Mollock, Troll-King?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

I've heard Rhovanion Alliance and SEE talk about having Mollock as a hero.
As far as I have researched, Mollock (the name) doesn't actually exist within Tolkien Fiction. I don't even think Games Workshop made it up (on thier website, the model of Mollock is called ''Troll Chieftan''. Is this name canon?

Also I've seen some pictures of the troll in the films but does anyone have any reference pics like merchendise models or something? I'd love to see more shots of him!

Thanks in advance! :)
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#2 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:10 AM

The name was made up by one of the RA staffers, Dain I think. But it's been copied by loads of other mods.

Mollock is based on the troll chieftain that fights Aragorn in the films.
Posted Image

#3 Prince of the Dark Forest

Prince of the Dark Forest
  • Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

Ah, Thanks for clearing that up!
Ignited into the world in a flash of lightning, it gleams faintly in the heart of its mother, wood. It begins as an ember, a mere wisp of heat and colour. Its chance of survival at this critical moment is minute, yet it fights on, against the unforgiving cold, against the depths of night and against its mortal enemy: rain.

#4 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

On the name Mollock:

Reference to the lore [in the books it is Beregond, not Aragorn, who is attacked by the troll-chieftain]:

... Beregond was stunned and overborne, and he fell; and the great troll-chief that smote him down bent over him, reaching out a clutching claw; for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.

References on the internet, searching "Mollock":

Only one useful result [disregarding facebook-profiles etc.]: The name apparently originates from a RPG-universe called "Dragonstar", see entry Mollock ... the following quote is an extract from their description:

Mollock (Pronounced Moe-lock) are a race of very tough resistant beings from another Dimension, one in which they have conquered almost every other race they have encountered. As a species they live to fight and conquer, they believe they are racially and genetically superior to all other species, and in truth they are hardier, more determined and stronger than most, which only serves to enforce their beliefs.

Mollock are hugely muscular humanoid beings around 9 feet tall, with tough muscle corded bodies and powerful limbs. Their skin tone is primarily one which goes from Red through purple to blue, and often the extremeties of a Mollock will be one extreme or the other. They have powerful legs that end in three clawed feet. The Mollock have smallish heads with strong bony ridges under the skin, their eyes are small and golden and quite close together, they have no apparent mouths just a series of filter like membranes. The Mollock eat through a small hidden mouth amongst the membranes on their face, this small sharp toothed mouth is vertical and is designed to rip food.

The Mollock ... have made only one attempt to invade into our reality to date, and the Mollock have not returned since, beyond the odd raiding party. It is rumoured that the Mollock have already begun massing once more for another invasion ...

Indeed they now seem to proliferate into the world of Middle-earth, having infested such mods as WotE, SEE, Edain and probably others too ...

--------------------

A sad development, but it seems to follow a certain pattern in that part of the gaming world, who really don't care much about Tolkiens 'Legendarium' when it comes to making fancy names, cf. this:

What were the names of the nine Nazgûl?
[An article from the Encyclopedia of Arda FAQ]

One of them, the second in rank after the Lord of the Nazgûl himself, was named Khamûl, and also known as the Black Easterling. This is the only one of the nine Nazgûl explicitly named by Tolkien.

This may come as a surprise if you've come across one of the many sources that list a set of names of the other eight [...] These names are common across the Web, and often have detailed biographies to go with them.

None of these eight names, though, have their origins in Tolkien's own work. Instead, they come from a series of role-playing and trading card games produced by Iron Crown Enterprises ... [emerging] from the unavoidable need for these games to develop and expand Tolkien's universe to meet the needs of the gaming fraternity. The games' popularity accounts for the regular appearance of the names, to the extent that they're now frequently presented as the 'true' names of the remaining eight Nazgûl.

Some readers have even suggested that these names are so widely accepted that they should be considered the de facto names for the eight otherwise unnamed Ringwraiths. ...

As for The Encyclopedia of Arda, this site is very specifically aimed at exploring Tolkien's own works, so it really isn't appropriate to include names or biographical details that we know did not come from Tolkien himself.

... exploring Tolkien's own works ... it really isn't necessary to include names that we know did not come from Tolkien himself. ... That.

Edited by Námo, 24 February 2010 - 09:45 AM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:54 AM

As I said in the other topic, it's just something one of the old RA staffers came up with. It's not a "sad development", not every character has a name in the books and as far as I'm concerned, Mollock (which I pronounce Mol-ock, not Moe-lock) is a name that sounds LOTR-ish enough.
Posted Image

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Aye, it appealed to me. Which is why it's in use for MME as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#7 Crusard

Crusard

Local n00b

• Project Team
  • 483 posts
  • Projects:Crusard's Tower Defense
  •  Poor feedback kills mapper.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

Btw, I wonder why we don't have a general LOTR stuff subforum?

Posted Image

#8 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:56 AM

The Green Dragon.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users