38 replies to this topic

#21 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

ModDB used to mirror on FileFront, they've only got FileShack now.

#22 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Two links are better than none :p

#23 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

My stuff only has one link (Fileshack), do ModDB host anything themselves?

#24 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

Well, they used to. Maybe they're feeling the squeeze too?

#25 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Yeah I did think they used to but I haven't seen an actual ModDB mirror for a long, long time. I suppose with FileFront there was absolutely no need for them to use their space up on downloads when they were hosting all the images and videos aswell.

#26 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

It's the 31st (ie the site "closed" yesterday).
I've downloaded several files this morning and as far as I can tell you can still browse the files perfectly fine from the front page which looks the same as always.

If you go on the individual game sites it says the file categories don't exist but the stuff is definitely there.

#27 Hellopope

Hellopope
  • Project Team
  • 7 posts
  • Projects:Freelancer - Battlestar Galactica - Exodus Mod
  •  What are you doing Dave?

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Im betting they will try to keep the site online for aslong as they can and then shut it down, give us all a chance to Download the files we want.

and Moddb is a good site, it hosts your mod and pics etc if you upload em.
Only when all fails shall we give up.

#28 Digz

Digz

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 1,070 posts
  • Projects:Petrolution
  • Division:Petrolution
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

LOL! They're only keeping up the sites to the end of the month so they can get their ad revenues, remember this is a big company where talking about, with this announcement people are checking constantly = more hits therefore hopefully more ad revenue or something along those lines. The only reason why it's up will be to collect their add revenue for March and that's it. I wish I could assist Revora further in getting the mods, but they have cancelled my access to the sites FTP and basically the whole system so I can't get in. There has been scripts though to back up the sites that many people are using including EA (they are backing up CnC Files and LotRFiles, Battlefield files I'm not sure of). So all the mods are safe as far as I know, I've had contact from Ap0c himself so it's fine.

I know we can't start hosting stuff but we should get some affiliates like Fileshack to host our mods for us

#29 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

I read that the FileFront staff have got all of the files and are launching a new network without corporate involvement.

#30 Digz

Digz

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Tis true, but only the 5 most active sites will be launched, what considers activity I don't know because all of my sites were active but I don't think I want to move to Strategy Informer, they knicked all my files at LotRFiles without permission, or should I say all of developers files without their permission, so no thanks. I have a job here to do and will carry it out, till you fire me.

Just a quick edit, our leaders keep saying that this new life will be without cooperate involvement, all SI wants is money and is a cooperation, so it's quite ironic really.

#31 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Filefront Forums are back, files are browsable again, although the marh 30th announcement is still there. Filefront was either bought by someone or this was a horrible aprils fools joke.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#32 Digz

Digz

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have honestly no idea what's going on, people think they've lost their jobs and lots of people have moved to different sites so if it is a joke by the upper management, then it's a terrible one thats going to cost them dearly.

#33 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

By the looks of it, they've been bought at the last-second. All a tad confusing.
Posted Image

#34 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Yea, I also think that someone else bought it. Anyway, today is a great day to post news about it. Unique opportunity in a year :unsure:
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#35 Digz

Digz

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Yes apparently it has been brought but I'm still awaiting news from the network manager.

#36 adummy

adummy

Keep it Clean!

• Project Team
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

#37 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

Figures it changed hands again. No one lets a big popular network die.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#38 Hellopope

Hellopope
  • Project Team
  • 7 posts
  • Projects:Freelancer - Battlestar Galactica - Exodus Mod
  •  What are you doing Dave?

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Would the old staff of filefront get to keep their jobs though?

And depending on the new management depends on how good the service will recover ;).
Only when all fails shall we give up.

#39 Digz

Digz

title available

• Division Leaders
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

There is no "new" management. The management bought it over, the old owners of FileFront that is, so all old jobs are recovered. There will be big changes in site layouts and things will be done much faster to expect some much harder competition from the network sites. Of course many of you think where do I stand, FileFront is and will always be my home, it was moving to Strategy Informer which I said absolutely no to, but as long as the link remains and the old managers are in charge like they used to, I'm afraid to say, my home is over there.

If you think my duties at FileFront would make me work less over here, then feel free to let me go, I'm under no illusions that my main duty is to FileFront and Petrolution will be second, that is unacceptable but LotRFiles is my site, and I would not feel comfortable in anyone else taking it over nor WoWFiles or anyone to watch over Warcraft 3 or SupCom Files. If you feel it will impede my duties here, I have no worries in you letting me go.

If it is to be my last post, then I really do thank all of you for letting me in at such short notice and I regret not being able to stay here for longer. You do what so many sites DON'T do, and that's helping modders, which I really do thank you for, your the best group of the people out there to support the longevity of the game itself and God Bless you all and God Bless Revora and God Bless the United States of Europe *throws up*.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users