7 replies to this topic

#1 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

Now, i know that this is because of protection, but i have searched through the map long and hard looking for something amiss, and all i notice is that some things are in a different order(or i think they are) to other 'non-protected' maps.

I dont plan on being an ass of anything(and saying i made them when i didnt or any of that crap), i just want to be able to open the maps in FA2.

Could someone please pm to me how to make them open?

Also, with the official maps, is there some way to make them open too? what about making them transferable? cause i want to use one of the official maps i downloaded as a base for a modded map(circuit board is the one i want), but if it cant transfer then i cant use it...

Anyway, any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SWG

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Official maps always open, if you are talking about the ones that end .yro however, they are actually mix files that you need to extract the map from first. You will need to open it and set Official=no and also rename the map so people know it isn't the real "circuit city" so that they transfer. As for opening protected maps, its one of those things that I don't think anyone who knows how to fix it will pass it on out of respect for the other people who also know it sort of thing. Kind of like the magicians code not to reveal how certain tricks are done. Its one of those things you have to already know for people to talk about it.

#3 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

yeah, the ones that end in .yro are the ones im talking about

so wait, can you step me through this, cause i think i didnt what you said, but it still wont open
(it gets an error, then if i try loading the backup it said doesn't support theater)

so,
you open map in wordpad
change to official=no
change the name of the map file(i just copied my circut board, so its new name was 'copy of CrctBrd')

do i need to change the extensions name?(so make it .yrm instead of yro?)
cause i tried that just encase, still didnt work...

are you sure that it can actually be done? if so, could you, like i said, step me through what i have to do.

also, i understand people not wanting to blab out how to do it, but i still want to know(thats why a asked to be pmed, that way they dont have to let everyone know)

is it normal that my map editor gets an error and crashes when i try and open a protected map though? cause i think i remember on my old computer it just said the theater error, but on this one, it crashes, then when i try loading the backup it gives theater error...

Posted Image

#4 DCoder

DCoder

One of the Few

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  Old Grumpy Bastard

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:32 AM

Good god. Are you really that slow?

the ones that end .yro however, they are actually mix files that you need to extract the map from first

Also, there are multiple ways to make a map unreadable for FA2, and just because you want to know doesn't mean you get to. Tough luck.
Ares - How do you want to improve YR today?
What's stopping you from migrating to Ares? We can't implement it unless you tell us!

ModEnc - C&C Modding Encyclopedia | Modders' Quote Database | Yet Another C&C Modding Forum

#5 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

sorry, didnt notice that bit :cool2:

but why all this protection anyway?(on official maps and protected user made maps)

all i want to do is add a script(afterglow i think its called, the one that makes building glow), cause the map has a weird day/night loop, that goes from blinding bright, to so dark you cant see a thing,
or i might just make the day/night loop a normal day/night. which is alot easier to do with the tool script then manually going through...

thats all i want to do
but i cant ask the creator of the map because they aren't on line any more... i got the maps probably a year or two ago

and i've given up on the official map, its not That good...

Posted Image

#6 Aro

Aro

Alcohol Fueled

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 476 posts
  • Projects:Twisted Insurrection, TS: UMP, Evolution
  •  Beer Prophet
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Staff / News Poster

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:05 AM

Some people protect their maps because they don't want them slightly edited and posted somewhere or shown somewhere else where the name of the original creator has been replaced to someone else. It's happened to me many-a-time before.
Aro - Leader of Twisted Insurrection and Evolution.

Tiberian Sun: UMP
Tiberian Sun: Modding Tools
Tiberian Sun: Mapping Tools

"Aro is OP." - TiberianFuture
"Aro for Dictator!" - Droke
"Aro for President!" - CL4ymOr3
"You're Aro, you always win." - daTS
"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

#7 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:23 AM

The official maps are in mix files because they need an additional pkt file IIRC to set the name and mode compatibilities since they are .map files like all the other official maps in the games. The mix files are names YRO just so they look different to normal mix files and get considered the "offical" map format. You can make maps in YRO format yourself and even bundle multiple maps in a YRO IIRC, but you need to add strings to the ra2md.csf for the map names to work correctly.

#8 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

yeah... i can actually understand that

i would be pissed if someone just slapped their name onto a map i worked hard to make

oh, and thanks for explaining about the .yro's for me blade, i understand now :cool2:

but i guess no one is going to tell me how to unlock the advan mod maps then?
(like i said, all i want to do is add afterglow script)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users