wesnoth's Content

There have been 6 items by wesnoth (Search limited from 17-November 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#950478 MapMirror - Symmetrical map creator

Posted by wesnoth on 04 March 2014 - 10:54 PM in Map and Terrain Discussion

Bump to refresh a dead link. It's the same version as before, but this link shouldn't die ;)

#924772 MapMirror - Symmetrical map creator

Posted by wesnoth on 24 June 2013 - 10:36 AM in Map and Terrain Discussion

Yes there are, unfortunately the ui is not the easiest thing to use. Apologies for no help text, changes from 0.02a to 0.04a broke it triggering. There should also be a small readme but I forgot to include it, here's a pastebin of both:
Help
Readme

Examples:
To mirror as in the above image: --octants 0
To mirror the top right (square) quarter: --octants 01 --mirror VH
To mirror the top (triangular) quarter: --octants 07
To mirror from top to bottom: --octants 6701 --mirror H
To mirror from left to right: --octants 4567 --mirror V

Neglecting the mirror order can cause odd effects. For example --octants 4567 without defining the mirror order (which is XYVH by default), will copy the top left quarter to bottom right, and bottom left quarter to top right.

#924724 MapMirror - Symmetrical map creator

Posted by wesnoth on 23 June 2013 - 12:10 PM in Map and Terrain Discussion

Bump, because the maybe 5 people who are interested in this will probably not think to check for edits (and enough has changed to make the program much more useful than before). I'll bump whenever there's a big change, unless a mod stops me.

#923448 MapMirror - Symmetrical map creator

Posted by wesnoth on 10 June 2013 - 01:25 PM in Map and Terrain Discussion

MapMirror is a tool to mirror part of an existing RA2 map (and possibly other games, untested), the idea is to take the pain away from creating symmetrical maps. It is nowhere near complete (maybe 15% done).

What is implemented:

• Some of [IsoMappack5]:
    • LAT tilesets,  MiscPaveTile, PavedRoadEnds, RoughGround, DirtRoadSlopes, PavedRoads, Medians, RampSmooth, PavedRoadSlopes, WaterBridge, RampBase, ClearTile, RoughTile, BlackTile etc
    • ShorePieces (except the last two odd shaped pieces)
    • WaterSet
    • BridgeSet (ground to bridge junctions mirrored in V only)
    • Many cliff sets (mirrored in V only)
  • [Terrain] (note this is a naive mirror, poles and signs keep the original orientation)
  • Overlay (including ore, gems, walls, bridges etc. 95% of the overlay elements)
  • Starting locations
  • Buildings

How to use:
It's a commandline program, so you'll need to use the commandline. If you're a complete novice try this guide.

Map_Mirror_0_01a_example.png

http://pa-mods.com/m...Mirror-0.04a.7z

See readme and program help for help, or post here. If the link dies let me know. It's now in a state where usable albeit less detailed symmetrical maps can be created. As it stands it could be used to create a symmetrical foundation that the user finishes manually.

#922922 Terrain codes RA2/YR?

Posted by wesnoth on 04 June 2013 - 10:21 PM in Map and Terrain Discussion

Thank you for the reply. I actually know very little so this is a very helpful post. Long time player, but very little modding experience.

Basically I'm playing with the idea of a map generator that copies part of an existing map and flips it to fill the rest of the map. Development has barely started, lots of problems need to be solved and it may not even be viable. So far the flip mechanic works, with [IsoMapPack5] only, on square maps. The tile and sub_tile are currently copied verbatim, which makes any boundaries wrong (boundaries which should be grass->sand are sand->grass, slopes are wrong etc). This is one of the hurdles to overcome and the reason for this topic.

I know it's a big project to get it to work flawlessly and I don't expect to get that far. Maybe one day it'll progress far enough to take some of the pain away from making tournament maps, maybe not. Note that I don't plan on implementing everything, things like map previews are a sidetrack that can be added easily by opening and saving in FA2.

#922899 Terrain codes RA2/YR?

Posted by wesnoth on 04 June 2013 - 04:31 PM in Map and Terrain Discussion

I've decoded [IsoMappack5] and am trying to read the contents of the cells. To be explicit I can see these:

struct Iso_Map_Pack_Entry {
unsigned short x;
unsigned short y;
short tile;
unsigned char zero1;
unsigned char zero2;
unsigned char sub_tile;
unsigned char z;
unsigned char zero3;
};

I'm looking for a full listing of the tile variable (what code is what item), and the sub_tile if it works like that (it's never changed in my testing so far so I don't know anything about it). It's possible to work it out using final alert 2 to create examples of every tile, but it would take so long, is prone to errors, and things will be missed (a real pain I want to avoid).

[OverlayDataPack] and [OverlayPack] are next on my todo list, if anyone has hints to help me read them quicker I'd appreciate it.

edit: I've checked the 100 MO maps and there's 767 tile types and 57 sub tile types used, so it's not something I want to work out manually.