Photo

Removing Team colours (and golden armour) RotWK

Best Answer King Arveleg, 07 July 2022 - 02:47 PM

My pleasure. 

You should have said so. Which version of 2.02 do you have active?

For the team colors, make a copy of #############202_v8.3.0.big or whichever one you have active. (I prefer v8.3.0 because v8.4.0 has issues when loading saved games.)

Same as before. Edit gamedata.ini inside #############202_v8.3.0.big. When you save it add an extra hash in the beginning and "No Housecolor" to the name. So it becomes like this: ################ 8.3.0 No Housecolor.big. And it sits above the original.

Now for the armor and -mod command method:

You have to extract every 2.02 big file. You start from ___unofficialpatch202_v3.0.0.0.big one by one going up to the one you have active. (Excluding ######unofficialpatch202_v4.0.0.disabled.) 

So you extract all files from ___unofficialpatch202_v3.0.0.0.big to your mod folder. Then you extract all files from ____unofficialpatch202_v3.0.0.1.big to your mod folder and overwrite when it asks you to. And so on until you got them all.

Once that is done. You edit the unit ini files and whatever else you wish to edit. Then you set up your shortcut and that should do it.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jewels

Jewels
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 09:08 PM

Hi there,

I would like to make a small mod for Return of the Witch King, but I am not sure where to start and could really do with some help, I have been doing lots of research but have not found much fitting my particular issue:

-Removing House/Team colours from all factions & Removing golden heavy armour upgrade.

I would be so grateful for any advice or help 

#2 King Arveleg

King Arveleg
  • Members
  • 69 posts
  • Projects:Arnor & Gondor & Rohan ,Kingdom of Arnor

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:38 PM

Hi,

First, get FinalBIG to extract files from INI.big or edit them there. You'll find INI.big in Rotwk main directory.

Secondly, make a copy of ini.big and name it: _ini.big.

Thirdly, open ini.big using FinalBig, then navigate to data\ini\gamedata.ini. Click on it. Then click "edit" then "find" and type: EnableHouseColor and search.

You'll find this:

EnableHouseColor			= Yes

Simply change it to this:

EnableHouseColor			= No

Then click on the save icon and that is it for the house colors.

As for the golden armor, we'll have to extract ini files from ini.big to folder named "my mod" or anything you desire. Then we edit each unit's ini.

For example:

We go to C:\User\Desktop\my mod\data\ini\object\goodfaction\units\men, and we open gondorfighter.ini using Notepad++.

We search for:

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
	//
	//	Sub object upgrading.
	//
	Behavior = SubObjectsUpgrade Armor_Upgrade
		TriggeredBy		= Upgrade_GondorHeavyArmor
		UpgradeTexture	= GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms_HA.tga
		RecolorHouse	= Yes
		ExcludeSubobjects = Forged_Blade
	End

Behavior = SubObjectsUpgrade ForgedBlade_Upgrade
		TriggeredBy		= Upgrade_GondorForgedBlades
		ShowSubObjects	= Forged_Blade
	End	

And change: 

UpgradeTexture    = GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms_HA.tga

To:

UpgradeTexture    = GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms.tga

Or simply add a semicolon like this:

;UpgradeTexture    = GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms_HA.tga

And the game won't read that code.

That way the texture won't change when you upgrade Gondor soldiers with heavy armor. You'll have to do the same thing for each unit that can receive heavy armor in every faction. Once that's done, we make a new rotwk shortcut and edit that shortcut's properties as the following example:

Target: "D:\Games\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod "C:\User\Desktop\my mod"

Startin: "D:\Games\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king"

Then you run your mod from that shortcut and play it. However the same cannot be done for house color. You'll have to do both, because gamedata.ini isn't read by the game when using the shortcut/-mod command method.

Edited by King Arveleg, 03 July 2022 - 06:50 PM.

#3 Jewels

Jewels
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

First, get FinalBIG to extract files from INI.big or edit them there. You'll find INI.big in Rotwk main directory.

Secondly, make a copy of ini.big and name it: _ini.big.

Thirdly, open ini.big using FinalBig, then navigate to data\ini\gamedata.ini. Click on it. Then click "edit" then "find" and type: EnableHouseColor and search.

You'll find this:

EnableHouseColor			= Yes

Simply change it to this:

EnableHouseColor			= No

Then click on the save icon and that is it for the house colors.

As for the golden armor, we'll have to extract ini files from ini.big to folder named "my mod" or anything you desire. Then we edit each unit's ini.

For example:

We go to C:\User\Desktop\my mod\data\ini\object\goodfaction\units\men, and we open gondorfighter.ini using Notepad++.

We search for:

//
	//	Sub object upgrading.
	//
	Behavior = SubObjectsUpgrade Armor_Upgrade
		TriggeredBy		= Upgrade_GondorHeavyArmor
		UpgradeTexture	= GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms_HA.tga
		RecolorHouse	= Yes
		ExcludeSubobjects = Forged_Blade
	End

Behavior = SubObjectsUpgrade ForgedBlade_Upgrade
		TriggeredBy		= Upgrade_GondorForgedBlades
		ShowSubObjects	= Forged_Blade
	End	

And change: 

UpgradeTexture    = GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms_HA.tga

To:

UpgradeTexture    = GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms.tga

Or simply add a semicolon like this:

;UpgradeTexture    = GUManAtArms.tga 0 GUManAtArms_HA.tga

And the game won't read that code.

That way the texture won't change when you upgrade Gondor soldiers with heavy armor. You'll have to do the same thing for each unit that can receive heavy armor in every faction. Once that's done, we make a new rotwk shortcut and edit that shortcut's properties as the following example:

Target: "D:\Games\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod "C:\User\Desktop\my mod"

Startin: "D:\Games\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king"

Then you run your mod from that shortcut and play it. However the same cannot be done for house color. You'll have to do both, because gamedata.ini isn't read by the game when using the shortcut/-mod command method.

Firstly thank you for such a detailed reply. I am using the community patch ROTWK 2.02 by the way, I don't know if this makes any difference at all.

With the ini.big backup/copy do I leave it in the main game folder?

I did the team colours edit exactly as you said but units are still affected by those ghastly bright colours, so it did not work for some reason.

As for the heavy armour change, I just did the Gondor fighter as you said to test it out. Upon launching the game via my mod it comes up with an error message full of code with something about DWARVEN_BATTLEWAGON_UPGRADE_COST and crashes.

So I have not had much luck, sorry if I am being dumb! I am ever so grateful for your help with this!

#4 King Arveleg

King Arveleg
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 02:47 PM   Best Answer

My pleasure. 

You should have said so. Which version of 2.02 do you have active?

For the team colors, make a copy of #############202_v8.3.0.big or whichever one you have active. (I prefer v8.3.0 because v8.4.0 has issues when loading saved games.)

Same as before. Edit gamedata.ini inside #############202_v8.3.0.big. When you save it add an extra hash in the beginning and "No Housecolor" to the name. So it becomes like this: ################ 8.3.0 No Housecolor.big. And it sits above the original.

Now for the armor and -mod command method:

You have to extract every 2.02 big file. You start from ___unofficialpatch202_v3.0.0.0.big one by one going up to the one you have active. (Excluding ######unofficialpatch202_v4.0.0.disabled.) 

So you extract all files from ___unofficialpatch202_v3.0.0.0.big to your mod folder. Then you extract all files from ____unofficialpatch202_v3.0.0.1.big to your mod folder and overwrite when it asks you to. And so on until you got them all.

Once that is done. You edit the unit ini files and whatever else you wish to edit. Then you set up your shortcut and that should do it.

#5 Jewels

Jewels
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 07:10 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond with such an in depth reply.

From what my options menu indicates and my files I have 2.02 v 8.0.1

I can gladly say that it worked! Team colours are gone (much more realistic and immersive!) Thank you for your help!

As for changing the heavy armour, it worked a treat on the Gondor Swordsmen! The gold armour is gone. However on lots of units I had a bit of trouble finding the SubObjects armour section. In the end I did through and now all is done, some units had multiple _HA to change but all seemed to have worked well. Thank you for your guidance

Thank you again for your help and I am sorry for bothering you. After this little foray into modding my respect for modders has gone up exceptionally!

Thank you again for your time. I have played many mods over the years, yet to be able to make my own little modification is fantastic.

#6 King Arveleg

King Arveleg
  • Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 09:53 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond with such an in depth reply.

From what my options menu indicates and my files I have 2.02 v 8.0.1

I can gladly say that it worked! Team colours are gone (much more realistic and immersive!) Thank you for your help!

As for changing the heavy armour, it worked a treat on the Gondor Swordsmen! The gold armour is gone. However on lots of units I had a bit of trouble finding the SubObjects armour section. In the end I did through and now all is done, some units had multiple _HA to change but all seemed to have worked well. Thank you for your guidance

Thank you again for your help and I am sorry for bothering you. After this little foray into modding my respect for modders has gone up exceptionally!

Thank you again for your time. I have played many mods over the years, yet to be able to make my own little modification is fantastic.

My pleasure. Glad I could help.
Feel free to contact me anytime you need help with something. You're welcome.

Edited by King Arveleg, 10 July 2022 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users