Photo
- - - - -

ShowTrack - A Soundtrack Review Series (Maybe)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:36 AM

Right guys, I thought I'd better give you a heads up on this video, which one of my friends and I made, though it's something I'm not exactly proud of, but hey 😛

So, this friend had the "bright" idea of doing a soundtrack review series on youtube a few days ago, and I kind of agreed to it. Regrettably. I didn't know he'd ask me to film it on that day, with no time to prepare lines or audio clips or anything...

Just so you know, I had no real part in it besides turning up on the day and spouting random stuff at the camera

As you can probably guess, I'm the one with (relative) taste in soundtracks, but as some of you know, I'm a fairly shy and defensive person, so I was a little more revering of my picks than I'd normally be, especially Rogue One, which I'd probably call "Mainly good" if I were asked now, but got a bit caught up in the heat of the moment.

And yes, some of the things I said were mistakes, as you may pick up on (from memory, I accidentally called Jedi Steps & Finale the best cue of the 2000s, instead of the 2010s) but as it was all done on the fly, it's likely to be extremely crap. Having never really done any pieces to camera before, I know I'm rubbish, and haven't watched anything from it since it was filmed...

I hope you enjoy it but suspect you won't :p Please leave any feedback and/or insults on my character below :)

Here's a linky:
  • Pasidon likes this

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:43 AM

Actually, I'm considering stealing your idea if that's any consolation.  I'll let you keep it out of the kindness of my boon.  Here's what I think... these amateur review tid-bits always go the same way when they first start out:

1. Long-winded introductions

2. Rambling about the show in general that no one cares about

3. Arbitrary small talk that no one cares about

You and your partner can cut the fluff and get right into the meat of what you're trying to do: REVIEW SOUNDTRACKS.  No introductions, no small talk... just jump right into it with the music playing that you're commenting on and have relevant art in the background accompanied by the names of the individual scores that pop up.  That bleak, desolate hovel you filmed in was lovely and English, but unnecessary.  And neither of you have striking camera presence, so the camera is just a needless gimmick if anything.  You two just need to comment on the soundtracks while the scores are playing in the background.  It's an idea that could legitimately do well, as long as you get that commentary practice in and gather general knowledge that people would be interested in hearing.  Looking forward to episode 2.

#3 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for watching, Pasi, and special thanks for the feedback - I'll pass it on.

And feel free to nick the idea if you want, I'd like to see your version if you ever do one!

Edited by Bofur, 28 December 2016 - 02:23 AM.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:30 AM

If you want more inspiration on how to do a camera show should you decide to stick with the format, check out Redlettermedia.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

First thing I've got to say is get a Zoom recorder/microphone and eventually some microphones on top of that, but the Zoom alone should be able to get both of your voices without picking in too much noise and not being in your faces.

Eventually get a sound dampening cloth to cover the back of the room to reduce reverberation.

Also, did you record this directly on the camera? Why not use OBS studio or some other streaming program to record and add the audio source of the computer directly to the video after recording? Of course, you then probably should get some earplugs to listen to the sound yourselves to avoid having it bleed into the voice recording.

Beyond that, I can imagine this might work with some polish. I'm mentioning all sound improvements because to me sound is vital to having the patience to listen to someone do basically a podcast with some video :p

Edited by duke_Qa, 29 December 2016 - 12:38 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users