NOTE: For Windows, follow this guide here: https://forums.revor...allation-guide/
UPDATE: If you don't want to play online, you can just use this to install quickly: https://lutris.net/g...r-middle-earth/ (I'm not sure if this installs all the patches)
A while ago someone created this tool which lets you play BFME on a Mac, and I was thinking I would give it a shot to port BFME to Debian-based Linux (i.e. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc) and make a guide for it (here). I put a catchy title so it can be caught by search engines incase a guide already exists (besides the Mac one linked above) so I can link it here, otherwise I could just keep updating the thread with my findings.
Would people be interested in this sort of thing?
Edit: Steps so far (will clean up)
- If you don't have wine installed, run sudo apt-get install wine
- Run wine --version. If your version is below 3.03, update it manually here: https://tecadmin.net...ntu-and-debian/ (the wget part doesn't work, download the key manually by pasting the URL in your browser, cd into the downloads folder and then run the next command)
- Download the BFME iso
- Run sudo apt-get install furiusisomount
- Run furiusisomount, click "Mount" (top right), and open your .iso
- Double click the mounted path so it opens in your explorer
- Right click explorer and select "Open in Terminal"
- Run winecfg
- A "Wine configuration" window should pop up. Click the tab that says "Libraries"
- Click "New override for library" and find "d3d8" - click Add
- Find d3d8 (builtin,native) in your new "Existing overrrides" tab, click on it and hit "Edit"
- Select "Builtin (wine)", hit OK, hit OK again (this will enable DirectX 9.0)
- Run wine AutoRun.exe (Note: This command works best on Test distributions since Wine has had massive updates recently and it a whole lot better)
- Select your language and click around the bottom-left to find "Install"
- Enter a CD Key
- Use default install directory, follow prompts
- When it says "Launch game", exit, and download the all in one patch 1.06 installer (if it tells you to "Enter CD ROM" here, ignore that and let it crash)
- Before running the All In One Patch installer, download the v1.03 patch: https://www.gamefron...h-patch-english (For non-English patches, find here: https://www.gamefron...ry/patches-105)
- cd to your Downloads directory, run the v1.03 patch installer (i.e. "wine LotrBfMe-65539-english.exe", follow prompts (note: current wine versions hide the prompts behind eachother. Move them out of the way, this install should take seconds))
- After that's done downloading, run the All In One Patch Installer the same way. Make sure in the "Select Components" you add the T3A Online Launcher to play online with us!
- cd into ~/.wine/drive_c/users
- cd into your username
- cd AppData
- mkdir Roaming
- cd Roaming
- mkdir "My Battle for Middle-earth Files"
- cd "My Battle for Middle-earth Files"
- Run the following command:
- cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/EA\ GAMES/The\ Battle\ for\ Middle-earth\ \(tm\)/
- Run wine lotrbfme.exe
Edit: t3aonline.exe doesn't work, so you'll have to go without the launcher. I'm sure future wine versions will fix that, so maybe if you're reading this guide in 2019 it'll work. Until then though, trek on without!004d:fixme:wincodecs:JpegDecoder_Frame_CopyPalette (0x14ab64,0x150e70): stub 003f:fixme:thread:NtCreateThreadEx 0x32e634, 1fffff, (nil), 0x9c, 0x3f0000, 0x3f0095, 0, 0, 0, 0, (nil) semi-stub!
I followed your instructions one by one but when I enter the last comand "wine lotrbfme.exe" there is opened a transparent window and nothing happens.
This is the resulting log:
002e:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x1e80000 0 0x33fde4 4 stub
002e:fixme:wincodecs:JpegDecoder_Frame_CopyPalette (0x155d24,0x15c010): stub
I'm using ubuntu gnome 16.04 LTS.
May you help me?
Edit: I tried to start via "wine Autorun.exe" in ~/tBfMe_iso and got following error: