Photo

Is there a way I can give the Libra Clone a new cameo and name?

Best Answer mevitar, 14 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

You cannot use same image file for two units if you want them to have different cameos. Ares doesn't change anything here. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Divine

Divine

NGL, I was kinda drunk when I registered with this name.

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

So, I'm doing some modifications on MO for private use. I'm messing with the Infantry Only game mode in particular. What I want to do, is to get rid of the Libra Clones support power, but make them trainable like normal infantry. There are two problems tho. First is that the Libra Clone uses the same cameo on the sidebar as the true Libra. I understand that it is because they use the same SHP file, and the cameo is bound to it in the art.ini file. Still, given the possibilities of the Ares dll, I wonder if I can somehow override this, and give the buildable Libra clone the cameo used by the support power that normally spawns them?

The other is that the Libra Clone is simply called "Libra" in game. How can I change it to "Libra Clone"? Can I? I gave the UI name of the support power to the Libra Clone, but that plural form really bothers me.

Edited by Divine, 12 August 2017 - 05:22 PM.

Some unofficial stuff I made for Mental Omega

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron
Skirmish Map: (2) Commietopia

Feedback and showcase thread

#2 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:54 AM

I'm not entirely sure, but can you override Artmo.ini definition in the map?

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#3 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

I confirmed in the game that overriding Art is not possible in map ini. You'll have to crack the mix.

Unit's in-game name can be changed by modifying the "Name" key, either in rules.ini or in overridden map ini.

In-game speed vs real life speed?   
Malver in Obisidian Sands?   
Strength-Agility-Intellect subfactions?    

#4 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

I confirmed in the game that overriding Art is not possible in map ini. You'll have to crack the mix.

Unit's in-game name can be changed by modifying the "Name" key, either in rules.ini or in overridden map ini.

Even if Art.ini entries could be modified, it wouldn't help. Both Libra and her clones use the same SHP file. The entry of the SHP file contains the reference to the cameo associated with it. If I did modify it, it would affect not only the clones, but the true Libra as well.  I'm also pretty sure that the in-game name of units is given by the UIName key, not the plain Name key. The plain Name key is used in the map editor. The UIName is a reference to an entry in a text database that contains all the names, mission descriptions etc. It's made that way to make translation of the game to different languages easier. I have no wish to edit that database just for this, tho.

Sidebar icons for normally not buildable stuff: Yuri Prime, Space CommandoAllied Jackal (obsolete)Gravitron

#5 PACER

PACER

RTS Lorewalker

• Members
  • 547 posts
  •  Much to babble about

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

Even if Art.ini entries could be modified, it wouldn't help. Both Libra and her clones use the same SHP file. The entry of the SHP file contains the reference to the cameo associated with it. If I did modify it, it would affect not only the clones, but the true Libra as well.  I'm also pretty sure that the in-game name of units is given by the UIName key, not the plain Name key. The plain Name key is used in the map editor. The UIName is a reference to an entry in a text database that contains all the names, mission descriptions etc. It's made that way to make translation of the game to different languages easier. I have no wish to edit that database just for this, tho.

You were talking about their cameos. It can be changed to the support power's one as you wished.

For the Name and UIName, thanks for correcting me. I've been wrong all the time.

In-game speed vs real life speed?   
Malver in Obisidian Sands?   
Strength-Agility-Intellect subfactions?    

#6 Divine

Divine

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

Ok so let's say I change the cameo associated to the Libra.SHP file (the image used by both Libra and her clones). Now both the True Libra and her clones have that cameo. I don't want that. I want Libra to keep her original cameo, and the buildable clones to use the support power's. That's what I was asking if anyone knows some Ares trick that could override the cameo for the chosen unit only.

#7 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:08 AM

Unless Speeder changed how they worked in 3.0 Beta I'm fairly certain you can just change the cameo of the Libra Clone in Artmo.ini with the CameoPCX= and AltCameoPCX= the only thing missing is there isn't a Veteran Cameo for the Libra Clones so you'll have to make that one yourself.

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#8 Handepsilon

Handepsilon

Firestorm Gnome

• Members
  • 2,325 posts
  • Projects:Renegade X: Firestorm
  •  *intensely rolls around*

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

This part is false btw. You have to modify UIName instead and match it with the strings contained in the .csf files

I like gnomes

YunruThinkEmoji.png

Visit us in Totem Arts site
(Firestorm is still SoonTM)

#9 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:51 PM   Best Answer

You cannot use same image file for two units if you want them to have different cameos. Ares doesn't change anything here.
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users