• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

2751243-trailer_grimfandango_remastered_

Grim Fandango Remastered is a "remake (?)" of the 1996 point-and-click adventure, Grim Fandango, by Lucas Arts and Tim Schafer.  The trailer and promotions explain that it has kept the art that everyone loves and remembers, but it looks, sounds, and controls better.  Bull... farg'in... horse... nonsense.  I've been playing it since I expected wonders, and I loved me some of the original game.  A game that is extremely outdated for many reasons today, but is still fun.  But... when one sees the word "remastered", one expects the game to reach modern standards.  This does not.

It looks better... BARELY.  In the game, you have the ability to press a button and look at how the game used to look.  Every time I have done that, it turns into a game of Eye Spy since I can't tell the difference at all.  All they did was pretty much make the character models less jagged and better shadow effects, exclusively on the models.  End of improvements.  The rest of the game still looks hideously outdated, especially the Petrified Forest.  Those flame beavers... still stupid.  Some of the background art is quite nice, but that still remains as "some."  Also... Gloddus.  In the original, he was an undefinable abomination of orange geometry, and guess what... he still is.  What an awful model...

a35603b1052dba8dd94487ef3370b67305562de5

Yes... this is truly Remastered...

It sounds better... in what way?  All of these sound assets sound the same.There may be a slight difference.

It controls better... No.  Well... yes.  This is the only improvement worth mentioning.  The game now has mouse controls.  Amen, sister... amiright?  Not at all.  The original was a bit awkward on the old keyboard, but at least it was functional.  I have never seen a point-and-click game so horribly buggy, based on the premise of pointing and clicking.  One section at the start is completely broken, and you can't get to an entirely different section because of the new controls.   And it's confusing, which doesn't help.

I haven't even mentioned the rest of the terrible nonsense.  Character models disappearing... animations are still outdated as sin... animations disappearing...  weird dialogue delays... none of this was an issue in 1996.  So good old Tim Schafer and his Lucas Farts (tips are always welcome) buddies got together and spent an entire afternoon destroying this game and remarketing it for 15 dollars, or however much they decided to rip you off for in your stupid country.  Do not get this... just buy the original version.  If you get passed the keyboard controls, you'll actually enjoy it.  Remastered... what a joke.  It's almost... ALMOST as stupid as The Last of Us, and how they decided to "remaster" it the same year it was released.  Schafer is a money grubbing moron... he made Monkey Island remastered a game of worth, so why did he get lazy here?  The prick...

#2 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

Well that's disappointing. I was looking forward to this one. Maybe I'll get it when it goes on sale.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Hopefully they have it patched by then as well.  Then again, I don't think Tim Schafer has patched a single game in his life.

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

With any luck, there might be fan patches. I've read other reviews and the game still seems to play okay at the very least. If I can get it for $2.50 on a Steam sale, I'll take it.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

It should be at least 5 dollars in the upcoming spring sale.  It isn't selling that well, which is a good thing for future deals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users