stamina regeneration, not giving 3 skills before you're out and simply watch your character how he throws a basic attack once a minute. Some call the combat trivial, well, I killed all the 10 dragons in the game on medium, it was not easy at all. If you are 7 levels over the mob yeah it does gets easy.

The combat was a lot more boring and straight-forward in DA:I, than in DA:O. Spam the buttons, cast a spell, spam attack until you can cast a spell. It's not really about being easy or not, it's more about having fun while doing it. I killed all the dragons as well, but it was simply a matter of holding out, and spamming the good spells when you had the chance.

Oh, and what the hell did they decide to keep a spell cap\inventory block for?!

"Look, an Ice Dragon! Let me use this, in-most-situations-useless-but-now-very-potent, Fire Spell... Shit, I forgot to remember the words before I started the fight.. I know the spell, but there's not way I'm going to remember how it's cast now!"

"Oh, I'm fighting that dragon! Shit, it's Fire Resistant.. Too bad I walked into the fight with my Fire Staff, because there's no way I've got time to equip my Ice Staff now!"

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#6 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

I still don't agree on the combat. The mage was the only non-painful class to play in DA:O (and dual-wield rogue), so your are pretty subjective since all the spells you miss are indeed mage spells ( :p). And yes mages did have a long range of skills they could tackle (and a long range for skills), but you could cast heal every 5 seconds which made the game pretty straight forward. Put the tank, taunt some shit, heal it while your rouge dps the shit out of them, or your mage. Also if you had decent willpower you could just never be manaless before the end of a battle. This is standard RPG system yet for mele classes fatigue factor was just bollocks, not to mention it took the character some seconds to position before he had to hit anything (and the mages had AOE skills, the others ... well you get the point). I personally hated this, the story itself was too action-packed for slow battles.

What I think they did is balanced the classes, they made mages less super-men and added some to the others, and it was intended to be less slow and more fun. As far as I played the shield and sword warrior is almost un-killable. YAY! For me it was something fresh, I really waited for this to happen and I think they really did a good job. Also I don't want to compare DA:O with DA:I (even if I just did just for people to understand) for the same  reasons I stated above. I love both games and both have ups and downs. I'm not talking about DA:II cause IMO it was shit and it was so booring I couldn't even finish it.

Well, I'm glad I took that off my chest. :p

Edited by Valaquenta10, 05 January 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:44 AM

I think is not fair at all to compare DA:I with DA:O, totally different games. 

It's a continuation of the story and a physical successor, gameplay and lore-wise.  It's 110% fair.  I'm always forced to ask, "What the devil is Bioware doing??" and I can never tell.  DA 2 and ME 3 almost seemed impossible to screw up, when looking at their former games... they did.  DA Inquisition nearly falls into the same category.  Just nearly.  It was one more rift closing mission away from being the most repetitive game since Assassin's Creed 3.  I think the issue with it is that they made a good game (about 7 years too late) but they forgot to make a fun game.  But if you two played for more than 60 hours without capitulating, then it was mostly a success, so there's not way too much to complain aboot.

#8 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

I've only played DA:I as a mage, so it's hard to find 'missing' warrior\rogue skills on the spot. I upgraded my party manually, but I didn't pay too much attention.

Anyways, I did enjoy both games quite a lot. I even enjoyed DA2 quite a bit, despite it's many flaws. I played DA:Origins again last summer, for like the 5th time, and DA2 again after that for the 4th time. DA:O held up pretty good, but DA2 lost it's charm. It's unlikely I'll every play DA2 again, but DA:O is always ready to give me a good time.

Btw, what race and class were you in DA:I? I was a Dalish Elven Mage, but didn't really get the feeling that my play-through would be much different by being another race.. Me being an elf was only referenced like a handful of times..

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

I was a Dwarf Rouge in the first.  Other than a queer, "you're not as tall as I expected" joke hurled my way, I don't think my race mattered all that much.  Well... other than the mission through the main Dwarfish city. Your racial home missions were probably radically changed, but it's hard to tell how much else race changed.

#10 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

I played Dalish Rouge with bow, Human Warrior Two-handed male and female ( yes it does make somewhat a difference throughout the story). Race is irrelevant beyond the prologue it is true, except for some mini parts in the dialogue but nothing major. I finished the game 3 or 4 times and yes I would do it again given the time.

Edit: Above was for DA:O. In DA:I I played human warrior with shield. Thinking to try a dalish bowman.

I am also eager to play DA:I again. A letdown is that it is level dependent unlike DA:O so it does make it harder to rush through the story.

Edited by Valaquenta10, 07 January 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#11 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

Are you talking about DA:O or DA:I? I know there's quite a bit of differences in DA:O, but besides the occasional "Oh, the Herald of Andraste is an Elf! Maybe the Exalted March was wrong!", there wasn't much racial-reference.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#12 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Edited. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic