Photo

Spawning Star Bases

6 replies to this topic

#1 cpl0311

cpl0311
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Alright I've been working on this for a while trying to tweek it to the point of decent balance, but I'm just going to throw it out there and perhaps provide an update later. Or you can simply mod it yourself for those of you who know how.

We all know load times have suffered a bit and the only way to decrease them is to cut initial start units. This however decreases game play because we all know that more units = a better battle. So I simply added ships to stations and erased them from the campaign file. My GFFA full loads in a little under 60 seconds, yet every space battle I participate in is decent.

Starbases - all starbases spawn ships. R/E/P all spawn ships and they are all different. Each base spawns factions based units. You will see what I mean. Since the Pirates don't have the proper building AI, I gave their stations basically only illegal ships which will present a huge problem for your fighters. It will basically make them worthless.

NO FIGHTERS - stations only spawn corvettes and up. Why? Because Ghost turned most of the frigates into carriers anyway and when I had the stations spawning fighters I ended up with about 2,500 units on the screen (fail ensued). Spawn time is around 30 seconds so if you run in with fast ships it will take a minute for the (reinforcements) to arrive.

Golan II and III spawn ships, but only for the Pirates, once again because their AI is yet to be ironed out.

Now here is where it gets izky, you will have to modify your campaign files and take the starting forces out. Otherwise you are going to have A. long load times B. ridiculous amounts of ships in tac mode.

My campaign - when I took the starting forces out I also changed the planets initial stations. Essentially all of my GFFA planets start with Pirate level 4 and 5 space stations (E/R Colonies and Asteroids) I also gave pretty much every planet Golan II and III guns as well. I like a challenge so I made it harder for myself.

Finally my friend and I are working on adding new ships to the game (Tyrant missile cruiser, Mandator star dreadnought) so I haven't even tried to edit any of the other campaign files. If asked I might throw my attention at that too. I am welcome to all forms of feed back and indeed want it. Download drag and drop. Enjoy.

Attached Files

#2 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

Something is wrong with the starbase.xml file. It is like "cut".

#3 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

Cut how? The one I downloaded is 7128 lines long.

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#4 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:49 AM

Look how it ends.

#5 cpl0311

cpl0311
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:04 AM

Look how it ends.

Mine ends like this

</StarBase>

</StarBases>

Look how the vanilla one ends.....

</StarBase>

</StarBases>

#6 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

Oh. The one I downloaded ended strange. I'll download again.

#7 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

Mod added to the mod list. Could you report any new mods there as well? I can't play PR now, so I visit this forum less often and it's difficult for me to keep track of the things :p

Another request - since your mod is designed for use with heavily altered campaign, could you release it as well? The changes that you describe usually take a while to finish... :p

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users